Health and Fitness, August 2010

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Re: Health and Fitness, August 2010

Postby Harriet » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:24 pm

By Mayo Clinic staff

The A1C test is a common blood test used to diagnose type 1 and type 2 diabetes and then to gauge how well you're managing your diabetes. The A1C test goes by many other names, including glycated hemoglobin, glycosylated hemoglobin, hemoglobin A1C and HbA1c.

The A1C test result reflects your average blood sugar level for the past two to three months. Specifically, the A1C test measures what percentage of your hemoglobin — a protein in red blood cells that carries oxygen — is coated with sugar (glycated). The higher your A1C level, the poorer your blood sugar control. And if you have previously diagnosed diabetes, the higher the A1C level, the higher your risk of diabetes complications.

Lynlee, that was a good question because I didn't know all of this myself. Could be that the abbreviation is used in US and not elsewhere, for instance. It is my understanding that the better one's diet (as regards blood sugar) during the previous few months, the lower the test number will be, and the most recent days will "count" more in the result than the longer-ago ones.

Here is a good article about what level we should shoot for, what is "normal" anyway, who is trying for unreachable goals, that sort of thing. Interesting conclusions reached after intense research.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:13 pm

A1C will also leave markers of highs and lows some how they are able to figure the average
blood sugar to get the number you are at for the time frame.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:12 am

thats`interesting`Harriet`and`Nancy.
I'm`glad`I`asked`the`question.
Pdoc`said`different`people`can`have`different`"low"`scores.
`Wondering`if`some`variation`has`to`do`with`that`variation.

Under`the`odd`thing`category
I`have`in`the`past`been`really`anemic...but`it`depended`which`test`they`looked`at.
One`would`be`ok`at`same`time`as`another`said`not`ok.
In`our`family`theres`heamochromitosis.(sp)(too`much`iron)`I`have`the`mixed`genes..
so`getting`it`is`possible.Just`wondering`if`all`of`this`ties`together`somehow.
(too`much`iron`damages`organs`and`joints-`needs`"blood`letting-like`a`blood`donation`only`it`goes`in`the`bin.)

today`I'm`trying`to`go`with`what(food)`I`know`suits`me...and`add`the`principles`of
Airola`to`that.`I`felt`so`ill/headache/muscles`tense/tingling`lips`from`eating`the`food
he`suggests. :roll: Remembering`that`even`a`manderin`some`days`causes`headaches.
I`tried`the`brewers`yeast`on`cereal...I`felt`ill`with`that...but`yesterday`had`it`with
grapefruit`which`tasted`ok...`except`for`the`tingling`lips.(`a`salicylate`reaction`I`think.)
I`didn't`go`with`an`hour`gardening`first`thing...but`have`done`some`later`on.
I've`taken`an`antihistemine.Hoping`that`helps.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:16 pm

Back from my walk today.
I'm walking later in the day and it works well for me around ten a.m. now.
Had to put a sweater on dgd cause she had summer wear on.
It's raining out now gkids helped with a project digging out rocks
they played with them making a baracad by the fort play house before we hauled
the rocks off. My bs has been low today most of the day I've been more active today.
House work too this after noon going up and down the stairs doing laundry etc.
Made deviled eggs only did a half doz. this time they vanished quickly!
I wanted some this week 'cause it's my birthday week.
H. did some fishing and got back before the rains started.
:idea:
Got the camper ready for us to sleep in here in the drive way!
Last edited by Nancy on Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:30 pm

Nancy, great job on walking. Your weather has done such a swing from hot to cool - hope that isn't getting in the way of your walking. When we have a fast temp swing here I don't feel well.

Lynlee, I guess that's the best reason to keep records. When there's a reaction we question (like headache), we can look back and get an answer.

Indiana, I meant to tell you that HRH was intrigued by the idea that he could break out the materials again and check morning blood sugar during this time. I don't know if he'll do it but might.

Harmony, when I read your mention of age I did my usual double-take.
She does NOT look or act her age, guys!!! :)

OKay, I am doing a little cheerleader kick for you. *\o/* That is a lot to lose in one month, even when you had a bit of a push from some nausea/sickness - be sure you don't feel deprived. If you do, take a holiday and have some higher calorie meals. Happy for you.

The happiest exercise news lately from our house is that dd30 and I got all our T-Tapp DVDs organized while she was here and she went home with the one she'd lent me during her pregnancy, so she has a few different ones for variety. She plans to get started back soon, and dsil will do hoe-downs with her. Knowing that she is tapping will probably make me more consistent, too. She is so young, she has an excellent chance of getting her figure back soon. I just hope she can find the time.

Return to “Healthy Habits”