Health and Fitness April, 2011

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Health and Fitness April, 2011

Postby Harriet » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:03 am

Welcome!

This is a thread about gaining and maintaining strength for our wonderful calling, Homemaking. As we care for our own health, we grow more capable and competent to care for our families, our neighbors and our communities. As we become more effective, our hopes for ourselves and those we care about get the best chance!

Last month several of us had new plans on our minds :idea: doctor's orders, shape-up dreams, determination to wrestle those pesky health-marker-numbers into place. How are YOU doing on your plans? Do you need a jump-start?

For some of us, warm weather around the corner means it's time to change the wardrobe :shock: so if this suddenly gives you incentive to spend more time and thought on your fitness, jump in and let us know your hopes. We're going to be your best cheerleaders. *\o/*

Dove

Re: Health and Fitness April, 2011

Postby Dove » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:37 pm

I love the beginning of a new month, that fresh slate feeling. I got the day started off right by walking on the treadmill as soon as I got up & then eating a healthy breakfast. I am sitting here posting while drinking a banana-strawberry smoothie made with yogurt & skim milk. Tasty! :)

My goal for this month is to walk every day. I've not been on the mornings I have outside appointments. So that means if I can't walk first thing I need to do it in the afternoon or evening. Had the idea to walk & watch Dr Oz's show in the afternoons. (I'm sure he would approve ;) ).

I tried this little IFit chip thingy (technical term :) ) today that came with the treadmill. It is an 8 week workout that gets steadily harder, narrated by J illian M ichael(s?). Every minute or so she gives tips, encouragement, or says,"You can go faster than that!" & then the treadmill speed increases. This lady is not fooling around! Only a few minutes into it I was at a 6% incline & jogging! Have to admit I stopped her program after about 10 minutes, & went back to a brisk walk while watching an HGTV program instead. Maybe working that 8 week program can be my goal for next month.

Good thing is my head doesn't touch the low ceiling at the 6% incline. And before any change in speed or incline the machine beeps to warn you so you can grab the bars to steady yourself. One of the things Jillian said early on was, "Are you hating me yet?" & that made me grab for the bars because I burst out laughing! :lol:

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:45 pm

Dove thanks for the reminder about the hills I need to do every so often.
Did get my walk in this evening it was lovely out to see the flowers and trees in bloom
and hearing the birds.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:16 am

Thanks for the reminder of Dr Oz. I saw a show of his (I don't see many) and he had a daily program suggested for everyone. I made some notes - at home - but he was putting them up on his website. Anywway. Some exercise before breaky -a few yoga moves - salute the sun) - was his suggestion, then a few more in evening. racking my memory. Writing letters in evening was suggested, eating breaky, walking? anyway. It was good.

I went to gp/reg doc on Friday-1 April. Papsmear. suggested colonoscopy - I'm to ring for appointment. If IBS confirmed theres a ?FODMAP diet? trying to remember its name. They can test for specific things that irritate.
Urine test.
Breast Clinic is April 18th. I go to a big hosp clinic that puts you thru mamogram, ultrasound, biopsy that day if needed. Costs a heap. :roll: I've already reached a safety net for higher refunds from pdoc bills so theres some help.

Has anyone tried Stontium ?sp? for osteoporosis? She is really keen for me to take it. Its a daily sashet to take in water.
At least my thyroid levels are in a slightly better rang now than previously. My 1/2 eyebrows are growing back.

I bought new leather walking shoes - laceups- in the school shoe section. My old "fly shoes" are worn out in heel /ankle padding so , and sole is worn so need to toss.
Surprisingly comfy for less than $20. Lots of toe room, but my feet don't slip. Cooler than sneekers. and w waterproofing they will keep my feet dry.

I've mostly been doing better diet wise. I am strongly suspecting a bad (emotional/thinking off) reaction to grapes. Yes it tested on allergy tests decades ago, and is a salicylate - also mentioned in that newest diet mentioned, also mostly dipped in sulphates preservatives and foods containing them are mostly on my "no" list. Overall my complince had improved.
Needing to remain vigilent with drinking enough water.

Still mostly making 2 yoga classes a week. Keeping along side dogs/while walking them- is encouraging arm strenghtening and speed. Speed was essential walking dgs's dog today. And my underarm "wing" muscles have been sore of late just from walking mine.

Sleep? Sometimes better, other times not.. ok I ort try for sleep again now.Good night
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

bittersweet

Postby bittersweet » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:42 pm

Here's what I posted for my April goals on one of my Sp*rkPeople teams:

1. Aquasize at least once a week
2. Remember to take ALL my meds EVERY day!
3. Get at least 7 hours of sleep a night
4. Wii workout at least 2X a week
5. Curves at least 2X a week
6. Watch portion sizes, and limit chocolate
7. Lose enough weight to get under 290
8. Blog at least 3X a week
9. Walk the dogs daily (at least 15 minutes)
10. Drink at least 6 - 8 glasses of water a day
"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day of the year." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:31 pm

Todays exercise activities included walking and shopping plus vacuuming upstairs.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:58 pm

groan......I'll be in my swimming suit soon. DH will surely want to go to the beach as soon as the water warms up. :shock:

bittersweet

Postby bittersweet » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:06 am

Beach?? Must be nice...LOL..the lakes are all still frozen here, except for a few small patches of open water. The geese are coming back already, and the poor critters have nowhere to swim or nest yet! :shock:
"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day of the year." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:37 pm

February's goals were met (I'm a bit behind here!)

My goal for March was to not gain weight and ideally but unrealistically, lose 5 more pounds on the cruise. I treated the cruise as a 'fat camp' and did pretty well. I lost some willpower in the second week but settled back into eating sensibly the third week.

The day after getting home I weighed the same as when we left. Two days later (after TOM and letting the dehydration from the plane work out of my system) I was down two pounds. And, as of this morning, I'm down 2 more pounds. So, I've lost 4 pounds since the last week of February, which is pretty amazing.

I weighed myself this morning because I'm on a clear liquid fast today and then prep for tomorrow's colonoscopy. It will be interesting to see how much, if any, I lose with that cleanse, and if I keep any of that weight off.

On the trip I cut out white bread and have kept it out of my diet except for the odd hot dog bun or slice of pizza. I've got used to burgers without a bun. Basically bread of all types is out of my diet but I'm still eating cereal, whole-grain crackers and the odd piece of cake or pastry. I don't know if it is making weight loss easier or not. At first, I just ate way more fruit to make up for the lack of bread (on the cruise I could do that because cut fruit was always around) but now at home I'm eating a bit more protein when I get hungry instead of bread (hummus and veggies, cheese and crackers, cheese on a burger.)

For Lent I've given up caffeinated, carbonated drinks (i.e. diet Pepsi and diet Dr. Pepper.) It has been three weeks and I still miss them a lot. Which I find interesting. I haven't broken down yet and am proud of that. Part of the reason I gave them up was I knew I couldn't have any today and that would be hard so I thought giving them up sooner might make today easier.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:55 pm

Mowing is done that's my exercise for today yea for no wind!

Return to “Healthy Habits”