What I Ate and Didn't Eat - September

Share healthy living habits.
OKay

Re: What I Ate and Didn't Eat - September

Postby OKay » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:25 am

Indiana - glad to hear you are "on to something". You are a wonderful detective!

Nancy - good job on balancing eats and insulin

Meal Plan for today (I don't have spreadsheet in front of me so I'm going by memory)

Breakfast - fiber bar
Sanck - Pear
Lunch - 1 cup of milk and Salad (3 kinds of lettuce, tomato & avocado)
Snack - banana
Supper - grilled Ham & Cheese Sandwiches
Snack - grape juice

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:43 pm

Warning this is an epic novel.

I believe I have found the cause for not eating and for other things.

I have eaten to be healthy since 1999. I never started on my quest to drop pounds just to get my diabetes under control. Dropping pounds was a bonus. I fear now I have really messed up my body from not eating for so long. Long ago I had to eat 3 meals and 3 snacks at a certain time each day with my diabetic meds. Although normally tight control is done with Type I I decided to do tight control to keep my diabetes in check. After having to eat 3 meals and snacks and at certain times I decided I only wanted to eat when I was hungry. That isn't working now. I need to find a compromise.

I go days doing well and other days – forget it. Straightening this out is harder than eating healthy. Although my foods are healthy, my overall eating plan for today wasn't healthy. 520 calories is not a good thing. I have messed up my body so badly that when I don't eat like this I'm not dropping pounds. I don’t need to be dropping pounds. I’m content with the few pounds I need to lose at 1.2 to 1 pound a month. My body thinks it is in starvation mode and holds on to everything.

Thanks to each of you Harriet, Lynlee, and OKay with your ideas it set me on the right track to figure out what was going so it didn’t take as long.

Lynlee you said to “try to eat one each of the main meals no matter what hour.” That made me think of having milk at least for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. When I have hot milk I either have it plain or do as you do – just a touch. A chocolate flavor but not overwhelming.

Harriet I got to thinking about the “unlimited” list. I need to watch sodium, and vitamin K. Also, try to include magnesium rich foods and potassium rich foods.

I kept thinking about the list and what I could snack on from the list. Besides liking all of them (OKRA though – I give my share to OKay). I have been snacking on blueberries. I have a bowl I put my vitamin K allotment in for the day and reach in for one or two. I could do the same with the other things that are vitamin K rich. By putting my allottment in a bowl then I can still have a green vegetable or fruit for dinner. Maybe they would kick-start my eating. HRH’s unlimited is a nice comprehensive one. Mine is a bit narrower:
Mushrooms
Radishes
Tomato (fresh)
Tomato, low sodium (canned)
Tomatoes, Cherry & grape

I think Josh Rubin nailed it on the head when he said: "You have to get healthy to lose weight, not lose weight to get health."

OKay you set me on the quest for checking meds by asking me what was on my menu plan and why I didn’t eat it. I didn’t answer you. I was just plain not hungry. So why wasn’t I hungry? There had to be a cause. Then when you said eating is influenced by so many factors that is what sent me along with what Lynlee and Harriet to research my meds.

I always check the side effects of my meds when they are new. I look at the “major call the doctor or go to ER” ones. I didn’t pay much attention to the side effects that can be bothersome.

Well I looked up each one and did a spreadsheet. Lo and behold, it is my meds contributing to probably 90% of it.

I take 20 meds daily. Some of them twice a day. It looks like for me when meds are added that have the same side effect that another one has then it is cumulative.

Not eating the number of meds::

5 – Intermittent abdominal pain
4 – Anorexia
10 – Nausea
3 – Gastritis

I don’t have nausea but I think it is not feeling hungry. I thought the anorexia was interesting.

The bad taste and loss of taste have cleared up but:

2 – Bitter Taste
2 – Loss of Taste

Some of the other things that have been happening now make sense.

1 – bronchospasms
2 – cough (I knew this one)
2 – dry eye
2 – dry mouth
5 – fatigue
12 – headache
6 – Insomnia
2 – muscle pain

So I had an aha moment with my :

infrequent bronchospasms
infrequent dry eyes
dry mouth
fatigue isn’t limiting but it contributes to late in the day
headache – more frequent dull headaches – not enough for tylenol
insomnia I just couldn’t figure out. I haven’t been sleeping
Muscle pain in my legs when I do go to bed infrequently

So although they are lesser side effects for me when it is several meds that have the same thing it makes me more prone to have the side effect.

