Health and Fitness, October, 2010

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Health and Fitness, October, 2010

Postby Harriet » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:27 am

Sometimes you feel like a nut.. ..

And October is probably one of those times. Fresh nuts will be more plentiful and available through autumn, so it will be easier to add them to your meals. (Nancy has an allergy to some nuts, so she will be cautious.)

"A new Harvard study found that women who get their protein from sources other than red meat are far less likely to suffer from heart disease. Those who ate one daily serving of nuts (except Brazil nuts) in place of meat reduced their risk by 30 percent; substituting one serving of meat with fish lowered the risk by 24 percent." - Parade Magazine

So why not Brazil nuts for your serving? When you have Brazil nuts, you want to have just a few a day. They are so rich in selenium (a good thing!) that a "serving" would far exceed USDA guidelines. Selenium is a mineral that does wonders for our immune systems, helps fight cancerous cells, and protects our bodies from heart disease.

"Dr. Christine Thompson has published a study in which, over a 12-week period, volunteers were divided into groups. Some took selenium supplements, and some just ate two Brazil nuts a day. After 12 weeks, the blood selenium concentrations of the Brazil nut group had increased the most, and they had more than twice the activity of a key antioxidant. The results indicate that including a couple of Brazil nuts a day in the diet could ensure a greatly enhanced selenium status without needing to fortify other foods or take supplements." - American Clinical Journal of Nutrition

There's only one type of nuts headed our way this autumn that we'd better try to dodge - the ones included in those SCARY :o bags of Halloween candy! Here's one plan for handling all that candy on sale in the stores right now:

"Tips for Halloween: Don't buy more candy than you'll need, and keep the bags sealed until Halloween night. Allow yourself three of your favorite treats in mini, fun or snack size, then brush your teeth or gargle with mouthwash. Give away all leftovers to the lucky last trick-or-treater of the night." - Joy Bauer

Yikes, mouthwash and then candy :? probably not. Sometimes you feel like a nut. Sometimes, you don't!

What other smart health choices are YOU making this October?

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Health and Fitness, October, 2010

Postby Nancy » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:12 am

Today not a good day I have had a melt down,
my blood glucose monitor is needing a battery.
So we need to go to town to get one of those.
~sigh~

Our doc. said to be cautious with nuts because they are high in fat.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:05 pm

Harriet wrote:Sometimes you feel like a nut.. ..

And October is probably one of those times. Fresh nuts will be more plentiful and available through autumn, so it will be easier to add them to your meals. (Nancy has an allergy to some nuts, so she will be cautious.)

"A new Harvard study found that women who get their protein from sources other than red meat are far less likely to suffer from heart disease. Those who ate one daily serving of nuts (except Brazil nuts) in place of meat reduced their risk by 30 percent; substituting one serving of meat with fish lowered the risk by 24 percent." - Parade Magazine

So why not Brazil nuts for your serving? When you have Brazil nuts, you want to have just a few a day. They are so rich in selenium (a good thing!) that a "serving" would far exceed USDA guidelines. Selenium is a mineral that does wonders for our immune systems, helps fight cancerous cells, and protects our bodies from heart disease.

"Dr. Christine Thompson has published a study in which, over a 12-week period, volunteers were divided into groups. Some took selenium supplements, and some just ate two Brazil nuts a day. After 12 weeks, the blood selenium concentrations of the Brazil nut group had increased the most, and they had more than twice the activity of a key antioxidant. The results indicate that including a couple of Brazil nuts a day in the diet could ensure a greatly enhanced selenium status without needing to fortify other foods or take supplements." - American Clinical Journal of Nutrition

Ummm...A`month`ago`I`bought`a`bag`of`brazil`nuts`and`have`thoroughly`enjoyed`them.
eating`a`small`handful`most`days....`I`was`going`to`get`more`today...`I'll`read`packet`again
and`*sigh*`try`to`keep`to`2-3.`I`was`finding`them`great`for`energy`in`the`afternoon.

Nancy`-`was`it`the`prev`night`that`you`skipped`dinner?
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:19 pm

Yes we had a late lunch last night and I did not need dinner bg was good too.

