Health and Fitness, September, 2010

Share healthy living habits.
blessedw2

Re: Health and Fitness, September, 2010

Postby blessedw2 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:26 am

lost only 1/2 a lb. this week but I know it was because of pizza and cake/ice cream but back on program. lots of celebration. 8-)

hi harriet hi nancy hi indiana hi harmony hi okay ... Hello dladies!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:48 pm

Harriet and Harmony have you seen this article?

http://www.self.com/fooddiet/blogs/nutr ... .html#more

It is interesting about her take on sleeping positions and acid blocking medications plus other stuff.

It is on the SELF blog. I'm liking this site more and more.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:39 pm

blessed, you have a trend going. Sometimes it's slower but the trend is still there. I think you are doing a great job.

Bingo, or maybe, Amen, Indiana - I totally agree with her article. I cannot get my dr to agree, however, and he will not consider stopping his own Nexxium. Even though he recently told me he's pretty sure that if he gave up coffee he would not need it any more. (Harmony gave hers up or at least cut down, and felt much better.) It's really interesting to me that the writer doesn't mention chocolate as a relaxer of the ES valve, and I also agree there. In my experience, chocolate is not nearly the problem other foods are, either, but people are often cautioned against it.

Both Harmony and I have said although we'd like to lose some weight we can't understand how we didn't have worse AR during times in the past we weighed more. I'm beginning to think you are probably less resistant as you get older, so you have to weigh less to avoid it with passing years. I wonder if one reason I experience AR with gluten is not the effect on AR but that its indigestibility has the tendency to create bloat, therefore having an immediate physical effect on size/clothes.

Clothing - I have the worst problem with bras. All my life, I have literally been a different bra size in the evening than in the morning and the same bra that felt fine when I put it on will bother me by suppertime. My obgyn wanted me to start underwire bras back in '89 because of "breast pain" that she said was very common and benefited from underwire support. It worked, and I do usually use those, but wonder. I have a dickens of a time finding bras that don't bother me (with AR), also with high-waisted slacks. But "low-ride" slacks are not for normally shaped adult women!!! ;) I know sometimes villagers wonder why I wear dresses (with aprons :) ), and probably people IRL wonder sometimes. I will often be one of only a couple woman - of whatever age - at our church wearing a dress anymore, unless it is Easter Sunday! But the comfort level is so nice (and grandchildren hug aprons!).

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:00 pm

I walked the hill today plus my other route after doing some yard work
glad I"m not frail any more yea!

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:44 am

WTG`Nancy.

I`notice`I'm`walking`with`shoulders`back...walking`stronger`too.
I'm`not`back`to`jogging...`Maybe`thats`not`a`bad`thing.
Just`go`at`a`pushing`it`speed`without`overdoing`it.
Poof`to`walk`w`ddog.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:41 am

So happy to hear posture and strength reports!

I did the Basic workout this morning and immediately went outside for those chores, breathing deeply and feeling well.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:52 pm

I love dharriets (and grandchildren hug aprons!).
I have trouble with bras too... the same one that fits in the morning is not good in the afternoon.

dnancy: many blessings! great job on hill and feeling better!
dlynn.. atta girl too!

had one of my favorite outside fast lunches. while dh is eating his mcdonalds filet o fish and fries I had my jimmy johns unwhich and a diet coke. An unwhich is made by taking ingrediants you want on a sandwhich and putting them on lettuce leaves instead of bread. really tasty. I had the turkey. You would never know you weren't eating bread as they roll it like a sandwhich.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:05 pm

Hardee's will do that for you, too. They call it their "Low-Carb" and will do it with any burger/sandwich, I think. It's not messy at all because they wrap the paper neatly and what the extra lettuce doesn't hold the paper does. Today I went to McDonalds for a smoothie and to allow dd12 to eat inside the brand new one with fireplace and tv, some chairs in leather - surprising place. Anyway, asked them about buying a sandwich, hold the bread. And they couldn't understand me at all, said McD's doesn't do that. Ultimately they wanted me to order a "wrap". The customer was definitely NOT right. And I was asking for less, not more. Oh well.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:52 pm

Here is where we are: ("report from them that's doin' ", as Mother Earth News used to say)

HRH has made another order from NS over my objections. I've told him I didn't want this to be a marathon and wanted him to have a break after 4 weeks. But he says he's doing something important, he "doesn't hate it", and he can't do it half-measure. He says he has to commit himself to this without having treats to make him want more treats and get him off course when he thinks it's too soon.

So my idea of a bday favorite-foods celebration Sunday is off. No bday cake. He thinks he will probably ask me to pick up a particular menu item he's thought of, from our favorite Thai restaurant, that is heavy on the veggies, tomorrow night before they close. He wants me to just tell friends there "hello" for him, bring it home to save for one special bday lunch Sunday.

He has brought out the home testing things and will probably do that every once in a while. But it turns out the dr's appt and likely A1C testing weren't scheduled until Friday of the coming week (it's a B-12 shot that was scheduled Mon - oops), and he says he's not going to request it early. He says he's just as happy if it's another week before he hears from that, because he doesn't want the feeling he has a "stopping place" yet. The only cheat I've seen or heard about in almost 4 weeks was 1 small pack of fries and 1 tiny pack of vanilla wafers from a child's lunchables dd12 didn't want. Otherwise, he is right on their plan. I'll be sure and tell you what the scale difference is on bday Sun (4-wk) morning anyway.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:31 pm

WoW`HRH.`It`does`take`time`getting`old`eating`habits`out`of`taste-buds.
Sounds`like`he`is`determined.
Is`he`allowed`buckwheat`flower?`there`are`lots`of`things`you`can`make`with`that.
I`added`BW`and`an`egg`to`leftover`chicken`vege`soup`to`make`flatbread/pancakes.

Here`you`can`get`some`things`minus`the`wrap.
I`sometimes`get`a`HealthyBox`kebab-Minus`the`wrap.`
(its`meat(lamb/beef`or`chicken)`or`kerfafle?`with`salad`and`choice`of`condiment
I`have`homus.`Subway`does`a`salad+`whatever.`
I`once`tried`a`big`mac`without`the`bun`and`it`was`horrid.`Does`Mac'd`do`salad`there?
here`they`put`gluten(`crumbed`chicken`or`bread`bits(forget`their`name)`in`them..
`and`cheese`or`it`would`be`a`great`standby`when`travelling.

I`took`my`food/record`book`back`to`prebed`activities`as`
I`wasn't`doing`it`thru`the`day.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Return to “Healthy Habits”