I can’t change my meds – they work and what they fix are more important than the side effects. Know I know what it causing some things I can look for fixes.

This is going to be a slow process because I need to try one thing at a time to see if it works. If I try more than that at one time – which one worked.

My first thing is milk – I’m going to have a cup of milk for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. One reason to see if it helps my stomach and kick starts eating.

Thank you ladies you each took me on a different path that ended at the same place – meds.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:32 pm

See, it didn't dawn on me about the Vit K but now I realize of course that is part of your puzzle. Also was over-simplifying a time of low calories in my mind and now realize of course your time with low cal has been quite a while.

So glad you have not had any abdominal pain or gastritis, and the bad taste or loss of taste have cleared up - didn't realize you were experiencing that.

Blueberries - they are in the stores now (didn't say they were cheap, just that they were there). If they would be a favorite, is there a way you could freeze some for the winter months, to add variety? Sometimes in winter I can't find the unsugared bags of berries/peaches in grocery stores.

I need to try one thing at a time to see if it works. If I try more than that at one time – which one worked.

Sigh. Yep, that is so often part of the puzzle, isn't it? You are a good detective. You've discovered that you forgive the culprits, as they do you more good than harm and just have to be worked around.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:52 pm

((((Indianna))))..Blessings`in`your`quest.
Anorexia`means`loss`of`appetite.
thats`what`you`have`had.
(me`too`many`times)
For`me:-`re`meds`sometimes`taking`them`with`starch`would`counter`tummy`problems-
ache/nausea/loss`of`appetite.
I`was`surprised`in`the`Airola`book`
banana`smoothy`counted`as`a`meal`(high`in`potassium`from`memory)
so`does`cup`of`yoghurt`(with`additions)
I'm`wanting`to`suggest`trying`for`other`food`sources`as`well.

For`me`after`long`periods`(like`3`weeks)`without`eating(much`at`all/or`lots`of`vomiting)
watermelon`has`been`my`kickstart`to`eating.
I`know`the`sugars`are`all`wrong`for`diabetics...but`when`your`stomach`has`shrunk
you`don't`eat`much`in`one`go.`And`I`was`soon`eating`other`things`as`well.
(losing`22pound`in`2-3`weeks`has`not`been`uncommon`in`my`pas-t
not`to`be`recommended)

When`I`tried`the`no`salicylate/amines`diet`I`felt`really`ill`after`6`weeks
and`quickly`reintroduced`low/moderate`foods.`(or`else`I`risked`not`eating)
Again`the`airola`diet`as`suggested`is`too`high`is`sals`and`I`started`feeling`
really`fatigued`so`really`need`work`out`the`dividing`line`of`what`works`for`me.
And`honour`the`list`of`things`I`know`I`react`badly`too.
`Some`things`are`ok`occassionally.
Anything`I`want`to`eat`too`much`of,`have`some`odd`effect`when`I`stop`eating`it
regularly`,`can`be`a`suspected`allergen.
The`airola`book`tells`of`healing`allergic`reactions`
as`your`body`becomes`better`nourished.`I`can`but`hope.

I`know`you`don't`like`the`word`diet`but`if`you`can`find`a`copy`of`his`book`it`
may`be`helpful.`He`gives`lots`of`variations`to`each`meal/snack.
Indiana...I'm`sure`your`body/intestines`will`recover`to`function`much`better.
It`is`too`comlpex/varied`to`try`write`it`all`out`here.

Mostly..I've`been`left`with`lots`of`reactions`to`different`food...
but`then`other`family`members`have`that`to`many`things`too
and`they`haven't`starved`themselves.

