Health and Fitness, December 2010

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Re: Health and Fitness, December 2010

Postby Harriet » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:35 am

Nancy, you are making good use of your weather for some activity. Our two climates are no longer the same! We are freezing here! My ddad has reduced his outdoor walks to a little time at about 2:00 in the afternoon, and then he really bundles up. It occurs to me that a good thick corduroy coat would make him a nice present.

As you guys have had to hear already, I've been forced to become an expert on acid reflux. I was delighted to find this excellent series of illustrated articlesthat cut right to the chase of things I had to learn through lots of research. I especially think the articles, "Cooking Tips" and "Lifestyle Changes" are helpful. This series mostly uses the word, "heartburn", which has the same meaning as GERD and acid reflux, but fell out of favor with med pros because it seemed to relate the problem to the heart. I had heard most of this discussion before, but never all in the same place, plus this is just clear as a bell on some things I had only read about as anecdotes or personal tips.

The stuff about the wedge I had to figure out for myself. I would add: one solution is to use the wedge for the first part of the night until you waken at some point realizing your last meal is likely well away from the stomach, and then switch to a regular pillow so you can sleep in different positions comfortably. You don't want to constantly sleep in the same position all the time.

I've continued to do 30 mins of the Arms video every day for three days. The site for the food diary has continued to be helpful to keep me on target with eating, which has been excellent, and I've gotten in more water. The vitamin tracker has jogged my memory about pills a couple times! I'm very pleased with this particular week. Now if I can just shake this bronchitis thing, a lot will be off my mind. The prednisone is definitely making me jumpy (and I think irritable) and my hands make mistakes at the keyboard by themselves. Just another day or two.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:40 pm

Weight in this morning and am at the same weight good news for the holiday season.
Soup is my secret weapon! LOL!

Back from my 45 min. walk nice sunny 54* degrees outside right now. A neighbor honked and waved as he drove by. Saw some wood peckers today but no deer.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:28 am

On the treadmill. I've been less reliable this month about doing it but I am on at least 4 times a week. It should be more because we are out so much in the day that we are skipping our walk for the mail in order to save time or avoid foul weather. On the other hand, I'm walking a lot while out, just not fitness walking.

I have no idea about my weight but am pretty sure it is up at least 4 lbs (it was when I last checked about a week ago.) I'm eating so much baking it doesn't stand a chance. I'm still off daily diet coke/dr. pepper but am having it at times when I'm out. I'm still drinking diet gingerale though, so have aspartame in my life. But I only drink 1 can of that a day compared to 3 - 4 of diet dr. P or Coke so that's been reduced a lot.

My TOM finally came two days ago. So that's twice in a row that it has come at 46-47 days instead of 24 days. It is completely different as well, with a heavy flow for me. I used as many tampons yesterday as I'd usually use in a complete cycle. Luckily, for some reason my body makes me want to pee badly when my tampon is needing changing so there were no major messes but I was acutely aware of where all the public washrooms were yesterday!

Finally, I'm fighting off a cold with lots of vitamin C and extra B and zinc at night. Just a runny nose for now but I'm watching it closely. I'm so prepared for Christmas that getting sick now would just be a shame but not a disaster which allows me to put extra effort into the fight against this cold - more sleep, more water, more relaxing and enjoying life instead of stress.

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:11 am

Cool Kathryn -

I'm so prepared for Christmas that getting sick now would just be a shame but not a disaster which allows me to put extra effort into the fight against this cold - more sleep, more water, more relaxing and enjoying life instead of stress.

OKay I was thinking about what you gave your DGS's for breakfast the other morning. Teenage boys need something like that once in a while. You could make them Hawaiian pizza with ham and pineapple - it covers all the food groups or pineapple upside down cake - it covers them too.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:02 am

I've not been as active fighting a cold.

But did get in some exercise yesterday shoveling two driveways and our patio and deck
it's great for a change of pace and the fresh air is always great!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:36 am

I'm on the treadmill again this morning. I've done pretty well making it on every second day at least this past week. Now that it has turned so cold, I feel I need the treadmill since I may not want walks.

Ds just crabbed at me when I asked him to set up the ironing board. He's worried that having ds here will upset my routines (I try to keep the house quiet while he's sleeping.) Yesterday, I just made sure I got the noisy appliances out of the way before he got home from work in the morning and then washed the floors later. Now that the ironing board is up, I'll iron (it is old and really noisy to set up and is in the room next to ds.)

Somehow, getting on the treadmill earlier because I want to get it done before he gets home is acceptable (the treadmill and iron are in the same room) but being quiet otherwise is not.... I'm not sure which of us being unreasonable here (we've been sniping at each other a lot in the last 24 hours.)

This probably doesn't belong in Healthy Habits except it fits under mental health (and lack of it!)

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:41 am

Yesterday my exercise was house hold chores.
Today it's 48* and the snow is gone if the wind dies down I'm considering a walk.

Return to “Healthy Habits”