Health and Fitness February 2011

Share healthy living habits.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Health and Fitness February 2011

Postby Nancy » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:03 am

Dd is learning how to be a Zumba instructor for the stretchy bands class said it's
harder to be an instructor than she thought it would be.

Great weather here this week for me to be outside walking gardening etc. yea!

I was outside yesterday w/ dgd and then took a walk!

I am back from my walk today [Sat.] it was might blustry out I only did 3/4ths of it but that's better than none.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:12 am

I had gotten in 21 straight days of exercise, and will take HRH out to lunch for Valentine's! Most was the Basic, and 2 days were different kinds of exercise with dd.

Watch out for that wind, Nancy. Hope your dd has a lot of fun with teaching.

Kathryn, that dovetails with my theory about creativity. I know if I am pondering a creative outlet, I don't recognize cravings in the same way.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:20 am

We are due for 6" of snow today starting at noon so I'm on the treadmill. My right hip and ankle were sore at first but have worked out their kinks so I guess I'll go for the hour. It is blustery now but that's not the real snow, that's just flurries we'll get until the real snow starts. It has been an unbelievably snowy, but not accumulating, winter. We had an inch yesterday during our sunny day (squalls came in for several hours.)

Part of the problem is that we are far enough south of the airport (although still part of the city) that our weather is different from what is reported in the city. When we bought out here 20 years ago, we'd drive by the new house before we owned it and it would be raining but it was snowing at home. The weather patterns have shifted and the situation is reversed and our weather seems to come from the south west, not the north west as it used to.

I now have 10 days until my trip and 2 lbs to go in weight loss. It will be tight and makes my goal of 140 by middle of June impossible. On the other hand, since restarting WW I'm losing exactly 1.5 pounds per week, my old average. So my metabolism has only slowed a little (I'm working out longer than I used to so that points to a slowing metabolism.)

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:47 pm

I walked some and did yard work for my exercise yesterday.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:32 pm

Raked the side yard got leaves out of part of one flower bed and de-cluttered some stones
as my exercise today. Yea the sun came out! 8-)

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:22 am

Nancy: I'm envious that you can do yard work for your exercise. It is much more varied in the muscles it uses than the treadmill. Plus fresh air and daylight are so important for moods.

Struggling through the treadmill today.

In a positive visualization move, I've filled in my weight diary for Feb 19 and 23 and March 26. Maybe, having seen my weigh-in results for those days, they will really happen! I think dh thinks I'm insane.

I can't weigh myself on the ship (there used to be scales in the cabin but they don't work well with the ship's movement.) So I'm going to have to faithfully log everything and hope that my body produces predictable results. I know I gain weight when flying (not just bad foods, the dry air makes me retain water and my GI system grinds to a halt) so I won't weigh myself the first morning. Actually, given I get in at 0:00 on the 25th, I guess I should wait until the 27th but I'll be too curious to wait.

OK, it is decision time, Bat out of Hell is the next song so I have to decide if I'll hang on through it (10 minutes) or go straight to cool-down music....

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:12 am

It is snowing out side here this morning. I'm so glad I did yard work when I did. That won't be happening today. We are out of lawn and leaf bags now. It's supposed to be wet here the next
few days.

Dove

Postby Dove » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:01 am

My exercise for today was hauling our new treadmill into the house! The yard is now half snow, half mud, so dh wanted us to walk (carefully!) through the slushy snow. We opened the box & brought it in piece by piece. The main part was sooooo heavy, but we managed it -- even going down the stairs, since it is going to be used in the basement. Saved the $165 delivery & installation charge by doing this ourselves. Tomorrow is a busy day for dh so we will put it together over the weekend.

We decided on the ProForm one, because of the features, the SHE recommendation, & it was also the best price. Dh is tickled that it has a port to plug in your Ipod. I noticed on the box that there is a demo of it at http://www.proform.com/400ct
I'm going to check that out tomorrow -- I have always like visual instructions better than written :) .

Thanks again to everyone for all of your treadmill input!

Kathryn, please pass along a belated thank you to your dhKen -- I remember thanking you for posting the pictures of you on your ski machine, but I forgot to thank him for TAKING the pictures! :)

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:05 am

Dove That treadmill looks great! I like all the 'connections' it has with the outside world so you can easily spice up your workouts. SHEs can be competitive so having a way of marking your progress is great. And we like to shake things up with any routine (that's why we Conga and house-bless) so you aren't likely to get bored with your treadmill.

I'm on mine again this morning. Tomorrow is my day to get on the scale but I got on this morning and found myself up a pound. This is one of those 'unfair' weight increases - I've eaten really low points for 2 days, exercised yesterday and have not had much salt. That kind of weight increase is exactly why one shouldn't get on the scale too often - there are days it can be really discouraging.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:56 am

Got a lovely walk in yesterday afternoon!

Return to “Healthy Habits”