Health and Fitness, November 2010

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Health and Fitness, November 2010

Postby Harriet » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:42 pm

Let's do something healthy with November! There's a 30-day clean slate awaiting us! For some of us it's the month that leads up to the season of more social engagements, more visitors and more acquaintance-renewal than any other time of year! :shock: For others, it's going to be a month of recuperation back to strength, so we're making plans to feel a lot better by it's end! No matter what, we can see a positive change a month from now with a little Habit Forming!

:idea: Can you "put your finger on" the change/trend you'd enjoy seeing over the month? What is it?

:idea: What is the habit(s) that, in 30 straight days (or 15 "every-other-days"), could offer you that change?

If you'd like to, commit with us to the new habit(s) you choose for November and we'll cheer each other on for 30 days!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Health and Fitness, November 2010

Postby Nancy » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:24 pm

I walked today it was great weather for us here!
I broke it up into two segments dgd was with me for part of it
and she played in the yard too. I did a bit of gardening today.
Leaf raking will be on my schedule but they are not down here yet.

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:47 pm

Can I do "not fall"?

I want to concentrate on arm curls with my bad arm using my bar.

Those are my 2 things for November.

Cowinkie

Postby Cowinkie » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:13 pm

Ok...I'll use y'all to keep me honest. ;)

In the past 3 months, can't really count one of them cause of my broken ribs, I've lost 15lbs, brought my body fat down from 39.9% :o to 33 and now I'm shooting for 28%

My BMI has dropped from 31 to 23.8 and approximately lost 14 inches all around my body. I have 15 more lbs to go and hope to get there before Dec. 4th cause I'm hooking up with an old childhood friend. We are planning to spend the day hiking and then she is treating me to a spa treatment.

I am getting up most mornings at 4:30 to get my floor exercise in. I'm working weights and cardio. I still can hardly work a 7.5lb hand weight. Sometimes, ok most of the times, I feel like a fool when I'm in the gym struggling with my 10lbs hand weights while the Superman types are working right next to me ;)

I'm eating well, but sometimes cheat...Halloween almost did me in, but I kept things in check. Now I'm about to crank it up with my workouts and tighten up my eating. My trainer keeps me on track, but the woman in the mirror does NOT match the one in my mind. However, I have a positive attitude. My big girl undies are literally falling off, and I've gone down 2 pant sizes.

Indy...While I can do arm curls with my right arm with 10lbs, I can only do them with my left arm with 5lbs. The mini-strokes I had years ago really effect my body strength on my left side. I'm also working on my balance. If I don't, I don't even want to imagine what I'll be like in 20 years...that in its self keeps me motivated.
Live boldly, take risk, no regrets...Jillian Michaels

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:31 pm

I'm`going`to`aim`at`having`tv`turned`off`at`9.30`pm.
Its`part`of`my`earlier`to`bed`strategy./my`more`sleep`journey`thats`taking`me`a`while/years
to`wind`up`with`earlier`bed`times.
If`I've`been`out`I`still`need`"wind`down"`time.
`Last`night`I`tried`to`figure`out`my`crochet`joining`again.
I`still`did`that`for`an`hr..then`the`regular`bbr...
lights`were`out`at`midnight`and`it`took`a`while`to`get`to`sleep.
Anyway..next`time`crochet`shouldn't`take`as`much`brain`power.

(for`years`I`tried`"earlier`bedtime"`goal`without`much`success`until`I`started
computer`off`time`goal....That`has`gotten`earlier`gradually`-now`at`8,30pm.
so`now`I'm`formalising`the`tv`off`goal...I`will`let`myself`watch`a`movie`sometimes`though.
Which`will`mostly`go`later`than`that.)
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Lilac

Postby Lilac » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:12 pm

Thought I would post health issues here.

Last Tuesday I went to the dentist to get a root canal. He told me that he hadn't documented it fully when he had taken off the decay of my post and put my crown back on. He knew what he had done but the substitute dentist didn't know and by what he read he surmised I needed a root canal. My dentist says it takes a while for it to heal, especially since it was so close to the root, that is why I was having all that pain. He wants to wait awhile and see if it continues to heal. He did put a filling at the gum level because there was a small area that was allowing cold or hot liquids to aggravate the nerve.

I am still dealing with the burning issue from my bladder problems and biopsy. I have quit taking bubble baths in case that was causing it. That didn't help at all. So now I have switched to D ove S ensitive S kin body wash instead of the scented ones. Also, instead of washing my hair while taking my bath, I now wash it afterwards at the kitchen sink. I have a large and deep whirlpool tub. After I bathe I stand up and use the hosed faucet head to rinse any soap off. I never use the whirlpool jets. When the last owners had it installed instead of getting the heater for it, they hooked up a second hot water heater. There was a 50 gallon and a 30 gallon. When the 30 gallon quit, we just took it out. Then I realized that 50 gallons of hot water isn't enough in that big of a tub. It cools off too quick. Anyway, these changes are helping to a degree. DD1 told me that after 10 days - 2 weeks, if there is no more improvement, I need to call the urologist. I am fine around home, but when I leave home and go to the grocery store or W almart, it always starts burning. I know I walk faster going from the car to the store, but I am just not a pokey walker. I haven't been able to walk for exercise for 6 weeks. I am so tired of dealing with this.

I sure have realized just how much I took good health for granted until I was diagnosed with diabetes. Plus getting older has added challenges too.

Blah, blah, blah if I hadn't spent so much time with this post, I wouldn't even post it.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:29 am

((((Lilac))) I hope you get some relief soon... from my mom's experiences, I know how troubling a bladder condition can be. Sending lots of (((BIG HUGS))) & good wishes your way.
Tomorrow is another day.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:14 am

I found some cranberry chews at Wal-mart and they are tasty!
Every one likes them. I'm also enjoying the gummy chew-able vitamins.
Got kids instead of adults this time hoping they won't hurt me! :roll:
However the vanilla and chocolate chew able calcium supplements do not seem to have
the maginisum sp? in them.~ Sigh ~

I did two walks yesterday one regular one with dgd and another w dgson looking for binkie dgd seems to be missing w/out success.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:18 pm

Cowinkie! We need one of those little bowing smilies!
Put that woman's photo on the Wheaties box, she's turned into a role model!

Lilac, as you speak of just the ordinary daily precautions concerning urinary comfort, and Nancy mentions cranberry, it reminds me of the remarkable relief my dear aunt received by taking D-Mannose. (Same concept as cranberry for urinary issues - fruit - but much stronger, faster working. The Soloray brand of capsules from vitamin store are for daily maintenance.) If bacteria has anything to do with it, the D-Mannose is more "attractive" to the bacteria, which then binds with the D-Mannose and travels with it out of the body. Just a thought - might not have to do with this.

How are the arm curls going, Indiana? What kind of a bar do you have?

Lynlee, I've found that allowing myself to think about handwork/needlework as I fall asleep is very helpful. It's not a "no-brainer", but a "pleasant-brainer".
If you don't believe in miracles, you're not being realistic.

Lilac

Postby Lilac » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:59 pm

Harriet, thank you for that info. I was taking cranberry supplements. Then last week I switched to the AZO cranberry tablets. I will check on the ones you recommended. I have had a lot of burning today. It seems like my life revolves around this issue.

Nancy, are the cranbery chews with the raisins, etc.?

Return to “Healthy Habits”