Health and Fitness, January 2011

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Re: Health and Fitness, January 2011

Postby Harriet » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:50 am

As of today, 6 straight days of exercise for me.

HRH wants me to un-recommend just the Pintos by the Margaret Holmes company because they use MSG in that ONE product. Hadn't tried it, didn't know that.

Reading the brand new Atkins book since my dr is gently nudging me to consider it. Have tried 2 days loosely following it, just thinking. Not too much of a shock to my life when you get past the concept of no fruit for breakfast. HRH is eating what I eat, but also adding starch since he shouldn't eat too low-carb. Dd12 is a bit concerned that we won't have treats in the house, lol! Tried the chocolate pudding recipe last evening, and aside from an aching shoulder when I whipped the cream by hand, twice, (sigh, HRH suddenly wanted to try, too) it was lovely - not enough of it.

Fruit for breakfast (blender) religiously every morning is one of the things I credit with easing my acid reflux. So the jury is out on this. I do want to bring my cholesterol back in line, but if I feel the least bit of fear about the AR, I will drop this idea. Also, I always took my supplements with the smoothie and now I don't see an obvious meal to take them with, so thinking about that. I have gone back to the liquid vitamin and seem to see a positive difference. It is a little harsh so, again, if AR flares I will quit that again.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:07 am

Am continuing w WW - have eaten and kept food journal for two whole days - it seems like much longer but I know it will become habit eventually. Need to plan for lunches at work and healthy quick suppers for me during tax season.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:39 am

Got my walk done yesterday saw and heard song birds it's encouraging to be able to say that!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:24 am

Nancy, that must have made you think of spring coming.

Twins Mom, IKWYM about "2 whole days" of watching food seeming like longer.

I am not journaling meals right now but HRH and I are trying to eat according to the Atkins book, and be able to tell the dr about it. (HRH much less strictly than the book would suggest, being careful.) I am having some feelings like... ... acid-y. But not classic. Missing my daily beans, which won't work on this plan. If he would just go to the cafeteria with me, I would so enjoy that - would love my favorite broiled fish that they make. But he dreads the place when avoiding so many of the items that will be tempting, placed right in front of him.

Have continued daily exercise for a week. The downstairs DVD/VCR player is not making a connection with the tv somehow. Very frustrating. I kind of like exercising upstairs because it feels private, but the temperature is higher and I am less comfortable.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:03 pm

Yes it does! It was 55* for my walk yesterday.
I'm happy I can be out walking again now.
Yes Harriet it makes me think of spring!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:50 am

January summary:

Exercised almost every day. And have often bumped my exercise up to an hour (and three miles) on the treadmill. But only when I get distracted by something online that I want to respond to. Otherwise, it is 1.75 - 2 miles. When the weather was decent enough, we also did the 2 mile walk for the mail.

Re-started WW two weeks ago. It is an adjustment since I'd gotten quite bad.

This past weekend was a failure. I had done very well all week long (extra exercise meant I hadn't used flex points so went into the weekend knowing I couldn't possibly fall off program.)

Then dh suggested lunch at the diner on Sunday after McDonalds for dinner on Saturday. And I didn't say no. This morning, my weight-loss for the week has disappeared. Yes, it is likely salt but I still have lunch out today with a friend so I'm going to be hard pressed to stay on program for the week (today's my last day for the week.)

I know what to eat when out but don't eat it because I'm too tempted. Although, to be honest, there is nothing appropriate at all at the diner, the closest is the BLT but I can have that home so have a bacon cheesedog. And onion rings. <hangs head in shame>

Today will be full hour on the treadmill even though I've apparently 'finished the internet' and can't find anything interesting to read.

I'm still within hitting distance (barely) of my goal of 170 for Feb. 24. After that, the first five days of the trip will be rough (Hong Kong, Sydney plus two overnights on planes so exhaustion and bad back affecting walking.) Once I'm on the ship, it is up to me how I eat but I'll have no excuses since there's unlimited fruit and salad at every meal. And lots of low salt and fat meals (because the average age of this cruise will be around 65 and many will be on low-something orders from doctors.)

