Health and Fitness June, 2011

Share healthy living habits.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Health and Fitness June, 2011

Postby Nancy » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:53 am

Mm-m I love those fish sandwiches Harriet!

I did my walk in the morning yesterday, it was like 89* here yesterday so will be doing my walk
again early today.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:36 pm

I've got to start counting my starches again and consciously trying to add vegetables to my day.
I've gained about 10 pounds since last summer. :shock:
It just c..r..e..e..p..s up, you know? A pound this month, two pounds next month, a pound the next... and then * BAM *
10 more pounds.
DH says it is the Paxil, and that he doesn't think he could live with me if I weren't taking it... but it can't be JUST the Paxil. I KNOW I make a lot of foolish choices with foods.
I feel really depressed this morning, but I also feel a little bit more determined to put the brakes on.

So... the last Friday in June: 166 pounds. I will definitely try to have this improved by the last Friday in July.
Tomorrow is another day.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:50 pm

I am counting house work cleaning two houses today plus the camper, and up & down stairs to do laundry for my exercise, helping h. lift the mower in and out of the truck three times. Post camping put away is great exercise. Did manage to get a one mi. in late in the evening it finally cooled off and was lovely.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:28 pm

You can do it, lucylee. Come make a goal in July thread. I know I need to.

Nancy and her chore/exercises for double benefits are a good direction.

I've got to become more active. I reached several life goals recently (like 2 quilts for grandchildren) that didn't require much movement/active-ness, so as gratifying as that is, now I need to MOVE.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I just read this and found it fascinating:

Percent of reduction in heart disease risk for those with high cholesterol :

having optimal thyroid levels - 69 percent
owning a cat - 30 percent
taking a statin drug - 2 percent

the author, Dr. Jacob Teitelbaum, writes:

"If you have a known heart problem, the benefits of these medications go way up. If not, it is OK to ask your doctor if improving diet, avoiding sugar, exercising, eating oily fish (tuna and salmon 3-4x week) and stopping smoking may be more beneficial."

link to article

I just find that eye-opening. Should drs send their patients with high cholesterol to the shelter to adopt some medicine? I mean, I realize there is some over-simplification here, and we've always known that petting an animal reduces blood pressure. But when you look at the numbers, gee. Classic "cholesterol drugs" if you are a heart patient, yes of course. But otherwise, is this wise? My dear aunt took them for 15 straight years without any heart condition at all and never a suggestion from her drs that she didn't "have" to continue them until her death. I have to wonder - in what ways was her health changed and was any of it for the better. Her own personal habit of morning walks probably helped her more. Also Arnold and Norma, her pets, long deceased - sure appreciate them more right now.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:57 am

Chores vacuuming and decluttering moving stuff around upstairs were my exercise yesterday did not get much of a walk in yesterday as dgd was fighting a cold, did get about a block in for a walk but had to come back home as she was just too fussy and I was cold in the evening.

Return to “Healthy Habits”