Health and Fitness, August 2010

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Re: Health and Fitness, August 2010

Postby Harriet » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:18 pm

I'm thinking of Donkey telling Shrek, "You know what ELSE everybody likes? Parfaits."

What about fun Jello desserts? Making ahead some really pretty refrigerated items with either regular Jello or the lite kind, if you thought that was a better idea. Drop some fruit in there if it doesn't bother you (would bother me after a meal, for instance, but not on an empty tummy, so I'd have to time it). Truthfully, whipped toppings are not very healthy for you, but a little might make a parfait recipe go from good to great and really satisfy with eye-appeal. Something to look forward to. Relatively cheap, actually.

And of course you know about me that I am a pudding person (cook and serve Jello for me, but again, lite ones are out there). And for last minute rescue... ...Fudgcicle.

On a veggie note, there are recipes for mashed cauliflower that mimic creamy mashed potato and fool people.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:51 pm

I love puddings and jellos and especially whipped cream. But all of those are loaded with sugar. (And I like the cook-em-up ones instead of the new instant ones). I suppose a little bit of something like this would be better than other stuff.

What could you make a parfait out of? Does anyone have any recipes for ways to make things using cottage cheese, besides just adding fruit? I did a ton of cottage cheese because it has that creamy feel in my mouth and satisfied, but I did so much of it I can't look at it right now. Would it work in a smoothy?

I don't have enough ideas to alternate things so that I don't get tired of the few things I've figured out.

The other thing I like is cheese. Mild cheeses. And eggs. Today I had a couple hard boiled eggs. Has anyone tried the cauliflower mashed up? I've always wanted to try that. I need a larger selection of stuff to try out.

Sorry, should I be putting all this in th food thread?

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:03 pm

Harmony I hit the jackpot!!!

Taste of Home has wonderful recipes for diabetics but really for anyone that don't use artifficial sweetners.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Heal ... c-Desserts

Some of them sound like you are adding a lot of sugar but when you divide the servings it isn't bad. Each recipe not only has the calories but the exchanges. I linked the desserts. You can back up to other recipes with exchanges.

I forgot about Taste of Home. I am slowly working my way through the recipes there.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:41 am

http://hubpages.com/hub/Food-Sensitivit ... tolerances
this`is`written`by`someone`from`my`food`sensitivity`site.
She`was`a`chemist`in`previous`times....
Might`give`"food`for`thought"`to`some...

Harmony
I`invent`lots`of`recipies...Leave`out`the`sugar...
Maybe`put`something`allowed`in`for`sweetness.
Mostly`Iook`at`the`texture`pre`cooking...
make`it`close`to`a`normal`cake/pudding/batter`consistancy.
I`like`to`make`just`enough`to`eat...
Used`to`nuke`a`desert`for`one...
ATM`flatbread`is`a`texture`I'm`investigating..Loving
I`can`make`them`all`sort`of`flavors`with`dried`fruit/nuts/tsp`100%`fruit`jam..

I`find`sugar`is`an`aquired`taste,as`is`losing`the`taste`for`it.
One`exception...then`I`chasing`it`making`excuses...
and`it`does`affect`my`stinking`thinking`like`I've`encountered`last`couple`of`weeks.
I`need`to`get`back`to`the`straight`and`narrow`and`see`if``I`get/stay`back...OK

Agar`is`great`to`make`up`jelly,deserts...Not`sweet`nor`bitter.
Its`in`health`food`shops`here.
Ummmreadingpacket
(serving`size=5g)(1tsp)
per`serve
energy=64kj
protein=0.31g
fat=0.02g
carbs=4.05g
Sodium=5.1g

I've`found`looking`at`totally`different`food`has`opened`up`other`nutritous`possibilities.
Helps`release`the`hard`done`by`feeling...of`missing`out.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:24 am

only lost 1/2 a pound this week as I really did not eat fruit and veggies for snacks. I have been munching on cheese instead mmm - now 23 lbs down but what a fight 8-)
I played tennis (even at my weight) with dd15, the other day played basketball at my speed with dd15 thinking I deserve to have fun no matter what size I am
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:46 pm

Thank you Indiana. I looked at those recipes quickly and bookmarked the page. One thing I do is try to do everything perfectly, eliminate all sugars, etc., and perhaps that just isn't possible. I need to find a better balance.

As I was wandering around the produce section today I sorta got irritated at myself. The constant Wah Wah Wah I don't like crunchy this 'n that in my head is getting old. I just need to buck up a bit and eat those things that I don't absolutely love. And once in a while just splurge on something not good for me that I really love.

If I can just get the portion control right on those not so good things, that'd work.

I'm going to read over all those recipes from taste of home.

Today I got some stuff I like. I got some tomato juice (I can do that early in the day and not affect my AR), and some yogurt, some fresh tomatoes, another watermellon. We'll see.
Last edited by Harmony on Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:56 pm

Harmony sugar in moderation as far as I'm concerned is fine. I have probelsm with "diets" that say to eliminate starches or fats or sugar.

I'm glad you found somethings. I understand about bucking up and just doing it on trying new things. I'm back to that learning process again after not eating for so many months. Now in the back of my mind I still think will my bp drop too low if I eat?

"Don't count peas"

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:03 pm

Indiana, it must be wonderful to have a dr. to work with you about all this. I've only had one dr. who said anything, and he said just cut out the carbs. Big help.

The nurse practicioner at gyno. and I talked a little, I told her I'd been trying and lost 16 lbs during the past year...thinking she'd say that was very good... and she said well that's better than gaining :roll: I should have known better, she was a skinny gal.