Since`I've`been`on`my`version`of`airola...`according`to`my`scales
My'bones`are`now`2.8kilo`I/L`2.0k
fat`is`now`19.5%`I/L`23+%
muscle`is`now`34.7%`I/L`29+%
and`hydration`is`58.7%`I/L`56%
My`assumption`is`the`brewers`yeast`is`helping`my`body`assimilate`nutritian`better.
Maybe`it`all`works`together`as`a`whole.
I`only`know`the`figures`changed`in`2`days`between`weighings.
and`have`stayed`changed.`Maybe`the`scales`broke????`total`weight`stayed`the`same.
(last`weighing`was`52.7k.)
My`lowest`ever`was`31.3k`unable`to`keep`food`in`me`with`guardia
`highest`was`60k.(then`I`lost`10k`in`2`weeks`from`stress`of`being`in`a`psych`hospital
`food`just`rushing`thru.`I`ate`twice`the`normal`quantity`just`to`maintain`
weight`after`that)
Height`5ft2.5inches
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:44 am

(((dindiana)))
part of learning about food from dd21, (she has disordered body image/recovering eating disorder) that they find people who go too low in calories even if they are healthy foods and don't maintain regular eating pattern during the day your metabolism shuts down and thinks it's in starvation mode. they recommend that you spread out your calories through out the day.
so getting slowly back to breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks will help your metabolism but it takes a couple weeks. She was at residential for eating right for 5 months and then her body ran smoothly after a month and 1/2. It takes your body a while to trust that you are going to feed it.

I know when they they start to refeed someone their body has intestinal problems. suprising I didn't know that people who don't eat have lots of intestinal problems and insomnia. it took dd21 a really long time after feeding correctly before her body started running the way it should. (it took her months)

do you have a good nutritionist you can see.
Last edited by blessedw2 on Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:47 am

thought I would write what I ate to keep on my eating program: my next goal is 5 lbs.

6:15 am: 1 slice multi grain bread
2 tbl cream cheese (breakfast is my splurge time.. sometimes I have eggs and sausage/ etc.)
coffee with milk
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:05 pm

blessed that is why I knew my metabolism shut down because on the days I wasn't eating enough I wasn't dropping pounds. I didn't care if I did or not but I should have been.

Going back to the list of free foods Harriet listed I decided to make a list of good foods. SELF (love that site) has a list of super-nutritious foods. I add the list to "my foods". If I can eat some of those during the day I think will help while getting my eating back.

Two of them are kidney beans and blackeye peas which I thought was interesting with our bean talk.

I did take the seaweed products and soy products off except for the edamame.

It is a good list to use.

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:28 pm

Sunday

Breakfast
2 poached eggs 2 protein
ham 1/4 protein
miini english muffin 1 starch, 1/2 fat
milk 1 dairy

Lunch
milk 1 dairy

Dinner at shower
1/2 chicken sandwich 1/2 starch, 2 protein
carrots, cucumbers, green pepper 1 veg
pasta salad 1 starch (it would have been 2 starches but I wasn't thrilled with it so didn't finish)

Evening
milk 1 dairy

Sunday I started with making sure I got 3 dairy in.

Summary (goal) actual
calories (2000) 855
starch (8) 2.5
protein (7) 4.25
fat (4) .5
dairy (3) 3
fruit (5)
veg (5) 1

Monday

Breakfast
milk 1 dairy
scone 1 starch

Lunch
triscuits 1 starch
cheese 1 protein
milk 1 dairy

Dinner
Eggs 2 protein
mini english muffins 2 starch, 1/2 fat
milk 1 dairy

Summary (goal) actual
calories (2000) 870
starch (8) 4
protein (7) 3
fat (4) .5
dairy (3) 3
fruit (5)
veg (5)

I'm consistent on my milk but not hitting all food groups.

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:49 pm

Tuesday

Breakfast
Milk 1 dairy
Scone 2 starch
Strawberries 1 fruit

Lunch

Grilled cheese 2 starch, 2 protein, 2 fat
Milk 1 dairy
Apple1 fruit

Dinner

Ravioli 1 ½ starch, 1 fat
Italian orange salad 1 fruit, 1 fat
Milk 1 dairy

Summary (goal) actual
calories (2000) 1600
starch (8) 5 ½
protein (7) 2
fat (4) 4
dairy (3) 3
fruit (5) 3
veg (5)

Close to healthy eating day – too short on veggies.

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:04 pm

I posted what I thought I would eat today but removed it. It has changed so much that it is better to wait until the day is over.

Return to “Healthy Habits”