Health and Fitness, August 2010

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Health and Fitness, August 2010

Postby Harriet » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:50 pm

Welcome!

This is a thread about gaining and maintaining strength for our wonderful calling, Homemaking. As we care for our own health, we grow more capable and competent to care for our families, our neighbors and our communities. As we become more effective, our hopes for ourselves and those we care about get the best chance!

Was pondering strength lately - the kinds we need and how we gain it. Also the frustration of roadblocks that make us detour to maintain it! Got a little carried away with wisdom others expressed. :oops:

Which thought speaks to you?

"Always remember, there is more strength in you than you ever realized or even imagined. Certainly nothing can keep you down if you are determined to get on top of things and stay there."--
Norman Vincent Peale

" I believe that anyone can conquer fear by doing the things he fears to do, provided he keeps doing them until he gets a record of successful experiences behind him."
-- Eleanor Roosevelt

" It does not take much strength to do things, but it requires great strength to decide on what to do."
-- Elbert Hubbard

"Our real problem, then, is not our strength today;
it is rather the vital necessity of action today to ensure our strength tomorrow. "--
Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Each of us should do something every day
That we do not want to do
But we know we should do,
To strengthen our backbone
And put iron in our soul."--
Henry Hitt Crane

Lynlee

Re: Health and Fitness, August 2010

Postby Lynlee » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:56 am

today`I've`been`tracking`food`and`blood`sugar`levels....Its`interesting.
So`is`noticing`signs`and`symptoms`linking`it`all`together.
I'll`show`my`pdoc`this`week.`See`if`he`has`any`ideas.
I'm`not`going`to`do`this`level`of`testing`often/again`in`the`short`term...
Maybe`to`try`out`new`meals.
`See`if`there`are`some`better`ways`of`doing`things.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:04 am

Harriet I believe in Norman Vincent Peale's quote.

It is amazing the strength within us to do anything that needs to be done.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:30 am

Love the focus here this month!
I've been thinking that I need to get back in to my STRENGTH training!
My walk it done except for the part of 1/2 mi. loop I "saved" that to do w/ dgd
when she gets here.

Been able to get my daily walks in this week yea!
Last edited by Nancy on Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:36 am

Lynlee, I'm glad you are learning things from your record-keeping. We still learn a lot when we just make notes on a few days or a few meals, etc. It doesn't have to be some big deal over a long period.

I am trying to get in touch with our dentists (regular for me and children's for dd) so that we can have our cleanings over with by school start. So far, not getting calls back. Hmmm ... ... HRH is always current with his so I don't have to think about him.

The quote above from Eleanor Roosevelt was interesting to me. I've thought this about sidetracked and perfectionist people before - that we benefit from having successful experiences that we then know we can repeat. I think that is one root of our optimism. Definitely applies to physical or emotional strength, I think. If I've been able to exercise at a certain level in the past or if I've been able to make my way through tragedy in the past, then I recognize in myself the strength to manage these things again.

The Crane quote also made me think of the decluttering thread! :)

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:12 pm

I like all of the quotes.

Tonight we got on our bikes and rode for 25 minutes. Slow in this heat, but we did it. Need to get back into that habit. Why is it so easy to get out of a good habit but so hard to get back into it?

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:38 pm

I am so happy for Harmony and the Mr. riding almost a half-hour, and OKay losing 3.5 pounds so far this month.

Around here the activity portion of life is a little depressing. There's nothing like a dr telling you you are unable to do something to make you think you miss it terribly :) :( . Every morning I do 5 minutes of floor exercises and HRH has made it very clear he doesn't even think I am supposed to do that much - one morning we were a little miffed with each other about it. :oops: But I get to see the dr tomorrow and plead my case again, and hopefully the xray will back me up.

Also tomorrow I get to go for my dental cleaning (is that a "yay"? LOL Maybe not so much!). But I'm happy there is a proactive health measure I'll have out of the way.

The Calendar Event Goal I was working toward before my unfortunate sidelining comes up this weekend. I'll be seeing my dfirstils feeling flabby and a few pounds heavier, not lighter as I had planned - probably can't wear the outfit I'd hoped. The best laid plans! And dfirstils are my usual inspiration because they are rather competitive. Ah, well.

I'm enjoying reading the new "What I Ate" thread and I think I may add in a few of my days there. My general food stories are not too compelling, though. My whole "eating vs. size" story can be summed up by, "If I eat much dessert or rolls I blow up like a balloon. The End." :) Very simple. Well, there is also the backstory of, "And I need 5 veggies/fruits a day or I get constipated.", but that one's not exactly fascinating reading either! ;)

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:57 pm

My activity is increasing this month. I can't believe I can do more walking. It is slow and with a noticable limp in my gait but it is good.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:44 pm

I keep forgetting to post my exercise in this thread, since I've been doing the "what I ate" thing in the other thread.
DH and I walked today. I did 2 miles. I think it was only my 4th day this month, so I've been kinda missing a lot b/c of the heat, mainly.
Tomorrow is another day.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:41 pm

Catch-up exercise log for August.
Week of August 1
Weight -- 159.5
Monday -- walked 1 mile (approx. 15-20 minutes)
Tuesday -- walked 2 miles (approx. 30 minutes)
Thursday -- "walk away the pounds" 15 minutes
Week of August 8
Weight -- 158 (but today it's down to 157!)
Tuesday -- walked 2 miles (approx. 30 minutes)
Wednesday -- walked 2 miles (approx. 30 minutes)
Thursday -- walked 2 miles (approx. 30 minutes)
:idea: There is a reason weathermen give out a heat advisory. Oh my... between Aunt Flo's arrival, and the upset stomach that accompanied that, and the heat... well... I got into the shower a little too soon after coming indoors. Didn't allow myself time to cool off. Got too hot in the shower and just lay down in the bottom of the bathtub till I could find the strength to get out. I thought I was going to faint for a little while there. No more walking w/Aunt Flo during the heat of the day!!!
Last edited by lucylee on Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tomorrow is another day.

Return to “Healthy Habits”