Health and Fitness, September, 2010

Share healthy living habits.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Healthy Snacks

Postby Nancy » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:09 am

http://www.julianbakery.com/
Some bread that I've been looking into very spendy but carb. counts
are low once you deduct the fiber.
Thought I'd share wondering if it could be made at home!

Indiana

Re: Health and Fitness, September, 2010

Postby Indiana » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:33 am

Yes Nancy from looking at the ingredients:

Fresh Ground Whole Grain *Wheat, Sprouts of *Kamut, *Spelt, *Rye, Lentils, Sesame Seeds, *Millet, *Quinoa, *Amaranth, Ground Flaxseed, *Wheat Bran, Oat Bran, Eggs, Undenatured Whey Protein Isolate (90%), Chicory Root (Inulin Fiber), Wheat Gluten, Yeast & Sea Salt.

If the health food store doesn't have some of the items you could probably order them on line.

When I got the ingredients for the new bread I'm making it was $30.00. I have made it once so this loaf is $30.00 and it will go down the more I make. It will be interesting to see how many loaves the $30.00 makes.

You may want to buy the first loaf before getting the things to make it because of their note:

Note: Diabetics should take readings before and after eating this bread as we have found some diabetics are more sensitive to this bread than others despite our bread having one net carb. We do have thousands of diabetics who eat this bread that have Type I and Type II diabetes.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:41 am

Yes Indiana thanks for that input.
I will get a loaf as soon as they get more in
and see what it does.
I have found that I am one that is more sensitive I think.

{Saw a bread machine at a yard sale yesterday for $2.00 and wanted to get it!}
I recently decluttered all my bread baking pans.
I'd love to have a recipe to share with my mom as she bakes.

Today I need to work off that extra peanut butter cookie I had last night.

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:05 pm

I wanted to add that you may want to price all the ingredients.

I only have some of the seeds.

If you search on the web there are other recipes out there that are lower in carbs and healthy.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:29 pm

Today is raining so I may be doing house work for my exercise
as it's needed, in a bit. Counting Several trips up and down the stairs
and a short walk on the hill. I got done just before the rain started again.
Bonus found my walking shoes when I spiffed up my side of our closet. :mrgreen:

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:28 am

Harmony, they have P.E. for half the year, and in dd's case it is not this half, so I'm glad she got an active class right now to take its place. I really like hearing you feel "toned" - that's great.

In PWYC today I told that I'd had a headache last night like a sinus headache but seemed like a migraine, too. Realized I hadn't used the word "migraine" in a long time or taken a pain pill, either. Thought about those words - not having used the word "migraine" in a long time - and it dawned on me to do a search and find out when I last typed the word. :idea:

Astonishingly, I have not told the village about a migraine in a year. And I don't believe I would have had one and not said it here at all, although it's possible. Last 5 migraines were:
Sep 25 2009
Jul 3 ,2009 (described as Attack Migraine, yikes)
Mar 22, 2009
Jan 26, 2009
Dec 28, 2008
Is this the result of being 54 years old? Have I outgrown migraines?

I mentioned a sinus headache I was able to get rid of easily on Feb 25, 2010, and said the tylenol sinus I took was the first pain reliever I had taken in 2010. I don't remember taking a pain pill since. (trying to protect tummy, for one thing)

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:40 am

Harriet yea! For the break from sinus migraine pain!

Hubby has a bit of a cough that may be why he's been extra achey with muscle and joint pains could be a bug.

Today more de-cluttering and walking will be my exercise plus granny duty.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:19 pm

Well, maybe I expected too much! :? The NS-D commercials say A1C will be reduced by .9 and I planned on getting to come tell you guys that HRH was down that much! But not so. His was down .3

After talking it out with the nurse and looking up the references I see that she is probably right in her opinion that he hasn't been on it long enough to have a greater change. The NS-D research was always done on a 3-month basis and he had only been on the diet 1 month. Also, the average participant started out 1.0 higher than HRH did, so percentage-wise had more "room" for improvement.

The nurse says (sounding like my own usual thinking) that the trend is positive and that is enough to be very happy about, and that now that he's learned to eat this way, the next test may show the kind of improvement the commercials promise.

The dr has not been able to talk to HRH yet - he is by himself in the practice this week while the other dr is away. I'm sure when he does he will be very upbeat. He was complimentary of the weight loss Friday.

As of now, HRH has lost 16 pounds. There is OBVIOUS improvement in his snoring. I've had to wake him only 3 times in 7 nights and no CPAP machine. He has pulled out old slacks he hasn't worn in years and they fit fine. His jeans are baggy. He says he is no longer tempted by sweets and can grocery shop again. (thank goodness. I was tired by myself!) He promised a buddy to try a game of golf together again in Oct, so if I know my dh he will be at the driving range soon to make sure he's not too rusty.

Of course, this brings me back to the book we were impressed with, 30-day Diabetes MIracle that had all the statistics about what diets did what , and the ADA diet was successful in A1C reduction, but didn't beat a vegan diet, which was best. Of course, NS-D is based on ADA type recommendations and is certainly not vegan. I don't know if HRH would ever want to try vegan - somehow I don't think so! Interestingly, NS-D did not reduce A1C further in the participants at 6 months than it had after the 3 month time period, but no one's had gone up.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:54 am

Yesterday my exercise was mowing the yard last evening.
My blood sugar was great before bed.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:00 pm

Very good news, Harriet, for HRH and room for further improvement. That's good, what's even better is that he actually cares about this.

I'm struck by how specific in your plans all of our posters on the heath & fitness threads are. At the moment I am sort of ho-hum (not a good thing) and this morning after a bad day yesterday I was upp 1.5 lbs. That was a little wake up call. :shock:

So I'll watch a little closer. Like DH, who has gone up one size in clothes since work slowed down a couple years ago, I feel like "I have to get through this first". I don't have the mental capacity to worry / deal with all things at once. I have though drawn a line in the scale about where I will not go, and will stay on the safe side of that line for a while.

Return to “Healthy Habits”