Health and Fitness, June, 2010

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Re: Health and Fitness, June, 2010

Postby Harriet » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:43 pm

Come post with us! Don't let your habits slide - come be accountable!
It makes a difference to know you will report!

I really appreciate being able to come in here and post every few days lately so thanks for putting up with me. I think I was really feeling the effects of a careless weekend :( , plus there was definite candy involved :oops: at the first of this week, even though other habits were better.

Can't tell you how much better I feel.

Reached 14 Healthy Habit checkmarks today and 12 yesterday (which is the most I can reach on an "off" day of exercise). So 3 days of excellent attention. Really paying attention to my schedule, too. Sleeping better, shed a couple bloating pounds. What you eat, though, - I believe that has the most bearing on how you will feel the next few days! I was exercising and getting my water BUT with eating in trouble, my sleeping went too and I was uncomfortable in my clothes, etc. etc.

Next time we are with others for meals, I will plan my meals in advance and if it takes my work, I'll work on those meals in advance as much as necessary. Those around me want me to feel well. They will understand if I eat something different from their meals.

2 hours per week exercise goal
wk of June 7
Monday - 30 mins (first 15 and last 15 of total workout)
Wednesday - 30 mins of total workout
Friday - 30 mins (first 15 and last 15 of total workout)
weekend weeding and walking

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:15 am

I am still not really into a regular walking program. This week, I walked -- I think -- Tuesday... and then Wednesday, dh asked me to run a bunch of errands & I didn't want to get all sweaty afterwards, so -- no exercise. Of course, yesterday & today, although I may not have WALKED purposely on a measured route... my goodness, I surely sweated off SOMETHING. :roll: Packing boxes... carrying boxes to car... carrying boxes into house... carrying clothing to car... carrying clothing to house... carrying clothing to goodwill... sweat sweat sweat... Surely it did me some good.

I ate nothing until 4:30 pm except a banana & a package of peanut butter crackers.
Of course, after 4:30 pm... I must say I rewarded myself somewhat excessively. :oops: It started with cheese sticks (yes fried -- are there any other kind?) and chicken fingers... and ended w/a Milky Way bar... and started again a little while ago w/another package of pb crackers.
DH & I both feel somewhat dehydrated by the day's activities, and I have drunk a lot of water, too.

This summer may NEVER take on a "normal" routine... but that's life, isn't it? Normal is just a setting on the dryer...
Tomorrow is another day.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:13 am

Trying to get back in to shape so I can get back to my life this summer.
Walked to the store & library apx. 2.5 mi. round trip
pushing stroller and dgson rode his bike
make it okay w/out any troubles except dgson skinned his elbow
playing on the bike jumps while I was at the library.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:39 pm

I am a good member of the Falling off the Health Wagon club too. Stress and over-busyness collided and I just let everything go. Was up 3 pounds and AR was bad again.

So I got all that in control again and lost the 3 pounds.

Needless to say, I've not been exercising much, and any activity is sporadic, like when DH needed the truckload of tiles unloaded (and I never reported this - a week later I took 3/4 of them all back and unloaded them onto cart back at store as they turned out not to be a good product for all his areas); or every week or so when I must go mow that lawn.

Sitting at my quilt rack day and night is not good exercise. Maybe my fingers got skinny?!

So I am needing to find the mojo to start again. It's funny, but after a couple months at this weight I've gotten used to my new shape, no longer feel skinny, and I can see the problem areas much more clearly than when I first lost the lbs. I guess I am ready to try anew.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:19 am

Did a walk today
bs was a bit high but did not want to have it be too low as
we were in the woods an hour from town so
I mowed after dinner and it was a bit on the low side so had a cookie
waiting for that to kick in before I take my night meds.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:43 am

lucylee and Harmony, it IS real exercise when we do the specific tough chores that are needed. Nancy is often mentioning yard work, etc that is counted for exercise and it's true. I pulled weeds and walked a lot over the weekend and just "felt" exercised to the point I knew that it had already brought me up to my exercise goal, whether I was thinking about it at the time or not.

So don't think of those times as poor substitutes for exercise - they are tough and we deserve to count them. Hard work is probably not as beneficial as well-thought out workouts, that's true. We might work our backs pullling weeds or tossing heavy boxes, but hardly give our legs a workout at all. That's not the best, BUT it gets us moving.

I have bloodwork today. Hasn't been easy to work this into the schedule but I'm getting it done. So I give myself a pat on the back for a Proactive Health Measure.

2 hours per week exercise goal
wk of June 14
Monday - 30 mins of total workout
Tuesday - 15 mins basic workout
Wednesday - 30 mins (1st and last 15s of total workout)

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:36 pm

Maybe if I log in, it will help me see some progress.

Week of June 14
Wed. -- 45 minutes walking outdoors
Tomorrow is another day.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:29 pm

Today's exercised includes doing floors upstairs
sweeping mopping and vacuuming.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:21 pm

I need to say legs can really get a workout gardening. I used to be able to do full flat footted squats and standing w/o using my hands. I want to get that back. Trying to keep flat back, bend from the hips.
I have been stiff from gentle yoga - or maybe its from holding what I call a standing squat. Its been great for abd/PF strength.
Practising imagery - enthusiactic dance and greater strength - hoping that my body will follow my thoughts. I have found my voice for singing, often a montague of made up and remembered. It has to help my spirit.

broke diet yesterday. A normal healthfood shop treat seemed to have added flavour and sweetness *grrr* then I bought grilled fish (allowed) and potato chips (potato not good for me) time to take me in hand and eat what is good for me.

re weight I normally can vary a 2K/4.4lb up and down within a certain range and consider that normal for me. ATM I'm on the up side. I need build muscle rather than lose weight. Not wanting to go below the recent lower limit.

Continuing walking despite foot and knee probs.
Gentle yoga as my body tells me its ok to do w/o pushing joints.
Started using Wild Yam cream over a wk ago. I think it is helping my skin healing ability.
drinking at least 2L water has helped the dizzy/unballanced thing in morning
Do simple stretches on rising
restart journalling day 2.
sing
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:25 am

I have to add - On knees weeding is a real bun workout for me. I did 1/2 on haunches, 1/2 kneeling.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Return to “Healthy Habits”