Health and Fitness, August 2010

Share healthy living habits.
Indiana

Re: Health and Fitness, August 2010

Postby Indiana » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:09 am

Lynlee I'm so glad you are posting here. I'm learning alot.

your restrictions don't seem like regular fare just as mine aren't. I have been on both side of eating and can say what worked and works for me.

Keep posting Lynlee and I hope others join in.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:57 am

good luck to dh on nutrisystem..I think not having to think about it really helps.. I had tried seattle sutton and lost weight with it but couldn't afford it after a 1 session. best of luck to him!!!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:34 am

blessed, dd12 was shocked to read the invoice for even this much less expensive alternative :D . But I had her divide by a month's worth of 3 meals a day, 1 dessert a day, and she admitted it wasn't terrible. Even so, when I left the grocery yesterday evening I was secretly beginning to agree with her, since many things in one's daily fare cannot be a part of this type of sent-to-you meals, specifically produce, dairy. Nevertheless, I am hopeful that I've given a wise gift.

Dstepson wanted me to wait for weather in which folks can actually get out (we are still at mid-90s) and be active at the same time his dad started this eating plan, in hopes of even more success. But I wanted the bday to be a happy finishing day with maybe some changes already, not the sort of depressing day that this starts!

Lynlee, I got HRH to read the exerpts from the ppl book, too. I will look for it in our library system, since I'm sure dd will have to head back into library reading too, as soon as school starts.

Both Indiana and Lynlee have wondered lately if their posts have been interesting/helpful and answer in both cases is resounding yes.

Harmony, you are on my mind often, realizing you have stuff to go through emotionally and concern for your (terrific dh) right at the same time you are hoping to live healthily/eat well. Remember we look back and realize we knew so little about paths we earlier traveled - this is true all through our lives - often the worries don't turn out to be as difficult as the possibilities we worried them into! Many hugs.

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:58 am

Harriet yes it is pricey but what a great gift. Locally we have Seattle Sutton and Nutri System I thought was always a good one. If someone doesn't pay beyond one month it gives 30 days of examples of what to eat and just as important how much to eat. It is a great start to eating healthy as long as you follow it for the month. I think your timing was perfect.

I like the diverse eating plans that everyone is on. I hope that others will join us in what i ate that have a different eating plan. We can learn so much from each other. There are many ways of eating.

Harmony I'm still looking for cottage cheese recipes. I found a few and I'll post the links for them all together.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:57 pm

HRH says first day was "tolerable". He says he sees how this will be more do-able as he goes along. We bought the wrong cheese, so he could have none, and that bugged him today because cheese would have been satisfying. There were a couple moments of dismay at the NS items. :D This was to be expected. Yes, we ordered for a man but these are not very "manly" portions and the lack of fat content made evening burger seem strange. (you boil it, and it doesn't hold together) Emptynester, he used your recommendation of those sandwich-thin buns in whole wheat for his bread. He piled lettuce and tomato on it and slathered with mustard, so he was okay!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:41 am

Something from PWYC Thursday to inspire us:

One perk, so to speak, of all that is going on here & being so busy is that my weight is on a downward trend. Lost 6# since July 26th. But I've been trying too. It's a great momentum and helps my mindset change. - DeeClutter

Hurray for good ol' housework.

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:33 pm

Wonderful Dee that you are finding benefits.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:49 pm

Kudos to everyone who is trying to be conscious of what she eats, whether it be for weight loss or just health or allergies. It's not easy, especially in the beginning or when other stresses occur.

My problems are definitely emotion driven. I have a totally different appetite now than I did in the couple weeks leading up to this latest challenge. I could not get satisfied regardless of what or how much I ate. Now I'm not so hungry.

Even eating the most awful food twice in the hospital did not bother me. It took the edge off my appetite and that was enough to satisfy me for hours.

I had edged a total of 5 lbs. up with all this, and as of today 2 lbs of that is gone. I totally believe one's appetite is totally in their brain!

Harriet, what a wonderful gift to give. I would snap up a gift like that gratefully in a milisecond! Indiana, thank you for looking up recipes for me.

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:31 pm

Harmony I thought I saw more cottage cheese recipes but they were all repeats of these:

Cottage Cheese Salad

1 lb cottage cheese
1 pkg D-Zerta dry gelatin
1 small can unsweetened pineapple chunks, drained
Cool Whip

Add Cool Whip to ingredients; toss lightly to mix. Serve on lettuce leaf.

Enjoy your freshly made Diabetic Cottage Cheese Salad!

Fruited Jello And Cottage Cheese

16 oz. low fat cottage cheese
1 package (4-serving size) sugar free orange flavored Jell-O
3/4 C. boiling water
1/2 C. cold water
ice cubes
11 oz. mandarin orange sections, drained

Place cottage cheese in a blender or food processor container; cover. Blend until smooth; set aside. Completely dissolve Jell-O in boiling water. Combine cold water and enough water to make 1-1/4 C.. Add to Jell-O; stir until slightly thickened. Remove ice; stir in oranges. Divide cottage cheese among 8 individual serving dishes. Spoon Jell-O mixture over cottage cheese. Chill until set, about 2 hours.

I know you don't use sugar free products but this sounded so good and I thought with the change of jello and fruit it would be a whole new salad.

i think they could be used as a dessert too.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:10 pm

Today my exercise was berry picking while
hubby was fishing a nice outing!

Return to “Healthy Habits”