Health and Fitness, July, 2010

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Health and Fitness, July, 2010

Postby Harriet » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:20 pm

Please notice, there's a new "Diabetes Discussion" thread now posted below this one.

If you would perfect your body, guard your mind. - James Allen in "As a Man Thinketh"

If we are to be well and happy, not only the body, but the mind also must be peaceful and harmonious. - Ernest Holmes in "The Science of the Mind"

You must learn to be still in the midst of activity and to be vibrantly alive in repose. - Indira Gandhi

Our brilliant bodies aren't aware of how the calendar can inspire us, but our MINDS know this moment - it's that special date of the half-point of the year of 2010. Our minds have the chance now to become still in the midst of activity, and to consider "where we are".

Time to give ourselves pats on the back for healthful eating, increased activity, getting back to postponed check-ups, meeting goals.

Time to revisit specific resolutions we made at 2009's end, or other dates.

Time to share here goals to meet by or during 2011, and plans for consistency over the NEXT 6 months.

Time to plan record-keeping of the things we find important to our physical well-being.

A vital mind-body connection to reconsider is our habits. Many of the things we do right now as daily routine may be because our bodies get started on it while our minds aren't even engaged, so lets notice them and make sure they pass muster. If there is a habit, make sure it is a POSITIVE one or transform it! Just one more profound quote... ...

I have to exercise in the morning before my brain figures out what I'm doing. - Marsha Doble

:D

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Health and Fitness, July, 2010

Postby Nancy » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:02 am

Love that quote Harriet!

Yesterday I got the mowing done and I pruned the roses by both
of the back gates and clipped back some low hanging apple branches
dgkids helped pick them up.
Then we watched them play in the back yard! That was fun!

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:30 pm

Week of June 28
Mon -- 48 minutes -- walking outdoors
Tues -- 90 minutes -- vacuuming
Wed -- 60 minutes -- walking outdoors
Thurs -- 60 minutes -- walking outdoors
Tomorrow is another day.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:58 pm

For the above 4 quotes I should give credit to two books I’m alternately reading – Fit for Life a New Beginning by Harvey Diamond and The Menopause Thyroid Solution by Mary Shoman. (the ones mentioning the writer’s works are from Diamond)

Another book I’m reading over again and thoroughly recommend is Put Hemorrhoids and Constipation Behind You by Kenneth Yasny, Ph. D. I have loved this funny, smart little book for years and it really helped me deal with my PMS-related constipation, and learn what I should eat, etc. As Harmony has told me before, “keeping things moving” has a good influence on the upper GI tract, too, and can only be good for acid reflux symptoms. If you or a family member ever need to understand your digestion from a really clear, un-embarrassed, pleasant doctor who knows what he’s talking about, see if this book is in your library system or spend the $12 on it at Amazon. It’s a great resource book for “where does it hurt” moments, the stomach and beyond.

People who know I “don’t read” would be shocked to see these 3 open on my desk. I guess I don’t read what other people read, no. LOL!

Diamond’s book (not new) was a purchase just because I miss his co-written former books, but he does have a lot of good stuff in here. One broad concept is that he wants society to realize the different cancers are mostly different only because of location in the body, but otherwise the same disease, and so the right preventive ideas could be a benefit to all. He cites many studies that support his theory that toxins are the culprit in cancers, and that animal products are the most likely source of toxins entering our bodies. So he thinks we need to cut back to animal products only once a day (excepting butter) and not for breakfast. He thinks we should all consider periodic monodieting (only fresh fruits and vegetables and their juices for 1 to several days) to give our bodies a chance to catch up on toxin housecleaning.

Btw, in case Smile Lee glances here, Marilyn’s cookbook I have is called “ A New Way of Eating from the Fit for Life Kitchen”.

Shoman’s new book (her 8th) was recommended by Teresa Tapp, whose exercise program takes up 30 pages in it. It has been a little depressing to read because I’m learning that some things I thought were okay over the years have been a bad idea and I can’t just undo them now. For instance, too much soy (unless it is fermented into yogurt, etc.) can hurt a women’s hormonal health more seriously than I knew. It’s complicated, but I see it’s worrisome enough that I’m quitting the soy milk.

I had started taking Evening Primrose capsules, frankly, because Shoman says it is so good for menopause-age women’s hair. I think it was mentioned here not that long ago. Anyway, for some reason I stopped taking Fish Oil capsules when I began this. I guess I thought they were similar. (not so – Fish Oil is Omega 3 fatty acids and EPO is Omega 6, but a good one) Anyway, I noticed I went back into morning backaches and was trying to figure that out. It may not be the whole reason (hormonal/PMS stuff is always a possibility), but I think the Fish Oil was good for my back. Whether right or wrong, I started back on the Fish Oil capsules and this morning as I walked through the bedroom, I noticed I’m again free of morning back stiffness/ache.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:13 pm

Okay, that was a long-winded post about reading but I'm finished now! Just have been thinking that some of this might be interesting to others.

