Health and Fitness, November 2010

Share healthy living habits.
Harmony

Re: Health and Fitness, November 2010

Postby Harmony » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:03 pm

I've been wracking my brain to come up with a workable easy plan. I came up with something to try. Soup. If it isn't soup I can't eat it. Simple and easy.

I always make fat free ones, by skimming the cooled broths and there are lots of fresh veggies in there plus protein plus most times a little brown rice and/or barley. Soup, by it's nature of taking a while to eat, doesn't contribute to the eating-too-much at one sitting. Any time I'm hungry I can heat up some soup.

Yesterday I looked for some beef with bones to make some beef barley soup, and in the whole meat case there was no roasts with bones! What's up with that? Well, except oxtail and I have no clue what to do with those, plus there wasn't much meat on them.

There are low sodium ones to buy and soup starter mixes and I bought a variety. I had butternut squash with a little skim milk added to thin for breakfast. As long as I stay away from highly creamed ones I should be ok, right? It's hard to overdo it with soup. I'll let you know how this turns out. If I decide to track this I will put it in the eating thread.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:29 pm

You know, that's interesting. When my dmother and her twin went away to college, early 1930s, they learned from the more sophisticated students that the new vogue for women was to eat nothing but liquid foods in order to "keep your figure". Actually, I think it was considered more or less healthy. Lots of soups.

HRH says the current trend is to leave meat counters a little bare, to encourage asking for cuts of meat, because studies show that interaction with the employees results in larger purchases. :|

dd and HRH went walking again today and ran into my ddad out walking. Glad they are taking advantage of this last hurrah of a very mild autumn. 68 today and cloudless.

editing - later I took dd on a hike through the woods - will have to look it up to see how long, but certainly a mile or two. Saw deer and some kind of ground nesting bird - it didn't call, but it was brown, so I'm assuming quail. As we returned the temp was 61. Just lovely, and a lot of hills, so I was feeling that muscle I mentioned to Lynlee! ;)

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:20 pm

Harmony soups is a good idea. It is filling and good for you as you say as long as they aren't a heavy cream base.

Next time ask the butcher for some soup bones. They have some in the back.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:38 pm

I've been hearing dd talk about this Zumba work out so I watched the infomercial about
it today. I'm not sure if it's for me at my age looks like most were young gals and a few guy doing it. http://www.zumba.com/us/

I've been working on s cleaning up some things around here for my exercise today
I went out to the play house, I've been up and down the stairs a lot and
made sure I was "in motion" for 30+ min.

I got on the cardio-glide for 10 min. decided that I can use what I have and working out on it now is a great idea. I'm getting it back into my routine and I can do this when it's cold and or dark out.

{My bs goes down 25 points 20-30 min. after I walk.}

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:34 am

Back on the treadmill. It took 30 minutes I didn't have to leave snuggling with dh to get onto it. Sigh... The rest of the morning will be a rush since we have to be at church in 90 minutes and I'm just starting the work-out.

Ate better yesterday. I'm still not counting WW points, just trying to do better. Only one baked Cheetos (but a big bowl of airpopped popcorn which has the same number of points as the cheetos.)

Both nights I haven't been able to eat my whole dinner. Last night I left some meat and 1/3 of my potatoes. The night before it was my potatoes (just a couple of tablespoons.)

Harmony Soup is excellent and a staple at WW. There are lots of vegetable based soups you can make that will lower the fat count even further if you can't find bones.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:12 am

I'm walking the ddogs regularly - still doing short walks for Macs but working toward longer walks to build up his strength.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:09 am

Harmony I didn't mention to have the butches split the bones for you into smaller sections. That way you need only us what you want and put the rest in the freezer for another time.

I have three healthy soups listed under diabetic exchanges and soups on my blog. All three are good. When I reheat them if there isn't enough broth I'll add low sodium V8 juice.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:31 am

On the treadmill again. I'm using my old laptop here so I don't have to move it back and forth and it took 4 minutes to come up from standby so I've had to skip my warm up song since I was already up to 3 mph.

Another better day eating yesterday. We went to the diner for lunch (bad) but I forgot to order french fries (dh orders onion rings and I get fries and we share) so that was good. I also skipped ice cream. So that has to be about 600 calories skipped.

For dinner I didn't bother with a potato and added an additional veggie - steamed broccoli. So another success.

The snacking in the day was limited to popcorn (perfectly acceptable when I have it at home) and we went for a long stroll through the village (not working up a sweat but moving for 45 minutes thus not in the kitchen, eating!)

I'm only weighing myself about once a week so have no idea if these changes are making a difference yet. Quite often I don't lose weight when I start working out because the muscles hoard water in order to mend after being strained so there is a water gain.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:19 am

Did 10 min. on the cardio glide after each meal yesterday
I need to get on it four times at this length and then work up
so that's my goal for this week. I can do ten minutes.
I can do this!!! <- That's my affirmation.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:33 pm

Seems this isn't such a goofy idea after all. Thanks Indiana, must check out your blog. I'm doing ok, through a day of panic I always feel when starting a new plan. Always boomerangs a little bit as I obsess about food, etc., then I settle down. I know my food issues are all mental!

Return to “Healthy Habits”