Health and Fitness, May, 2011

Share healthy living habits.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Health and Fitness, May, 2011

Postby Nancy » Fri May 13, 2011 2:02 am

Today my exercise was in several segments 10 min. walk in the rain with an umbrella,
arm work out later, then a short walk with dgkids to see the baby cows, and then a brisk 20 min walk on the hill after dinner saw seven deer.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue May 17, 2011 1:10 pm

Tracking my healthy habits on a PocketMod paper this week. I can use the page called "Table" for 7 days by just penciling in one more vertical line to make the 6 vertical columns into 7. Also the page called "Food Diary" I can draw a few more vertical lines to make it 7 days across. I just mark out the top headings and consider it days of the week instead.

Today I have been so virtuous. I had beans and soymilk for breakfast. Not so bad - one cup each. I could take my vitamins with that well. I've done Basic workout from T-Tapp and then made vegetable juice of kale, carrot, apple and celery. The beans breakfast was only 17 grams of protein - hard to get more than that with ordinary food. Yesterday, though, I did try that "30 grams" expert's suggestion of whey powder in a shake with milk. With 6 ounces of 2percent milk, that was 31 grams of protein, the first time I've been able to reach his goal. I could also take vitamins with that. When I make juice for breakfast, it's just not substantial enough to take vitamins with it.

But I am determined to get in my veggies/fruits. Did anyone see on Dr. Oz today the doctor/scientist who demonstrated a skin analysis machine that could give an approximate gauge of the amount of antioxidants a person has in their system? Of course, Dr. Oz got a wonderful score, but only a few audience members did. Many audience members got rather poor ones. He showed how the level of antioxidants in your system is the best defense against cancer and that it is directly related to how much colorful vegetables/fruits in the diet. So color on the plate = ability to fight cancer. There was also an explanation of the three types of dietary antioxidants, their usual colors (yellow, green, red/purple) and what each of the three actually does to help. Lots of info. I'm sure it will be in video clip form on the site soon.

Yesterday Dr Oz talked about UTIs and I was saying, "D-Mannose !" and sure enough there it was on his little roll-around table.

Here's the veggie/fruit article by Dr Li, already up on the Oz site. I guess the clips will be up tomorrow. One thing that was explained on the program that's not in the article was exactly WHAT each of the 3 antioxidant types actually does to cancer - the way they work. I've never heard that explained before.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue May 17, 2011 9:29 pm

I've done my walk a brisk one 40 min. today plus an arm work out.

With t-tapp, jazzercise, zumba I would think even if we are not doing it perfectly and moving
one could still get a calorie burn as long as we are moving.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed May 25, 2011 9:24 am

We've had several born here, too - dd loves to see them, so unsteady on their feet, and cute!

I agree about the calorie burn being there even if our form is not perfect. It's true we should try to learn the moves the best we can, but as long as you are not deliberately doing the moves wrong you are not hurting yourself and you will tone up. I saw a couple of silly 20ish girls once on a YouTube video just having a race doing squats as fast as they could, with no trainer or direction at all - they were really just bouncing down fast and wearing out their thigh muscles. Now, that sort of thing is foolish, because you could start an injury and no expert would think it was right. But when you are following along with trainers on well-known videos or in person, you are getting good tips and have someone to watch and learn from. Plus, it is motivating!

Making juice here about 3 times a week. Trying to have salads most days and eat beans a few times a week.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed May 25, 2011 11:03 am

I need to remember to do my arm work out today. Ok I did that!
Did get my walk done today too.

Took a brisk walk with my #2 dgd yesterday we had fun. I realized I'd not taking my walk so I finished the rest after dinner. It was brisk glad I had my jacket on.

Harriet speaking of beans I have them a couple times this week also, dinner was only one serving of fish between us so I added pork n beans and stir fry it was a nice change.
Last edited by Nancy on Thu May 26, 2011 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed May 25, 2011 5:49 pm

My ddad would eat Pork and Beans every day if it were up to him. If I serve something that is not his favorite, he will ask to have Pork and Beans at the next meal, every time! And, since he is now 93+ and still walking a half-mile every day, they must do a body good.

On Dr Oz, he mentioned Roman beans, which is a new one to me, but he says it has something like 3 times the protein of others.

Dd says she wants to do the new videos through the summer and see if she can tone up a little. She is going through hormonal change, of course, at almost 13, and realizing she needs to keep up exercise if she doesn't want to gain inches too fast. It will be so hot outside and insects are already in the way of some outdoor fun, with mosquitoes around the corner, so her bike is not always going to be a good idea this summer. The "dancy" videos are right up her alley. I've just told her no high-impact, no jumping, even if it is on the video - we are in a house, not a concrete-floored gym.

I figure if I can get this quilt project finished and start a video a day, even for just 15 mins, I will look much better at the baby shower for ddil, when I will be seeing all of my late dh's family, some of whom can be competitive and a little judgmental.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun May 29, 2011 9:23 pm

I got my walk in after all today took a nap and when I woke up the sun was out so I even had sun shine on my walk! Yea!!!!

Then thunder and more rain so we are not grilling for dinner glad I remembered to get frozen bean and cheese burritos. I have figured out how to heat beans on the grill in foil! If it ever dries out here.

Return to “Healthy Habits”