Health and Fitness, May, 2010

Share healthy living habits.
Lynlee

Re: Health and Fitness, May, 2010

Postby Lynlee » Mon May 17, 2010 12:06 am

Harmony - when I used mow a lot I found drinking a lot of water (8glasses/jug) with a bit of rock salt disolved -taken frequently while I mowed -would help get past the exhaustion. Also I tend to only put so much fuel in the mower - about 45min worth. When it runs out I stop.
Need to get mower to repair shop. - Its key start as I can't pull start a mower. My umpf is no longer there.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon May 17, 2010 11:45 am

Trying to start being normal again.

I did the "basic plus" workout this morning right after school run and right before breakfast. It is 15 mins beginning with stretching, moving into intense exercise, then 4 minutes of "hoedowns", which is aerobic and gets the system moving.

I felt well afterward, legs "humming" that they had been worked out. I felt strong enough to sing "I Feel Good", but not powerful enough to announce I was "Amazon Woman", as I used to after long workouts.

So, for a start, just about right.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu May 20, 2010 10:14 am

I think shopping can be very tough exercise sometimes. I'm sure dd30 will be up for some when she is here this weekend. With small children it is challenging for exercise and mental energy, too! ;)

This morning I did the Basic Workout Plus again. Deliberately put a little time between to work up to it and only felt a little muscle strain in my arms - not bad at all. I knew if I started right in with everyday, I'd strain muscles.

Probably trying to keep up with too many records right now, but I can scribble healthy habits met into the PocketMod and transpose later, so I don't begrudge it. Also keeping healthy habits card and page-a-week for more notes. I need to rein in some slip-ups and get back in control again.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu May 20, 2010 12:58 pm

Health: had to call the e.m.t.'s again.
I had to have another I.V. to get my blood sugars up. I had to have two pokes this time.
It took them a couple min. longer to get here this time. Five were here this time maybe some were in training. I'm getting meds./doses tweaked. Doc. returned my call right away
and he advised me on it so that is good. [Hubby thinks my monitor is reading high.]
Sigh he's experiencing a bit stress today.
Just did a shorten walk today as it started to rain and dgd did not come with shoes & sox I was
concerned that she would kick 'em off. Taking it pretty easy today myself.
Last edited by Nancy on Thu May 20, 2010 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu May 20, 2010 3:08 pm

((Nancy))

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu May 20, 2010 7:08 pm

Lynlee, that's probably the same thought as the gatorade thing because that's high in sodium too I think.

My arms are still sore (different muscles, the ones in upper arms but in back above the elbows) from using the heavy weedeater. I used to dread doing that years ago when it was my job and I had a lighter one then. DH tools are the big industrial size. :(

Nancy, is your insulin the synthetic kind? I think they did away with the natural stuff years ago didn't they? D1H was sure he was allergic to the synthetic kind and had a terrible time finding the pork stuff anywhere.

Harriet, BWTG getting back into your exercise routine. Don't you find it hard to get back into the habit once it's not been done for a while?

I am missing my bike rides with DH. He is missing them too.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu May 20, 2010 9:03 pm

My new stuff is called Novolin R made from human dna.

I've swept seeds in the carport deck and patio today.
Walked a short walk too.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Thu May 20, 2010 9:36 pm

Hoping bs things settle for you soon Nancy. It sounds like a real balancing act.
Harmony - Its from a rehydration recipe I found - I just kept the salt bit - left out the sugar, citric acid, some other things... I would fear those very heavy gardening machines. But then I don't have the strength to pull start a mower.
Harriet beside walking I could do with some daily strengthening. or most days anyway.

My shoulders are a problem in exercise class / yoga. Now they just ache. Right one mostly. I think I need take care in the gentle yoga classes, and just go do circuit the trainer gave me w/o a lot of over head stuff.
Today my % muscle is lowest since I bought my scales. (though I was 3lb heavier) Walking is not at my usual rate either. Maybe its a case for just keeping on and doing what I can. Keeping a full range of shoulder movement is a priority.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu May 20, 2010 11:47 pm

Lynlee, those scales that measure muscle-to-fat ratio are seldom accurate, so don't take them too seriously, BUT they would measure change so you could see improvement, I'm sure. Yes, just keep on keeping on. In whatever you want to increase, just do a little more each time.

For shoulders, be sure to change position sometimes at a desk/computer. Women especially tend to hunch their shoulders at a desk/computer and cause trouble. (Ask me how I know :roll: )

Harmony, that would be the triceps and even though it is not a good idea to do so much they hurt, it is good you've found an activity that works them. Maybe you could just do a little each time.

I helped dd11 try on shorts today in a dressing room. Boy, it's true - if you want to see yourself at your WORST just go to a flourescent-light-lit dressing room and look in the mirror. (Not her - me, of course)

Somehow I did not gain weight yesterday on the menu of foolishness I ate :oops: and did not have any problems. (TWO ice cream sandwiches. I think I lost my mind for a bit there.) Today I have been so good. Calling it a God-Made foods day with only a small non-dairy popsicle out of place, which I think I can forget (I judge myself on mostly God-Made foods and try not to nit-pick).

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Fri May 21, 2010 7:24 am

Boy, I definitely lost my mind a little yesterday. I went on a sugar binge that would not quit. And of course I felt terrible afterwards... physically AND mentally. :oops:
This month has been a miserable failure (again) re: exercise. :oops: Maybe once school is OUT I can get myself back together.
Tomorrow is another day.

Return to “Healthy Habits”