Health and Fitness, July 2008

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Health and Fitness, July 2008

Postby Harriet » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:39 pm

Inspiration comes to us this time in the form of the calendar! It is the half-point of 2008. We are 6 months in with equal time to go, and it’s a great time to take a step back and consider “where we are”. :idea:

Do you deserve a pat on the back 8) for healthful eating, for increasing activity, for getting back to postponed check-ups, for meeting goals or other positive strides since 2007? Maybe there was a specific resolution you can now revisit, or some personal success you’d like to let us know about.

Would you like to share either plans for consistency over the next 6 months, or goals to meet by 2009? We’re truly interested.

Take a glance back at June’s thread, too, to make sure you didn't miss anything – a lot to be learned from the news and views there!

Harriet

July 7th posts from previous board

Postby Harriet » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:58 pm

By lucylee
July 7
Well all right... I'll show my face and let y'all see the ugly truth...

Jan. 2 -- 156.5 -- exercised 18 days
Feb. 1 -- 156 -- exercised 7 days
Mar. 1 -- 155 - exercised 14 days
Apr. 1 -- 155 --exercised :oops: 10 days
May 1 -- 153.5 -- exercised :shock: 6 days
June 1 - 155 -- exercised 10 days * improvement, but need to do MUCH, MUCH better
July 1 - 154
-- July 7 - 156
-- I HAVE had some 153, 154 days in July. Just keeps bouncing around... up and down, up and down.

by Harriet
July 7
Okay, Here’s Where I Am
Some inspiration wafted my way lately from PWYC and Health and Fitness chats about fitness successes and disappointments.

So thank you, everyone, for all the frank discussion. It certainly reminded me to reassess.

Just to remember and catch up - I have a document in Word that I named, “Diary of my posts from She’s Organized boards, of one-year fitness recommitment at age 50, May 06 to May 07”. I can’t tell you all how much good it does me to have gleaned and saved it for reference. Being able to chat here back then was my saving grace.

April 6, 2006, when I was 49 and 10 ½ months old, I told my H and F friends I was in the throes of an Attitude Adjustment! Lots of eldercare w/hospitalizations had sent me into what I then called a “52-card pickup” of health habits and I was facing age 50 needing control! You all had to listen to me :roll: as I told about using April to build up to full workouts, and on May 1 began the daily “bootcamp” that’s recommended as a first step for the exercise videos I like to use. Mid May I went to every other day, then beginning on my birthday at end of month, started a flat 2.5 hours of exercise per week FOR ONE FULL YEAR. Lots of good health markers came from that by my 51st birthday in ‘07, but the most fun to measure was the 5 inches off my waist. That was cool.

Even afterward, checking my record keeping, I stayed at 2 hours per week for maintenance and kept it up until this past Sept. Things started slipping pre-holiday, but I pulled them back up reasonably by New Year’s Day, though still not where I had been. Then in February my mom got super sick, hospitalization, home health workers all the time, stress, stress, stress for months. There was still more slippage, but I hung on much better than I had in 2005-06.

As of now - Not surprisingly, my weight and measurements are up somewhat after a stressful spring. But I feel upbeat about it since I’ve recently gotten back to more workouts and think maybe the trend is already turning back to the positive. I need to admit there were a few months in which I just couldn’t keep up with maintenance, so now I need to step up the pace again

I’ve recently been able to pull myself back up to workouts 2 hours per week, a schedule at which I should maintain, or perhaps make progress.

I’ve always believed we are inspired by Calendar Event Goals. There's nothing too special on my horizon (maybe others here have plenty?), but I do have that “family reunion” thing 5 weeks away. I'll say I’d like to see 5 pounds gone by then. That will be something to chase!

But the goal I REALLY want to set
is to go back to 2 ½ hours of workouts per week. That’s the fitness level I kept up for the year after my 50th, it was about health more than just weight loss, and it was quite good for me. I have a greater assortment of workouts to choose from now, since some DVDs were my rewards to myself as I met goals then. I could choose 3 days a week at 50 mins each sometimes, or 30 mins each for 5 days a week other times.

