Health and Fitness June, 2011

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Health and Fitness June, 2011

Postby Harriet » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:22 am

Welcome!

This is a thread about gaining and maintaining strength for our wonderful calling, Homemaking. As we care for our own health, we grow more capable and competent to care for our families, our neighbors and our communities. As we become more effective, our hopes for ourselves and those we care about get the best chance!

"I love the beginning of a new month, that fresh slate feeling." - Dove

Here are 30 days ahead of us with GREAT EXPECTATIONS! :shock:

What are your expectations for June? What's the focus you will WRITE DOWN?

Baseball Umpire Gene Donahue believes the most important thing is to see your goal in writing, BUT that goes hand in hand with "your follow-through" :) in which every day you look again at your goal and decide on actions. Donahue says:

"Our goals need to be complete and focused, much like a road map. Part of the reason we need to write down and examine our goals is to create a set of instructions for our subconscious mind to carry out. we are giving the subconscious mind a detailed set of instructions to work on. The more information you give it, the more clear the final outcome becomes. The more precise the outcome, the more efficient the subconscious mind can become."

Harriet

Re: Health and Fitness June, 2011

Postby Harriet » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:19 pm

HRH has a verdict on the supplement for ringing in the ears: "It doesn't cure it, but It dulls it some." so he is buying another bottle and says go ahead and give a recommendation. The name is vinpocetine and it was recommended to us by the lady at our local vitamin store. It is an extract of periwinkle seeds with a long history of use in Europe, especially for mountain climbers, and high-altitude hikers. The trials on it suggest that it is helpful for lots of concerns for ears, eyes, brain and circulatory system. Lots of info on the net. It's worth mentioning that his ringing is considered a symptom of his chronic low B vitamin levels, so another idea would be to try a B Complex supplement in case that's the cause.

I have a Calendar Event Goal again.
June 25 is the baby shower for ddil, so I'm going to try calorie counting this month along with my 14 regular healthy habits to try to slim down before that very social day. In 25 days, I don't think 5 pounds down is too much to ask.

I'm using an on-line nutrition counter again and printing every evening whether I like what I did or not. :) I think that qualifies as "follow through" like Mr. Donahue suggests. Just realizing that I have to admit on paper to each thing I eat gives me pause when I consider evening snacks. Right now I have my favorite chewing gum in my mouth (Extra "Dessert") just because I was determined to walk away from other things I would have to go to the trouble of recording. :lol:

Oh, and Stride gum has come out with a Vitamin B6/B12 gum, of all things, 25% daily value. I don't know that it would be any easier to assimilate with a gum than with a pill, but maybe. Anyway, I bought some at CVS for HRH.

If anyone wants to get back to a Food Diary thread here I would participate, btw.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:04 am

I took a mile walk after dinner last night.
Mostly for stress reduction, being cooped up inside with rain and 4 kids plus hubby
had me thinking some one was stomping on my last nerve.
The kids were testy when they picked up grandkids so it was not just me.
Glad I did my walk it helped.
I had ice cream with grand kids at snack time so figured I'd already had enough calories for the
day.
Last edited by Nancy on Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:17 pm

Today I did not have enough veggies, although I did have a serving of mixed beans.

I did Basic workout for 20 mins.

At store I bought kale, bagged salad and green pepper. I like the green pepper in omelets but haven't had the time to fix one in a week or so.

I have had a loss of a couple pounds, but not "counting" it until tomorrow morning's one-week verdict, and thinking today I may have gone slightly backward, what with fatiguing muscles and not enough veggies.

Nancy, when you are feeling cooped up like that it can keep you from making good healthy choices, too. Hope you can all get out of the house in better weather.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:08 am

Well -- I guess I did prove myself wrong.
From yesterday:
I don't feel like I really overate too much today. I had a REALLY big, MAJOR big supper, but other than that, I had my banana & peanut butter crackers for breakfast, and 8 Triscuits w/8 VERY thin slices of turkey & 2 slices of low-fat cheese, one almond crunch granola bar, and 2 bottles of water. Plus waaaay too much diet coke. I may prove myself wrong, but I feel like if I can get away from the constant snacking habit, then I should be able to lose weight -- even if I do indulge a bit at meal times. But as I said, I may prove myself wrong. I know I feel lots better today, though, without the constant afternoon snacking. I didn't eat breakfast until around 11:30, then lunch was around 2:00, and then supper @ 7:00. But I wasn't hungry in between times, which is an improvement around here.
I know this goes in H&F. But no between meal snacks was a major ta-da for me.