How I do on the trip will determine whether I make my mid-June goal of 140. But I'm going to hang onto that goal for a while.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:59 am

Well, I haven't done all that well this month. Trying to watch, but it is so hard when it is cold. Keep wanting to eat to help get warmed up. We've started back up biking. Sat. bike ride I discovered my new hoodie does not have a drawstring around the hood. I believe I can add one. Plus now I can't grip the handle well with my sore hand and have to bike mostly one-handed. Still working on diet challenges. My AR has flared up and is my constant companion. Altogether, not a good report for this month, so I am just looking forward.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:51 pm

Kathryn, sodium water-retention can leave fast. Don't beat yourself up over something that fleeting. You are doing great. Smiling to think you are on the treadmill longer when you are interested in internet info. Might be worthwhile to develop new interests or start a debate somewhere! That's a switch in my thinking - for me internet time is anything but active!

140 is such a nice number, isn't it? I was headed for it last year at different times, but life careened into me a little too much. I still believe in the possibility and still have my reminder note on my desk cabinet. Once, since dd was born, I saw 139, when HRH was going to take me with him to the Washington conference and I really tried so hard. I remember I was still disappointed that I had a little "tummy". I know at 130, 13 years ago, I had none... But let's be realistic!!! :lol:

((Harmony)) Oh, now I'm sad for you, thinking of your phrase, "constant companion". Sigh. A couple days ago I was flirting with more AR problems, I could feel it. So I cut down on the artificial sweeteners and coffee that are suggested as help for dealing with Atkins newness. I had begun to lean on them without realizing it. I also cut out the harsh liquid vitamin again and went back to the capsules. After 24 hours had passed with none, I tried a little coffee with the "truvia" at suppertime yesterday and did not have a problem. We'll see. Also, thank you again for your advice about "keeping things moving" because of course, with Atkins, you have GOT to think that way. There is no cereal fiber or fruit fiber so you must be vigilant about getting vegetable fiber through the day.

Last night I finished 7 days of the first, restrictive type of Atkins. The idea is to stick with that for 2 weeks. Last evening I was planning a trip to IHOP this morning, but when the morning came I buckled down and made an omelet with spinich, bell pepper and onion instead. Then had a salad later.

The Valentine's Day Calendar Event Goal is still in my future! Exercise every day!

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:23 pm

Kathryn's January summary and her eating out habits resonated so strongly with me this morning, but I needed to get to work and once there, focus on it, instead of responding.

I'm probably down 2 - 3 pounds for January. I was down .8 pounds today at WW, and that was after eating out for the last three nights. I had salad two of those evenings, and had them put dressing and more fattening ingredients on the side both nights, but I suspect it's hard to lose weight on restaurant salads. On Saturday night, I had a full meal - 6 oz fillet, baked potato and salad, w BD cake and also a few glasses of wine.

I was actually pretty good (like Kathryn) most the week but blew it by eating out so much. Of course, all those were choices - on Friday night dh and I both were tired but felt for our dfriend whose wife is out of town because he wanted to have social time with someone. I'm glad we saw the friends last night because we probably won't see them again until after tax season. And we needed to be at both Sat night events.

I'm impressed that Kathryn is getting on the treadmill, and I've told myself for most of this month that I would get start "tomorrow" morning but I really need some exercise since I'm not working out this year.

Of course, I just ate two slices of pizza and two small slices of cheese bread. OTOH, today was weigh in day.

On to Feb. I don't know if I can lose during tax season but I sure can't gain or I won't have anything at all to wear.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:56 pm

... ...but I sure can't gain or I won't have anything at all to wear. - Twins Mom

Sigh. Are you looking in my closet, Twins Mom? :oops: See, this is one of the problems with being a relatively thrifty and sensible woman with an optimistic nature. You have a full closet, not because you are a spendthrift or clotheshorse, but because you would never just toss out something that has wear left in it. Yet, unless you are vigilant, you can quite literally find yourself with nothing to wear, because being an optimist you make purchases at lower, rather than higher weights (smaller, rather than larger body shapes). Very few women would say, "Well, I'm going to go out and buy a tent today just in case I gain a size." But, yes, we do say, "I'm going to buy this cute little top in several colors, because it looks so good at my new lower weight that it's a value." And then we gain that size. I have the CUTEST clothes. One day I'm going to wear them again, too.

Great job losing the 2 or 3 pound in one month, btw!

Return to “Healthy Habits”