Health and Fitness, October, 2010

Share healthy living habits.
Indiana

Re: Health and Fitness, October, 2010

Postby Indiana » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:41 pm

I don't have that on my bottle I'll have to look at my information when I get a refill. Many of my meds are 1 hour before or 2 hours after eating.

I switched to taking with milk and I'll have to go back to no milk now that I think of the other meds I take. I guess more and more pharmacueticals are changing to 30 minutes to 1 hour before and 2 hours after. It makes sense to me because on an empty stomach it is absorbed better. I'll have to hold out my ones that say take with food to have with breakfast or milk.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:19 pm

And, see, I really concern myself with this because of the stomach upset issue. I really hope to take everything with food and "hide" it among the other things I'm eating so that I have less chance of upset. I have one I'm supposed to take in the evening and have counseled with dr to get to take it at supper. I don't think the armour, which is small, will be a concern - hasn't so far - I just think of these things because you seem to be right that more and more are calling for separation from food.

If it were up to me, everything would come in the gummi style like Nancy's multi. I read that some people let the armour pills melt under the tongue - wondering why. My ddad takes B-12 under the tongue/subligually and we're thinking of it for HRH. Those taste really good, though, and are meant for it, dissolve quickly.

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:46 pm

I don't know why they let it melt. It is so small that it goes down easy. Watch your stomach and see what happens. I never had any trouble and I have been taking it for 38 years. I fact the same dosage 1 grain (60 mg).

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:02 pm

That wasn't necessarily a wise suggestion I gave to try it and see how your stomach reacts.

Better suggestion is to set aside the fear it is going to hurt and take it. The other is talk to your doctor to see what she suggests.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:36 am

I`take`it`first`thing...wait`an`hr(or`40min)`for"morning`drink,then`cereal`cooks`for`20.

Always`take`it`with`a`glassof`water...Read`of`people`who`had'just`swallowed``tablet`that
`stuck`to`their`oesphogus?sp?`causing`severe`problems.
Other`alternative`is`take`it`at`bedtime`2-3`hours`after`food.
consistancy`is`key.
My`tsh`is`very`low...but`if`I`take`less`my`T3`&`T4`levels`are`down.
ok...I'm`playing`with`lower`dose`atm`again.`Will`see`what`happens`next`blood`test.
currently`taking`25mgT4=synoid(1/2`old`dose)`
and`10mg`T3(tertroxin)`3`days`out`of`4;`5mT3`other`day.
Unless`I`pay`someone`to`make`a`lesser`T3`tablet`its`hard`to`get`it`right.
One`time`I`was`shaving`a`bit`off`the`1/2`tablet...not`an`exact`science.

Refined`coconut`oil`(cold`pressed)`claims`to`help`thyroid.`I`got`some`to`try.
(its`not`the`same`as`copra)
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:01 pm

Re: Thyroid
Food can interrupt the absorption in to the blood stream.
I get up to pee about four and take my thyroid then.
I learned recently that soy can effect thyroid and can interfere with it's effectiveness
soy is in a whole lot of foods!
Check around for better prices on Rx check bi-mart; rite - aid; Payless,Walgreen, and other chains that give great prices on meds! Even if you are not there often you can get them for 3-4 months at a time. I get all my pills at the same time but only a month at a time.
I've encouraged hubby to get his all at once too it saves a trip.

I'm back from my morning walk today did my regular route plus the hill.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:38 am

Brazil nuts

Due to Brazil nuts' high selenium content, these chunky, tasty nuts can be seen as a "complete" protein source.

How much to eat?

Eight medium Brazil nuts count as one serving (30 grams). Since these nuts are relatively high in fat, they shouldn't be included in the diet more than three times per week. These nuts should also replace other fats in the diet and shouldn't just be added.

Nutritional values

Have a look at the nutritional values of Brazil nuts.

Key benefits

Brazil nuts are particularly healthy due to their high selenium content, which makes their protein content "complete". This means that, unlike the proteins in most plant products, Brazil nuts' proteins contain all the necessary amino acids to foster optimal growth in humans (in the same way as proteins from animal products do).
http://www.health24.com/dietnfood/Healt ... 21-637.asp

so`averages`at`3`max`a`day...I`ve`cut`back...I`did`buy`some`more.
Last`month`I`ate`most`of`a`K`pack. :roll:
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:50 am

Nancy I believe you are talking about synthetic thyroid as far as soy is concerned. I don't think it is the same for natural. Also I believe the jury is still out on foods that impact thyroid.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:55 am

I read that same thing about soy/thyroid connection, Nancy, and wondered, because back before my dmom went in hospital for the long visit spring 09 I had started soy shakes, and ultimately ended up having days with little else. Who knows.

I am finding that naps are creeping up on me and foiling my attempts at good regular sleep times. Yesterday I just couldn't help myself and napped while dstepson was here. He is hardly "company" but surely I didn't intend to do that? Then last night I couldn't sleep well. So I am going to try the remedy of quick exercise when I feel sleepy at an unintended time. I'll probably do hoe downs from the "try before you buy" page at T-Tapp.com because I won't even have to get out a DVD and it will get my eyes open.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:29 am

Indiana thanks for that great thyroid info.

I had to have a retest and they tweaked my dose so it's good to just get one month at a time
until that's figured out I think it was called ultra sensitive when my blood work was done.

Return to “Healthy Habits”