By about 11:00, I wanted "dessert" so I had some dry cereal -- cinnamon Cheerios.

And yep... proved myself wrong... weight was up a pound this morning.

But I really, REALLY did overdo it at supper -- even if I hadn't eaten much all day long. I don't even want to get into it... what all I ate @ RL... but it WAS good. * sigh *
Tomorrow is another day.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:42 am

I was thinking how I do not over eat;
breakfast Black coffee Cheerieos with one pat butter fixed like popcorn as we were out of milk.
Lunch one cookie {fun fetti} for lunch plus a scrambled eggs & cheese, {one was an egg beater.} Onions from the garden.
Dinner The new special mushroom & swiss sandwich special on onion bun from Arby's.
Cream cheese 2 oz.
Peanuts one oz. two times, & sun flower seeds one oz. two time.
This might be where I'm getting in to trouble.

Did my walk in the p.m. after dinner it was lovely 71* just a few light sprinkles I had my umbrella with me.

Looked up carbs. for sub way sandwich bun for my meds. 46 so I was good on my guess that is was like the arby's bun I guess about 50 carbs. for those bigger buns.

No that cookie was not one to make you feel full, I was in cookie baking mode for grandkids snacks for this week so I had one for my carbs. for lunch.
Last edited by Nancy on Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:57 am

Nancy, that doesn't sound like you are over-eating AT ALL. Oh. My. Goodness. If you could see what I ate last night. You'd wonder why I'm not already a candidate for stomach surgery.
Has anyone here had that? It seems so awful to have to eat baby food and stuff like that for so long afterwards.

BTW -- what kind of cookie did you eat? Is it one of those that is supposed to make you feel full?
Tomorrow is another day.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:17 pm

lucylee, some cookie bars I ate last month were supposed to make you feel full and I talked about them here. btw, I didn't think they were much help with appetite. Twins Dad had weight loss surgery a few years ago, very successful I think, and he continues commitment to exercise to stay fit. I have quit most deli meats after watching Dr Oz program with former Sur.Gen. of the US on the dangers of the ingredient, sodium nitrites. I can find both turkey and ham in various varieties in Hormel Natural at several groceries here, though, and they also make chicken chunks ready for recipes. They are the ones in brown cardboard boxes.

Today for me breakfast and snack were good and lunch was haywire; out running errands and hungry, which is a bad combination. For supper I will have a salad with my new ginger dressing HRH found. If I'm still hungry I'll have beans/spinich/slaw, a healthy meal I like and can have fixed in jig time.

breakfast - protein powder shake using my soymilk and 1 tsp flaxseed oil (Dr. Oz concept)
lunch - McDonalds small cheeseburger and small coke with a hot fudge sundae
snack - kale/carrot/apple/celery juice in 2 sittings - 1.5 cups

Today was weigh-in after one June week. Have lost 1.5 pounds. 18 days to go to Calendar Event.

OKay

Postby OKay » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:17 am

Coming out of H&F lurking mode.....

If anyone wants to get back to a Food Diary thread here I would participate, btw.

I would too. I hesitate to commit to it, but I KNOW I need the accountability, consistence and inspiration that comes from participating.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:04 am

I walked the hill yesterday evening it helped to get bs back down after I miss calculated at the school B.B.Q. in the morning and over corrected for a mid. morning low. Breakfast cereal and creamer in my coffee nuts, one chocolate peanuts a cookie, Sigh Lunch the bun was bigger than the ones we have here at home duh! No info. on the sm. ice cream / orange shurbert sp? cup, watermelon mystery amount of carbs. Oh well I lived! LOL! :mrgreen:
Dinner a salad and turkey bacon.

Return to “Healthy Habits”