Nancy, you are staying so active! (Plus I'll bet your yard looks good.)

lucylee, what a week you are having with all the walking every day - your stamina is increasing!

2 hours per week exercise goal
wk of June 28
Tues - 30 mins of total workout
Thurs - 30 mins of total workout (1st 15 and last 15)
Fri - 15 min basic workout
Sat - 30 mins of total workout
Sun - 15 mins of various T-Tapp exercises

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:47 am

Yesterday I walked at the park pushing dgd;
and rode bike 1/2 mi. w/ dgdson for exercise.

Fri. walked w/ dgd at the park.
Sat. walked the hill and rode dgds bike at least a mile.
Sun. rode dgds bike 6 mi. yea working towards my goal of riding to the next town
while hubby fishes!
Mon. walking & house work were my exercise.
Last edited by Nancy on Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:30 pm

Week of July 5
Monday -- 45? minutes walking outdoors (2 miles +?)
Tuesday -- 45 minutes (very light) yardwork
Wednesday -- 30 minutes walking outdoors (2 miles)
Saturday -- 30 minutes walking outdoors (2 miles)

DH reports I am "trimming up" but I cannot see it, no noticeable change in clothing, and scales do not reflect it at all! In fact, scales have been going up and up and away ever since school dismissed a month ago. I appreciate dh's compliment, but I wish I could see more "objective" results.
Last edited by lucylee on Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Tomorrow is another day.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:50 am

Nancy, I can't get over you (and Harmony and Kathryn) just hopping on bicycles and heading off on adventures. You are really building stamina to go 6 miles. Do remember to do a double-check on everything you need each time you leave - we want you to be happy out there!

Well, lucylee, we are 3-dimensional people so change can fool the scale and even a tape measure. Plus we might have a stronger "look", that even jeans couldn't detect, having to do with posture and movement. If dh sees something, I'd say he probably knows what he's talking about.

I've learned over years of squinting at myself and my record-keeping that 150 pounds while regularly exercising looks better on me than 145 pounds when I haven't exercised in a long time. My goal (oh, gee, I didn't say this before and it's the half-year point :oops: )

My GOAL for the end of the second half of the year is to be "circling 140" pounds WHILE exercising regularly and see what that looks like!! :D

Let's see - another Calendar Event Goal has popped up for 5 1/2 weeks from now at a wing-ding for first-in-law family. Goal is to keep up 2 hours a week exercise until then, be at 145, and be able to wear a particular outfit so I will look appropriate.

2 hours per week exercise goal
wk of July 5
Mon - 30 mins of total workout (1st 15 and last 15)
Tues - 30 mins of total workout
Thurs - 30 mins of total workout (1st 15 and last 15)

I also have been doing 5 mins of hoe-downs every evening after supper

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:38 am

Thank you, Harriet, for the words of reassurance & wisdom. Yes... three-dimensional people. You are right! :D
DH is right! :D I shall BELIEVE his compliment and use that to spur me on toward my goal.

My goal... .... ... ?

Hmmm...

My goal for the remainder of 2010 will be to simply continue with the exercise, at a minimum of 2 hours per week. 2 hours per week apparently is doable for me during the summer. I shall make that such a habit that I am COMPELLED to keep it up when school starts back.

BTW -- scales were down almost two pounds today. 156.5. * BIG SIGH * Not where I want to be, but certainly better than going UP two pounds, right? I just wish I could "circle" 150 again.
Tomorrow is another day.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:40 am

Re; bike riding
I had an apricot last time before I left.
Have hard candy in my pocket.
I was talking to hubby about getting a fanny pack for my emergency stuff
bg meter, test strips, snack, water, phone, granola bar etc.
Dson rides all the time for miles in rugged terrain in the wilderness!
We have a bike path by the road and river here that a lot of people use.
I've been working up to this started riding around the block, then 1/2 mi. loop
with grands & h. and then longer 1-2 mi. at a stretch. Then went 3 mi. one way and
just turned around and went back to where h. was fishing.

Next time he goes I told him where I want to ride and he could drop me off or ride with.
It's great to have a rig at each end of the trail and you only have to do one way!

I maybe be a bit trimmer but wt. is still around 155 but I"m healthy so that is something!

Return to “Healthy Habits”