Today I mowed for my exercise.
Got the batteries replaced for my b.g. monitor today also.
Last edited by Nancy on Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:53 pm

thats`good`Nancy...

theres`latest`info`here...some`recipes...New`US`low`GI`food`products.(GF`as`well)
Also`proposal`to`re"name`HighFrucoseCornS?`...one`to`watch.
There`is`now`GI`testing`lab`in`Canada.
http://ginews.blogspot.com/#wholegrains
I`know...its`not`what`I`follow`atm...but`its`interesting`none`the`less.

I'm`off`to`farmers`market..fresh`fruit`&`veg`,
health`food`store`for`1st`saturday`specials`on`some`items.
Seems`to`be`where`I`spend`grocery`budget...cept`goatmilk`and`free`range`butcher.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:51 am

Lynl. farmers market what a wonderful idea!

I walked yesterday and mowed for exercise got in a bit more walking in the evening after dinner too. Feels like I've been sitting on my duff too much so had to get up and move.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:31 pm

Basic workout of 15 minutes this morning. I'm hoping to do this most days in October.

I have grudgingly agreed to start armour thyroid and dr prescribed 30 mg pill daily. Indiana, mine was $12 for a month's worth at our pharmacy - not shocking, but something to think about since this is "from now on". Nancy, I don't live very near a Wal Mart but starting a lifelong prescription does make a person think about what they are paying in general, whole-family-wise. The manner of taking them is a little inconvenient - I'm taking it with my first morning water then waiting at least a half-hour before anything else, when normally I would wait only 5 minutes or so before fruit breakfast. Since I want to exercise before drinking water (AR management idea) and like to eat after exercise, this is not exactly my favorite new health habit.

With last blood work, HRH's TSH thyroid reading had plummeted to a very low reading - odd for someone hypothyroid. So I am suspicious that the previous reading was inaccurate, and subsequent increase in dosage a mistake. His sister thinks that with the new "perfect" eating the thyroid might have started doing more on its own - she thinks that has happened to her before. No matter which, I am thinking he needs to insist that dr reconsider his dosage. There is no reason to risk hyPERthyroid problems over what may have just been a mistake.

Lynlee, I didn't know that Brazil Nut info myself until recently, and double checked on a few internet sites to be sure that article had it right. On "The People's Pharmacy", Joe and Terry said about the same thing, but that any problems anyone had from them would fade quickly. They said it was, "a little bit like Goldilocks’ porridge: you need enough, but not too much."

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:00 pm

Hmmm Harriet, why do you need to wait 1/2 hour? I know you need to take before breakfast and no St. John's Wort but I never heard of the 30 minutes.

Also if you are going to be on a maintenance dose you may want to check to see what your cost is for a 90 days supply sometimes it is cheaper.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:07 pm

I hated taking pills when I started with all the stuff the doc. wanted me on
now it's a part of my life. Took a while to get that into my routines.
I got some gummi vit. c. and adult gummi muliti vits. and its like now I "get"
to take them instead of have to take 'em! LOL! The are two per dose so I can
take one in the a.m. and one in the evening. Great for getting into the system more evenly
also if some one had trouble taking pills these are great! I had to hid them from the youngest
grandchild who does not understand they are not treats!

Took my walk this morning.
I did not get anything at the farmer's mkt. as they are done for the year here now.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:05 pm

Indiana, this is what I read on my pharmacy's "patient prescription information"

Take this medication by mouth as directed by your doctor, usually once daily on an empty stomach, 30 minutes to 1 hour before breakfast.

When my dmom was prescribed Synthroid it said this on the bottle itself, so it is what I was expecting to find. But on my armour bottle it just says before breakfast, on an empty stomach, AND...

AND... (sigh) .... I just noticed on the bottle it also says no iron or calcium within the next 4 hours, and I take my multi with breakfast. Ah, well. Maybe a little more schedule juggling.

I don't mean to complain. From what I read on the net, I am very likely to feel better even though I don't know of any particular symptoms right now besides wishing my hair was happier. I have even read that dry skin is improved and also "skin tone", so, hey, it's all good.

Return to “Healthy Habits”