Health and Fitness, August 2010

Share healthy living habits.
Harmony

Re: Health and Fitness, August 2010

Postby Harmony » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:09 pm

In the interest of being totally honest :oops: I am probably getting enough calories but not from the right things. DH insists on having open candy dishes here, also a canister of cookies. He only takes a very little now and then. But I am here all the time and these things call to me. And I pick.

Indiana, I read about the way you do things, and I know I could never do what you do. I have tried and I constantly continue to try. I guess I don't have enough will power.

I'm thinking about what I did have today, and you may be right it's not a lot of calories if you take off the gumdrops. I need to get out my papers again and count things up.

I know when I am feeling tired I will sometimes gravitate to the kitchen because "if I eat something it will help me feel better"... and I have been feeling so tired lately. I'm not sleeping well at night and I'm sleepy all day. I was miserable in church, couldn't wait to get out of there.

I guess I need to do some more planning. My last planning session did not result in anything positive.

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:56 am

Harmony it isn't so much willpower as finding something you are comfortable with. Sometimes it takes a while to tweak some things.

I went kicking ans screaming from regular sodas to diet sodas. I thought I would never be able to do it. But if I didn't I wouldn't make it. On the way to the doctor's the day I found out I was a type II diabetic the first thing I did was get a diet soda. A DIET SODA - on no but that now the only soda I will drink.

Just keep working your plan and it will come together. Don't forget how well you have done and how far you have come. You can do this. No make that you ARE doing it.

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:18 am

Harmony I wanted to say too. I know what you mean about the cookies and candy.

My cookie jar I can leave alone. The candy dish I can leave alone unless it has jelly beans. Then I will eat loose count day. So jelly beans go in the cupboard and my allotment for the day goes in a tiny salsa/condiment dish so I can pick at it during the day. I'll do the same with baking chips. Many times I have something still in the cup when I go to bed.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:18 am

I too understand about kicking and screaming to diet coke, and for me sugar free ice tea (I like the flavored one)
great job on sticking to diet soda dindiana
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:45 am

Back from my walk today.
I walked in the field a nice change
after I got the apple chores done.
Saw a doe and her two fawns today.
Last edited by Nancy on Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:47 am

blessed I had no choice - not a good thing for a diabetic. (At least one at the time.)

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:53 pm

Week of August 1
Weight -- 159.5

Monday -- walked 1 mile (approx. 15-20 minutes)
Tuesday -- walked 2 miles (approx. 30 minutes)
Thursday -- "walk away the pounds" 15 minutes
Week of August 8
Weight -- 158 (but today it's down to 157!)
Tuesday -- walked 2 miles (approx. 30 minutes)
Wednesday -- walked 2 miles (approx. 30 minutes)
Thursday -- walked 2 miles (approx. 30 minutes)
Week of August 15
Weight -- 156
(I know it's bound to be mostly water weight, b/c I've had this stomach bug for the last 4 days, BUT -- it does give me some incentive to work harder to keep it off!)
Monday -- walked 2 miles (approx. 37 minutes?) (That's slow, but I was alone and it IS hot out there. I'm just glad I stuck with it and did the whole 2 miles instead of stopping at 1, like I would have done at the beginning of the summer.)
Tomorrow is another day.

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:10 pm

Way to go lucylee!!!!

Not just for being down 3.5 pounds since August 1 but mantaining the walking. Slow and steady wins the race.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:16 pm

I don't do much soda. If I do any it is a juice glass. And I don't seem to want it unless I am eating something salty. Water just doesn't do it with peanut butter crackers or pretzels.

I don't find many things that "satisfy my yearnings" that are ok to eat. That's one of my problems. My hot buttons are not crunchy things, they are creamy sweet things. Ice cream. Cake. Soft cookies. Even mashed potatoes with butter. Fresh fruit doesn't do it. Fresh veggies don't do it. Soft bread does. So restricting calories is not easy because I'm rarely satisfied.

Ok, now I am thinking, apples don't help but applesause does. Yogurt with soft fruit. Peanut butter is wonderful but it's high calorie. I don't do artificial sweeteners so that leaves out all of the alternates people use.

If ice cream was a diet food I'd be under 100 lbs! I rarely keep that in the house, it's bad for me. Veggie sticks, naaa, but cucumbers aren't bad (see they're relatively soft).

Anybody have any ideas?

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:39 pm

Harmony I'm thinking I think I have some ideas.

Return to “Healthy Habits”