Health and Fitness, June, 2010

Share healthy living habits.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Health and Fitness, June, 2010

Postby Nancy » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:29 am

Way to go Lynl.
I did a walk w/ my umbrelly yesterday
and weeds a couple of spots
plus clipped back grass in the front around the big tree and
along front of house and side yard.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:29 am

Just bring the log along in new posts, lucylee. That's what I do. We are happy with seeing posts, of course. ~~~encouragement vibes~~~

Harmony, I read in PYWC that you and dh biked for first time since his shoulder operation. That is wonderful. I hope he felt well afterward.

Weeding - I think I need a stool. Ds25 bought me a garden stool... ... where is that thing!!! Just realized I don't know... ... Must look in storage barn.

I am weeding some each evening. Fescue with powerful roots comes up in HRH's weedproof :roll: bed by the front walkway. He went against my wishes several years ago and put black plastic down between walkway and house with white smooth rocks over that, insisting it would cut down on work. I have never worked harder! It takes a lot of ooompf to pull these out (hoeing isn't possible), and they really get ahead of me. I don't know if I could get the leverage with the stool, but I should try, because this is hard bending over. Can't even think of on-the knees weeding there, with only hard walkway or rock to choose between!

So glad to hear water has helped dizzyness, Lynlee. You had gone through your summer when you experienced that. I didn't think of it, but they say the end of summer is the likeliest time for dehydration.

My best water tip is a pint of water first thing in the morning, before getting "a taste" for anything else. I am also back to colored rubber bands around my glass, one for each pint through the day. I keep my glass in the kitchen window to remind. It is actually a pint canning jar but with a handle. I always tell myself if I see another like this I'll buy, but never see one.

2 hours per week exercise goal
wk of June 14
Monday - 30 mins of total workout
Tuesday - 15 mins basic workout
Wednesday - 30 mins (1st and last 15s of total workout)
Friday - 30 mins of total workout

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:33 pm

Week of June 14
Wed. -- 45 minutes walking outdoors
Fri. -- 8 hours vacuuming (stretching, bending, etc. etc.)
Tomorrow is another day.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:37 pm

Lucy - wtg - huge job vacuuming
Nancy - you inspired me to get back in the garden. In days/years long past I used it as a way to get myself moving.
Harriet - I have 3 x 1L (4 cups) bottles of filtered water on my bench atm.atm often one carries over from ystdy so its ready to go in the morning. Its a good visual clue as to where I'm at. Summer I need 2.5L at least it seems. Water is my chosen fluid. no coffee/ herbal tea only. today I chose echinacea. I do have some roast dandelion too occassionally that is v nice and good for innards its claimed.
rule of backs / necks is to keep butt, shoulders, top of head in a straight line.
Would a 2 pronged daisy/dandelion digger help with the Fescue grasses? Its my tool of choice for all sorts of weeds. I started on one of our rogue grasses in the "lawn" yesterday. It has seed heads similar to declared weed pest rats tail though I don't think it is the same. My old mowing man once said I should get rid of it but I didn't.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:51 pm

Walked 45 min. by the river while h. did some fishing helped me to feel better
after feeling puny this afternoon.
Last edited by Nancy on Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:43 am

Can hardly believe I got so brave. Wait - checking myself all over - I seem to be alright! Did a floor workout this morning. Boy, it has been a long time and my muscles could really tell it. (when you dread acid reflux you think long and hard before doing floor exercises)

I believe it was Emptynester with whom I used to post about what time of day to exercise. Definitely the morning time we talked about has turned out best for me. I do best on an empty stomach.

Oatmeal with blackberries for breakfast. (purchased blackberries, Nancy. I am still way too scared of chiggers to go out and pick like you do, although I can even see them ripening in the wild, not far away. You are so blessed in your region to be free of chiggers. I have seen people just covered in bites, suffering and itching. (chiggers love to live on the underside of blackberry leaves, and you don't realize at first you are being bitten)

wk of June 14
Monday - 30 mins of total workout
Tuesday - 15 mins basic workout
Wednesday - 30 mins (1st and last 15s of total workout)
Friday - 30 mins of total workout
Saturday - 30 mins (stretch, then floor workout)

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:29 pm

Yummmm, Harriet, oatmeal & blackberries sound great! I love oatmeal, especially the steel cut. Even dgd11 likes those! :) DH does too -I just need to find a cooking pan small enough to make a batch in. Can always refrigerate the leftovers for other days. Have an electric cooking pot, but it's really too big, but better than opening up the stove, etc. I'd love to find one just like it only smaller. DD liked mine so much she had told dsil she wanted one -she got it for Christmas and has it with her.

Was going to driver over to dd's MH, but dh has the Kushman parked behind me and he's dozing -certainly has the right. I've been pretty tired myself today. Think I was more stressed over DK's trip up here than I realized. Know I woke up about 12:15 last night and my jaw joints really hurt. Got up and took advil & benadryl and slept very well the rest of the night -I was still in the recliner when dh & dd came in at 8am.

Gathering a few things for dd to have in her MH -wonderful to know they can leave here. Told her to be sure to check with me before she buys anything to make sure I don't have it. There's some things here that we've stored, like her beach umbrella, water shoes and I know there are others. Now they can just go be stored in her own. Also slowly packing some things that I'll send back to FL with her. Hoping to have a lot of things out of here when we switch RV's next spring. At least that's the plan.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:19 am

Got a good walk in on Sat.
a moderate one on Sun. after the buffet.
Did great with my b.s. after that am pleased to report first of those I've been to
sense my diag. w/ t1.
Did get a walk in on Mon. too.
Sort of gimped home my foot/ankle acted up it does this from time to time
I was nearly in tears but SO glad when I made it home! Yea!
Of course this was a day I did not have my walking stick w/ me. Go figure! :roll:

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:57 am

H. said the doc. has him on a diet so we had to revamp meal and menus around here.
So I'm rethinking that this week.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:51 pm

Hi, Dee. Hope your back is better and you get a chance to walk more soon.

Hi, Nancy. Is dh's diet just straight weight-loss or is he supposed to eat in a particular way?

I actually went over my exercise goal last week.

To be different today and get in more aerobic exercise, dd11 and I did a half-hour of her "Richard Simmon's Sweatin' to the Oldies" first DVD. (I stretched first)

Later we clothes shopped and it was unhappy and exhausting work, couldn't wait to get away from there.

wk of June 21
Tues - stretch then 30 mins R S 1
Thurs - 30 mins of total workout
Sat - 30 mins of total workout (1st 15 and last 15)
Weekend - heavy cleaning, various!

Return to “Healthy Habits”