Health and Fitness, September, 2010

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Health and Fitness, September, 2010

Postby Harriet » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:57 pm

Welcome! We hope you'll join in here! We're getting fitter all the time. :)

Think your health and fitness would certainly be better if you could go back to younger days? Maybe not! We can’t assume that younger is healthier. We grow smarter as we mature, so managing our physical well-being, including fitness, may actually come more naturally, according to the National Institute of Mental Health. Bright decision-making is on our side, with the skills to research better eating plans, the experience to know what’s been good for us before, the composure to choose well between alternatives, and the wisdom to know what our priorities should be.

For instance, here’s some very positive news about brain health that ought to make us all wonder if it's true we’re really NOT getting older, we’re getting better.
Although our ability to learn and remember gradually declines throughout adulthood, there’s mounting evidence that our skill at making sense of important information and experiences increases. This is what’s known as wisdom, and it’s something that scientists are just beginning to study. Its classic elements include sound judgement, psychological insight, diverse life experience, emotional control, empathetic understanding, and, of course, knowledge.

Wisdom-related knowledge often accumulates steadily through life. Thus, forgetfulness may not be totally due to mental deterioration. Rather, it may be our brains making room for a different type of intelligence.

– Thomas Crook, PhD, Research Program Director, National Institute of Mental Health

Forget where your keys are again? Oh, that’s just your brain naturally making room for some seriously mature smarts. In exchange for a little frustration, you get sound judgement, psychological insight and knowledge.

So if you were planning to use age as an excuse for less enthusiasm while building health and fitness, forget it. A few more birthdays and you may actually be better at it. ;)

Indiana

Re: Health and Fitness, September, 2010

Postby Indiana » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:39 am

Harriet if HRH does test and gets a higher reading than he would like in the morning he can test before dinner also. Sometimes morning readings are high and since he would be taking it once in a while he is looking for a norm.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:14 pm

BIG congratulations to OKay, who lost 8 pounds in August - wow! Someone correct me, but that is at least close to the largest total loss in one month we've ever had reported here. It seems likely that someone (maybe trish for instance) reported more than that once, but I don't remember. I'm so tickled OKay let us in on her successes.

Indiana, thus far HRH is avoiding the blood testing - not sure what his thinking is. He may have decided to hold his breath and wait until the dr's A1C test to find out about change. Or he may have a mental block about getting the testing equipment back out again.

He let me peek at the scale, and let's just say I don't believe there's any doubt that 1) men sure can lose faster than women!, 2) he's been just as faithful to this plan as I thought he had, and 3) as far as the weight loss part, the NS "D" does what it says it will do. I told him I was happier for him than I was proud of him, but am definitely proud of him. Am researching fun birthday cake recipes! Shhh!

I got in the 15-minute Basic workout this morning, about 8:00 a.m. Have gotten in 2 pints of water and kept to the breakfast and brunch I planned.

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:21 pm

Harriet I can understand HRH holding off until the A1C. It will be more of a surprise than if he just takes it on the fly.

I can tell you right now from what you have said that he will be pleasantly surprised.

OKay

Postby OKay » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:29 pm

I LOVE IT!!

Now I'm going to be happy each time i can't find my keys. All that spare brain room will be ready for wisdom to build up in it! :lol:

Thank you for the POTB for August weight loss. I could NOT have done it without the encouragement and help from this villiage.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:57 pm

I did my walk this morning and some :idea: gardening today for exercise! :mrgreen:
I forgot to add that I walked the hill yesterday.
Last edited by Nancy on Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:24 am

I'm counting all the added yardwork as my exercise. I can feel all my muscles being stressed, the ones up and down both sides of my back, my legs, and especially my arms.

I can attest to the challenges age brings to physical fitness. Age and loss of strength and stamina, as well as any injuries or disease that occur along the way hamper ability to work out, or simply be active. I remember those days of playing ball and hopscotch and riding my bike all over the neighborhood, snowball fighting in winter, walking back and forth to school, all those things when I was a young girl and not being so darned exhausted.

Staying fit and trim as one ages ain't for the faint-of-heart!

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:00 am

This site is the best site ever for anyone.

It does everything but stand on its head.

SELF Nutrition Data
http://nutritiondata.self.com/
It has weight loss, diabetes, heart health, analysis of foods, glycemic loads and information.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:02 am

My exercise yesterday was hiking at the farm.
Today it will be gardening roses are planted,
and we are back from the snake patch I mean berry picking
saw a rattler today that really got my heart going! Eeks
Last edited by Nancy on Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:25 pm

Smiling at the way Indiana explained that site. I have always liked SELF mag and didn't know they had such an extensive web presence now. Already sent the Phil Michelson article on to HRH.

Return to “Healthy Habits”