Health and Fitness, January 2011

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Health and Fitness, January 2011

Postby Harriet » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:55 pm

Welcome!

This is a thread about gaining and maintaining strength for our wonderful calling, Homemaking. As we care for our own health, we grow more capable and competent to care for our families, our neighbors and our communities. As we become more effective, our hopes for ourselves and those we care about get the best chance!

Please let us know about your good news of 2010, or your frustrations. Did you reach a milestone, make a change, meet a goal?

It's the beginning of a new year, with lots of ways to look at our clean slate of possibilities. Are you going to be creating a better set of healthy habits in 2011?

Here are a couple questions for the first month of a new year :

1) If would KNEW it would take you 21 days to create the habit you dream of today, what would your new habit be, and how would you be feeling better as soon as January 22nd?

2) This is the month of new calendars and planners. What kind of record-keeping seems to help you the most with healthy habits, and how do you help yourself stay faithful to it?

And in the spirit of laughter being the best medicine :

Half the modern drugs could well be thrown out the window, except that the birds might eat them. ~Martin Fischer

Red meat is not bad for you. Now, blue-green meat, that's bad for you. ~Tommy Smothers

A good laugh and a long sleep are the best cures in the doctor's book. ~Irish Proverb

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Health and Fitness, January 2011

Postby Nancy » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:51 pm

Joke:
Q. Does pie make you fat?
A. Only if you eat it!

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:56 pm

Checking In.
I'm up 5 lbs. sigh hoping it's water as I focused on fluid intake yesterday.

I walked first time this year outdoors today, it was up to 43* so decided I needed to
get to it it was 41* and dusk when I left brisk but the fresh air was great. I only did about a mile but better than none.

The days are getting longer it was not dark at 4:30 yet so that's encouraging.

Had to go back to writing down my meals for a bit as I tweak meds.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:32 am

I've used WW online now for three days and stayed "on plan." I'm not even doing a beginning weigh in until Friday, tho. Feeling successful at eating and logging what I eat - I even got the WW app loaded to my iPad.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:10 pm

I got up did some exercises and took a letter out to the mailbox and it is not so cold out so I have a walk planned for later on today yea! BS is great this morning great news!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:27 pm

My doctor casually mentioned the other day that he personally did a small study of 20 of his own patients putting them on an Atkins-like diet because of cholesterol and high A1C numbers. Both numbers were dramatically reduced. Now, HRH cannot do Atkins because of his gout, but I considered that interesting. My cholesterol is high, but I don't want to do Atkins because of HRH and also because the one time I tried it in my life I didn't feel well. I remember one thing was that my finger-joints hurt, which I think is something similar to the reason you can't do it with gout. Btw, I told him about OKay's beans-every-day cholesterol help and he said he thought people would actually do that and be able to stick with it - he said he himself would probably enjoy it.

Yesterday I had too much sodium and awakened in the night feeling bad. By morning my fingers were swollen, it seemed. My back didn't feel good. Things just weren't right. Today I have made sure to get my water and hold the sodium down. I had rice, beans and spinich for supper.

Record keeping - Now that my improved acid reflux is not requiring so much record-keeping of diet, I am going back to my 4x6 graphed index card on the fridge. I think I keep up with my water better with that.

Nobody has a habit picked out yet? (Wait - Twins Mom has.) I'm sure mine will be something about exercise. I don't want to claim it yet because I am so overwhelmed with after-holiday redo and first-of-year organization/paper. I want to give it a fair shot. I am exercising, though, but it just hasn't been regular enough to call it habit-making.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:19 pm

My weight was up 2 lbs. from the holidays. I was actually pleased it wasn't worse.

Been trying to get back to my diet, as that needs to be my focus again. Have to get there mentally first. Really start out each day determined, but fall off the wagon over and over. I am doing better, just not where I need to be. I cannot get myself to start the writing down process. Partially because a dreaded project is taking up the space I usually use to spread out my papers. Once that's gone it will be easier.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:38 pm

Putting away Christmas decorations was my exercise.
I'm down a couple pounds yea!
Tried logging food intake that lasted oh about two days!
Last edited by Nancy on Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lilac

Postby Lilac » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:50 pm

Went to the dr. today. My A1C was up. I haven't exercised since late Sept. due to the bladder issue. Once that was better then I needed to concentrate on Christmas. My weight was also up. So I need to concentrate on getting my A1C and weight down before I go back in 3 months.

Monday I woke up with a knot next to the crowned tooth that has caused me so many problems. It was still there today. I called the dentist. I figured it was infected and that I would now need a root canal. He agreed and put me on an antibiotic. I will be on it for 10 days. After that they will put me on the list to call if he has cancellations. I still have the appt. for Feb. 8 that was made in early Oct. He thought I would be alright until then, but it was my choice to be put on the list.

Later this month I have an appt. with the urologist. I am doing a 3 day in a row urine collection for testing. I was suppose to call his office 2 weeks before the appt. to set up what he called a fish test. They test my urine under an ultraviolet light. I called today. The gal said she would have the nurse call. Did she? No! I have called that office 4 times, since I started seeing him and left a message twice and talked to this same gal twice and never had a return call.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:44 pm

My a1c is up also I'm sure b/c of lack of exercise holiday and ice & snow, and sinus - ear infection. But today it's normal yea!
It's warmer so today I'll be walking.
Trying to stay active indoors is a challenge when feeling puny b/s of sinus ear issues.
Last edited by Nancy on Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Healthy Habits”