Health and Fitness February 2011

Share healthy living habits.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Health and Fitness February 2011

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:17 am

Struggling with the treadmill today. Alarm went off at 5 but I didn't get out of bed until 5:50. Poor dh was up for 3 hours in the middle of the night so he's tired and I kind of need his motivation to get out of bed.

My body is sore so walking is a chore today. I don't know if it is from lack of sleep or from a long workout yesterday.

After whining, while on the treadmill, in PWYC yesterday about the scales going in the wrong direction, I got on the scale and it was at 170, not the 172/3 it had been the day before. No idea why (Sunday was a higher salt day plus over 2200 calories) but I'll take it. In fact, I had a hard time reading the number - it was clear but because I didn't expect it, I couldn't believe it. It did make it easier to stick faithfully to the program yesterday!

Today is a new week but I need to be very careful because of the flying days. Good low-cal choices will be almost non-existent plus the exhaustion and jetleg will kill any willpower. And you can't exercise while on a plane.

I'm not flying through the US so I can take some cereal and a few protein bars with me so will try and have enough for breakfast. We leave the hotel before the breakfast time starts and the lounge won't be open at the airport until only a few minutes before our flight boards so there will only be a donut shop for our breakfast until we get to Toronto. We have a fairly tight connection there so may not have time for breakfast at the lounge there (breakfast options in the lounge are healthy - cereals, milk, juice, fruit, whole grain toast.)

If there is no turbulence, I'll get a fruit tray on my first flight. The second flight is 15.5 hours so there will be 2 meals and 2 snacks on it but I don't know what they'll be (one snack will cookies and ice cream but I can't remember the rest of the meals.) Flying from India to Germany, (a 10 hour flight leaving at 3 a.m.) the first meal was a steak dinner! So not only is one forced to eat what is offered but the choice may not, in any way, match what your body is expecting. Since I land mid afternoon in Hong Kong, I expect the meals will be two lunch/dinner type meals but it might be a breakfast and a dinner since my flight leaves at 9:30 a.m.

I'm up insanely early this morning to start training my body for the early start times. Tomorrow we have to leave our house at 7:30 for our hair appointments and Thursday we'll be leaving the hotel at 5 a.m. In order to get any exercise in the next two days, getting up early was the best plan.

Lilac

Postby Lilac » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:43 pm

My next dr. appt. is 7 weeks from today. I need to get a tighter rein on my BS plus I have gained 6-10 lbs. since I quit exercising in late Sept. with the bladder issue. The reason I say 6-10 is it keeps bouncing. I need to get it headed down. I am determined to go back with this weight off. Today I started J illian M icheals 30 d ay Shred. It is only 20 minutes but it is a workout. I am going to keep this between my village family and me. I am hoping that by working out I will remember that and try not to overeat and cancel out any progress.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:00 pm

Slight cold has my bs elevated so light meals for me for now.
House work for exercise for this morning.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:46 pm

Hope you feel better soon, Nancy!

Congrats on several pounds lost, Kathryn. That's good news to find out as you close in on the start of your trip.

I don't know that program, Lilac, but she is a tough trainer. Do eat enough to keep your strength up. I hope you have great success.

Both of you have a Calendar Event Goal! (Love those)

I can't seem to see the link Dove posted, but I appreciate hearing about it. Are you and dh having fun with it, Dove?

Today I went back to drawing a simple coloring-book-style picture to then fill in with color as I meet healthy habits. Works great, cute flower image, but dd12 saw it unfinished when she came home from school, so she colored it all in for me. :) Try that again tomorrow, maybe. I got 12 out of 14.

Dove

Postby Dove » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:47 pm

I am loving the new treadmill! :D
Since dh & I put it together I have walked first thing every morning. Today was my challenge -- I was up much too late & had the "idon'twanna"s. Knew deep down that I might not walk at all if I put it off until later in the day, so imitated a nike commercial ;) & told myself, 'Just do it'.

Harriet, that demo link didn't work but I went to the treadmill button at the top of the page & pulled up pictures & features. Here is a new link to those:
http://www.proform.com/webapp/wcs/store ... 509_167553

Pleased that we were able to purchase it at Sam's for $499. instead of the $599. listed on the website.

Right now I am just walking & listening to music or watching TV while walking. Haven't tried reading yet; wanted to make sure I didn't get dizzy just walking since I can't read in a moving car without instantly getting a headache. Thanks again to Indi for the tips -- I drink lots of water before I start, & sip a few times from a bottle during the workout. I also do a full five minute cooldown, & am thankful I have not had any problems with being dizzy.

It is so easy to use, & I especially like the clock feature & the fact that you can adjust your speed in small increments. There are preprogrammed workouts that I haven't played with yet that automatically change the speed & incline settings while you are walking. I may be grabbing those handrails a few times when I try those :).

Nancy & Lilac, I heard some great info on Dr Oz's show recently about helping to control blood sugar with vinegar & looked it up on his website for you:
"Blood sugar rises after we eat. Studies have show that vinegar can inhibit rising blood sugar by about 30%. Have a couple of teaspoons of vinegar twice a day, at both lunch and dinner. Keep a bottle of vinegar on your kitchen table to use as a seasoning. Get into the habit of mixing vinegar with olive oil for a homemade vinaigrette you can enjoy on salads or other veggies."

Kathryn, looking forward to reading about your travel adventures this trip! Had a thought about your not losing weight when you thought you should have -- perhaps it is because you are building muscle with your exercising.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:07 pm

I vacuumed for my exercise yesterday.
Dove I'll take some vinegar.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:25 pm

Healthy fitness wishes to Kathryn as she travels - no backache worries, walking exercise that's fun.

Thanks to Dove for quote! Also for the additional link!

Nancy, I vacuumed so much in one day getting ready for houseguests that I actually had some muscle ache. It is really possible for vacuuming to be a true workout!

By lunchtime today I had had 2 pints of water, a fruit smoothie, later a veggie omelet, and had exercised 20 mins. Lunch was (canned) spinich and crowder peas, plus 2 brazil nuts. So, 5 fruits/veggies as of then. Plus another pint of water. Supper was nothing to brag about - the leftover meatloaf and mashed potatoes, but I'll count it as another veggie. Dessert was a "100-calorie" ice cream-sicle, the only non-God-made food of the day. I'll have another pint of water, and counting the almond milk in the smoothie, I will be very close on that. A little more exercise should be easy to accomplish.

So I believe I will meet the full 14 of my healthy habits today. First time in a while!

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:13 am

Saw a spinning type exercise bike at the thrift shop I've been thinking about getting one.
Today shopping was my exercise.

Return to “Healthy Habits”