Health and Fitness June, 2011

Share healthy living habits.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Health and Fitness June, 2011

Postby Nancy » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:50 am

Did my walk last night before dinner.
Had the equivelent to three biscuits :shock: walking after dinner is definitely better on my blood sugar.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:35 am

Mowed the grass then raked the back yard, & did a hike in the field after dinner last night for my exercise yesterday.

Bs was running a bit high.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:29 pm

I posted so far today in the Logs thread. My need is to eat in a way that lets me lose weight but still get in the veggies that keep me feeling well. I can't just eat low calories and necessarily feel good. As I have quoted Harmony before, "keep things moving". That has served me well, also helps keeps the AR away.

1.5 cups Homemade vegetable juice for breakfast, in 2 sittings
.....First day away from the high-protein breakfast in a while, but it's been difficult to get in 5 veggies lately so I changed up today. When I do this, I wait on taking my supplements until lunch, to be sure to take them with fats and also to be sure I have enough on my tummy to keep from upset.
6-inch Subway Veggie Delite flatbread sandwich with avocado for lunch
.....Subways have avocado now for meat sandwiches but when I asked, this one was happy to add a scoop to my veggie sandwich. This adds:

Cal Fat Carb Prot Sodium
45 4g 2g 1g 2mg

according to their info on the net, so this seems a very sensible way to get in some more veggie variety with healthy fat. Don't expect it to be guacamole, of course; it's just the mashed vegetable without salt.

So, probably 3.5 servings of veggies/fruits by 1:00. It will be easy to get enough today.
Protein is way low, but this doesn't bother me, I'll concentrate on that.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:53 am

I've been active getting floors and yard work done for my exercise yesterday.
More tree branches have been pruned back this involved getting out an 8' alum. ladder to reach them. Then picking them up and hauling 'em to the front yard and putting said branches
on the utility trailer.

Dd's place is looking better inside and ours is looking better out side.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:32 am

Got my walk in yesterday morning bs was running high so had to get on it sooner than later! 8-) At least I had great weather!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:06 am

2nd week weigh-in today for me and I can add 1.5 more to my 1.5 previous, so a total of 3 pounds lighter. Still have 11 more days with the goal to lose 2 more. I'm going to focus harder on exercise and maybe even log it for a while, too. So even if the weight loss can't keep up with that, I'll look better with posture and toning.

Nancy, good job on extra housework and yardwork to get double results both exercise and accomplishments.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:48 am

Thanks Harriet!

I got some weeding in after meals its great in addition to the walking I normally do.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:12 pm

Today was, in a way, disastrous healthy-habit-wise, because with only a tiny serving of cereal and milk for breakfast, I spent 4 hours unable to eat anything, trapped in very stressful sardine conditions at the DMV. When I did break free, I had a long drive ahead and had to stop at a drive-through. With HRH on the phone, we decided on fish sandwiches from McDonalds being the lesser of many evils. Later, still coming off the stress, I ate animal crackers, bites of cake, bites of dd's pizza. Sigh. Just nibbling myself into a bad day today.

However, there is a saving grace, because at the DMV I had plenty of time to read half (last half) of Harvey Diamond's book, Fit For Life A New Beginning, and really learned/was reminded of a lot. It is a pep-talk about why we pursue healthy habits, how vital it is, how since 1923 we've had to overcome confusion of well-meaning people and even deliberate misinformation from lobbyists to learn what to do, and also what the payoffs will be if we stay committed to the best for our bodies. Some of it is historically shocking and makes you mad, but it's mostly uplifting.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:57 pm

Got plenty of exercise today unloaded three book cases and a china hutch moved them, mowed, and too a walk. Did okay on food too. Scales this morning was good to me down #5 and am under the obese # so yea for that!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:38 am

Helping HRH figure out lunches on the road, I discovered that McDonalds offers web pages that will self-calculate the nutrition for your custom food choices. For instance at this one for their fish sandwich, HRH can see the exact differences when he takes away tartar sauce or cheese or just one of them. It's still not the healthiest eating, but you have some control.

Return to “Healthy Habits”