Yeah, don't count the peas. Remember when I used to measure my bananas?

Lynlee, I should experiment more. I remember that you can add applesause instead of sugar some places.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:10 am

Harmony, are you sure that lady heard you correctly? :shock: That is not a normal response! :lol: I mean, just pick anybody and mention you lost 16 pounds and they would be so happy for you. BTW,the Jello site has a whole section of "Healthy Living" recipes with photos.

blessed, I know it must be so much fun to spend time with dd15, too! Great activities.

HRH is embarking on Nutri System D tomorrow morning for 4 weeks to see what he thinks. This is something he's been thinking about for a while, to improve his A1C blood sugar levels further and lose some weight. It's a bday present from me (he chose the meals), planned to end with a non-Nutri System fun-favorites meal on his bday 4 weeks from now. The big box arrived today with 2 shallow inner boxes of food, and he set them up sideways on the kitchen counter to view easily like shelves. They are not too space-intensive. We went out this evening to buy produce, whole grain buns/rolls, low-fat cheese, low-sodium tomato juice, and graham crackers after reading their grocery list suggestions.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:29 am

some`thoughts...
In`olden`times`your`diet`was`whatever`food/drink`you`put`in`your`mouth.

Then`more`recently`the`term`was`used`as`a`restrictive`thing...
as`something`to`be`waved`about`as`a`means`to`some`end...
of`an`imposition.
The`phrase`"to`diet"`took`off`replacing`the`concept`of`ones`diet`being`what`you`ate.
So`did`all`sorts`if`fad`diets...
From`atkins,`pritican,`low`or`no`carbs;`Diets`with`place`names`like`Hollywood;etc;etc.
The`latest`one`I`heard`of`is`the`Paleo`Diet`...http://www.thepaleodiet.com/faqs/
the`diet`of`humans`evolving`over`eons...`And`I`know`people`who`strongly`recommed`it.

The`grandma`diet`was`recommended`by`some`for`ADD...
Exclude`anything`that`didn't`exist`when`your`grandma`was`around.
...`That`takes`care`of`the`artificials`,chemicals,`and`excess.
Remember`when`a`small`chicken`on`a`special`occasion`fed`a`family
`of`6`more`than`one`meal?`
Mind`you`in`our`house`potato`was`often`the`only`veg..and`no`fruit`except`a`scrap`of`jam.
Though`special`occasions`would`see`some`extras...Like`tomato`sauce..and`fruit`and`veg.
Nothing`to`recommend`that`old`diet.

The`"what`I`eat"`is`based`mostly`on`trial`and`error
feeling`ill,`or`healthier.
Some`changes`were`given`to`me`docs,`dietians,`allegy`tests`
to`say`nothing`to`reacting`against`pain`and`stench.

I`do`not`say`eat`what`I`eat.
Just`look`around`at`all`the`food`on`offer`and`see`what`works`and`suits`you.

I`have`only`read`of`one`other`person`who`had`a`similar`reaction`to`sugar`as`me.
This`guy.`www.johnbradshaw.com/ and`he`had`no`explanation`for`it`either
http://www.johnbradshaw.com/

HarmonyAny`fruit`puree...substituting`juice`for`fluids...,Just`adding`less`sugar.
There`is`even`some`supposedly`Low`GI`Sugar`made`from`whole`cane...not`just`the`juice
out`there...I`bought`some`but`haven't`tried`it`for`fear`of`losing`control...
I`used`use`Barley`Malt...(In`my`pre`gluten-free`days.)...in`cooking
Or`carob`is`naturally`sweeter`that`cocoa...
You`have`to`forget`the`chocolate`taste`expectation`though`
grated`fruit`or`veg`add`different`flavour..`There`are`lots`of`recipes`out`there
if`you`prefer`to`follow`one.
In`1985`my`girls`and`I`had`allegy`testing`done..
I`frequently`was`cooking`3`different`desserts
And`became`quite`adventurous`in`the`art`of`substitution.

Anyway...Apologies`Indiana`and`anyone`else`annoyed`that`I`post`here`of`my`difficulties`
with`what`seems`like`regular`fare`to`others.`That`My`needs`have`a`different`bent.
I`would`have`thought`your`own`"lifestyle`food`choices"
would`have`seemed`easier`in`comparison.

grr..reminds`me`of`when`I`took`fellow`(coeliac)`patient`to`supermarket`
to`show`her`what`was`gluten`free`and`where`to`find`it..
And`staff`thought`I'd`somehow`convert`her`to`my`list`of`Nos...
as`in`prev`times`we`would`have`both`qualified`for`ED`unit.
And`I`was`annoyed`that`no`one`had`ever`taken`the`time`to`explain`to`her
what`her`"GFdiet"`was.
Seemed`like`intollerance`of`my`situation,`and`ignorance`of`the`girl's.

Also...What`"Peak-Performance`Living"`showed`me`very`clearly`
was`that`one`size/style`feeding`regiem`does`not`fit`all.
If`trying`what`works`for`some`others`doesn't`work`for`you
it`could`be`there`are`some`suggestions`there`that`may`help.

I`am`looking`at`so`called`support`systems`atm...
I`may`need`make`some`changes`in`that`regard.
I`could`easily`come`unstuck`so`need`focus`on`what`I`need`to`do.
Like`others`have`stated`in`their`case`...My`living`depends`on`eating`right`for`me.

Harriet`Best`wishes`to`HRH`trialing`the`new`System.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Return to “Healthy Habits”