Harriet

Re: Health and Fitness, October, 2010

Postby Harriet » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:43 pm

Sat 2 Basic workout 15 mins
Sun 3 Basic workout 15 mins
Mon 4 Walking, Hoe Downs

Tues 5 Walking, Hoe Downs
Wed 6 15 mins: stretch, lunges, balance

Yay, haven't had to resort to a nap since Sun. Sleeping better. Last night HRH said I even snored. :| Gee. :oops:

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:04 pm

Got my walk in a short one since I'd been shopping figured that was good.
Did a bit of zone work in the yard.
BS was good today!

Way to go Harriet!!!

Not going to buy trick or treat candy will be giving dgkids $1.oo instead this year.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:11 am

:D Nancy, are you happy for me because of daily exercise or are you really smiling because I was snoring? ;)

The truth about the $1 is that it will make a child's eyes light up a lot faster. Even children know that candy is not such a great treat, in the scheme of things.

Back at the daily grind (which is happy - I look forward to it):

Thurs 7 15 mins: stretch, lunges, balance

Fri 8 15 mins: stretch, arms, hoe downs
Sat 9 20 mins: "Step Away Inches" walking video

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:56 pm

Harriet both!!!
:)

Having rain here today so
it's a rain walk or house work for exercise!

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:41 pm

I am surely missing my bike rides, especially now that the weather is so nice. But I'm not going to go riding and leave DH behind because he is itching to get on his and I don't want to influence him negatively. He said he's going to ask the therupy people if he can, but my concern is that he'd be leaning his weight on his arm...

Been having awful AR problems, spiked up again after not too many problems. Thinking it's because of some candy I ate, yes I know not good, and it started the cycle all over again. Trying to keep caffeine consumption down. So hard when one is sleepy a lot.

Trying to eat better. DH also trying. Creeping weight problem for him reared it's ugly head when jeans would no longer zip...so got a couple pairs new size and he's pretty upset. Thinks he can't really do much about it till he's well, but we're watching foods better now.

Thought of Harriet the other day when I had stomach pain so bad I really felt sick and tried the pepto. Worked somewhat. I don't usually get the pain just the reflux, so don't know what was up, but this was during the flair which hasn't subsided completely yet.

Why does every holiday in america have to be celebrated with its own special candy? Easter eggs, Christmas candy galore, valentine chocolate, halloween candy, not to mention egg nog, birthday cake....how did we get to celebrating everything with food?

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:01 pm

Harmony, you are so right. Sugar, sugar everywhere. As I talked with dVetNeighbor today about eating sweets, I got to the point I didn't even want to THINK about sugar. She was explaining the process by which we have a "crash" after eating sweets earlier. She also said, did I know that even the most sensible fiber-rich muffin would still turn to glucose so efficiently in a person's system that a testing stick put into the mouth would turn blue to signal glucose reaction right away. So, she says, no wonder we react so negatively to truly sweet-sweet items.

Acid reflux - my recent thoughts - During this time, be sure to avoid carbonation and milk products as well. No tight clothes. Eat celery - I've learned it may not help so much at that moment but tends to make the successive hours easier. It's alkaline and alkalinizes (sp) the system if eaten regularly. Celery juice would be wonderful, but I never get around to doing it - if I went near the popular juice bar in the big city I think I'd drop in and have one! Lately when I feel something serious starting up in evening (or in the night) I am taking one chewable Gaviscon (a half-dose) and water. So far, that seems to do the most immediate good for the least reverse reaction later. The next day I have no problems because of it. I have to do that less than once a week. Most recently I think it was a yogurt that bothered me. There's always something that sneaks up on you, because other times you can have the trigger food with no problems - that's why it is such a maddening thing to try to research.

btw, both HRH and I, with our differing digestive concerns, continue to believe this product is a jewel for easing an after-meal upset. Even dd has chewed one for a stomach ache of unknown origin :roll: and announced she felt better within minutes. I only used the Amazon link because it was there with a photo - I buy from local Vitamin Shoppe. Notice Amazon also has a half-size bottle and a little roll like tums.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:20 pm

I definitely think it was sugar that triggered my problem this time. All I'd had was a little peanut butter, toast, strawberry yogurt, and chicken soup (homemade) all day. Now I have to be careful of several of those things, so in moderation and early in the day is ok. But with these things being iffy for me and then adding the candy in, yikes.

Helper was telling me he saw a program on TV about pepto bis. curing ulcers, actually killing the h-pylori bacteria, not just coating stomach, so I did a search about it. Find some places that do corroborate that, but most others say ulcers are treated with pepto & antibiotic and something like zantac.

I am trying to decide whether I should try the pepto routine for a month and see if it helps. I have not been diagnosed with an ulcer, but I have not been NOT diagnosed with one either. Also find that couples can pass the h-pylori between them, and TV show our helper saw said both need the pepto to stop it successfully. Hmmmm???

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:38 pm

Shopping and walking was my exercise today.
Got the idiots guide to carb counting cook book today at the thrift shop
looking forward to the info. and inspiration I will be getting from it.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:26 pm

Oh, Nancy, thanks, you remind me to post my days of exercise, too. I sure hope you enjoy the book.

Sun 10 - 20 mins Step Away Inches
Mon 11 - 1 mi walk, mall shopping
Tues 12 - heavy cleaning day, many steps - aching in calves through the day
Wed 13 - heavy cleaning day, many steps

Harmony, might as well just make this "AR Chat Night" :) . an initial bloodtest supposedly proved immediately that I did not have h. pylori. Dr said I "didn't get off that easy". And his later sending me (after being on Nexxium for 5 days and developing abdominal pain for the first time on the 5th day) for x-ray and barrium swallow supposedly proved I did not have an ulcer. Ultrasound showed that although I had a gall stone it was the unimportant kind no one cares about, and wasn't causing me any pain. So I am left with believing the dr's "gastritis" diagnosis. HRH hates this because he says the "diagnosis" literally means, "gee your stomach hurts, doesn't it?" ;)

So I have no choice but to believe all this - sure can't afford to double check with any more tests! Funny thing the antibiotic for the pneumonia did me SO much good, though. (Leading me to wonder whether taking garlic would help AR sufferers, since garlic is a natural antibiotic) And taking an aspirin causes pinpoint pain. Hmmm ... ... Who knows.

The honey Lynlee and I have talked about - Manuka Honey from New Zealand - is absolutely known to kill h.pylori and did not change anything for me. Good honey, just didn't help. So I guess h. pylori really is not my problem. I haven't heard the pepto bismol thing. I took it for an experiment about the pain, which I usually handle with diet. That's the only time I've had Pepto in a long time, but it did calm HRH down - he was all upset about the possibility I was really having GB pain, which can affect you anywhere through the abdomen or even back.

DGL Licoricefor ulcers is very successful in tests against ulcers, and natural, soothing in general. I have stopped chewing them to soothe my tummy since I started gaining more control, but there was a time I didn't let the bottle too far out of my sight! I remember finding it difficult to remember to take them 20 mins before meals.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:22 pm

Nancy, I need an idiot's guide to all sorts of health matters. It is all so complicated.

Harriet, I'd say your tests and stuff say you don't have H-P, and that's good. Helper saw the program about Pepto, it was all about the guy who invented it and nobody knew back then about h-p and lately discovered the pepto actually kills those germs too.

I don't know. It would be nice if something that simple (4 X/Day for a month) would stop all this nonsense. Tho I've always thought my problems were just the valve and not the ulcer because I have very little pain.

I figure when I'm retired & on medicaire, maybe I'll get the testing, but 4 more years of this is a long time...

Return to “Healthy Habits”