By Harriet

lucylee, aren't you omitting that you are able to walk much farther now than at the first of the year? I think I remember one four-mile day, right?

by lucylee

Harriet -- you are sooo great! You always help me look at the silver lining instead of the clouds! Yes -- I did walk 4 miles one day. (I am NOT saying I enjoyed it, that's for sure!)
Today, I walked only 1.2 miles.

I guess I should reassess goals... I'm a long, L...O...N...G... way from 2 hours a week, like you, but I COULD commit to getting back to doing SOMETHING everyday, couldn't I? We will not be traveling again for several weeks. So... for the rest of July, I will strive to do at least 15 minutes per day.

By Sadie
July 7

At the halfway mark of this year, I have lost a total of 46 pounds.

Have deviated from my eating plan a bit for birthday and holiday.

Got to get back on the plan.

Need to get back to exercising !

Even 15 minutes a day would be good. Did pick up a new pedometer. Just have to remember to wear it.

Harriet, it was encouraging to read your account.

Need to get organized better.

Twins' Mom

Re: Health and Fitness, July 2008

Postby Twins' Mom » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:58 pm

Sadie - 46 pounds! That is so wonderful! Congrats to you.

I don't think I had gotten over here at all in July...have continued my three day a week workouts w trainer and worked up to walking 30 minutes on the treadmill there usually, at somewhere between 3.2 and 3.8 mph each time. I'm struggling with hip bursitis still to the point my hips ached last week doing squats and going up and down stairs. I've added some ibuprofen for the anti-inflammatory properties and want to try to hold steady on walking/workouts if possible.

Weight down 2 more pounds this week (in spite of my transgressions) for a total of 13 pounds since starting this on June 2. I can tell a difference in my mid-section and in the way my pants fit around the waist, and last Friday night at temple was told (pointedly) that the casual skirt I was wearing was "too big."
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

SuzLew

Postby SuzLew » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:13 pm

I have hit my all time high of morbid obesity!!! :oops: So 2 days ago joined WW online and will weigh in first week on Tuesday! Having trouble with exercise because Parkinson tremor worse and arthritis joints make me want to "sit"! Will try slow treadmill today but holding my own on point tracking!

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:42 am

Jan. 2 -- 156.5 -- exercised 18 days
Feb. 1 -- 156 -- exercised 7 days
Mar. 1 -- 155 - exercised 14 days
Apr. 1 -- 155 --exercised :oops: 10 days
May 1 -- 153.5 -- exercised :shock: 6 days
June 1 - 155 -- exercised 10 days * improvement, but need to do MUCH, MUCH better
July 1 - 154
* July 7 - 156
* July 14 - 159

This is really getting out of hand. NO MORE DESSERTS. I'm pretty sure that is a HUGE part of this problem. DH had been sooo careful w/himself before his doctor visit last month, and then afterwards, his relief resulted in a lot of freedom for himself, and I followed suit, unfortunately. He is STILL much overweight, no doubt about that, but he doesn't obsess about it like I do. A few years ago he lost a lot of weight and it did NOT affect his blood pressure as he had hoped, so he sorta said "to heck with it" and decided to eat what he wanted. Every year, before his annual check up, he tries to make sure he is back down to whatever he weighed the year before, but otherwise, I don't think he even thinks about his weight.
OTOH... if I go above this 159 boundary, I don't know if I will ever be able to get myself in control.
So... NO MORE DESSERTS for the time being. And I WILL continue to walk or exercise. I skipped a couple days last week, but I'm improving, slowly. I think I've got 6 days this week already, which is better than May's total.

Wanted to give Suz a big cheer, too, for joining WW. I just don't feel ready to make the $ commitment right now, b/c I know I'm not good about staying with ANY diet very well anyway, but I know soooo many people who have had such tremendous results with WW.
IKWYM -- I posted in PWYC about this being my all time high point and I am very concerned, so I'm right in here with you. WE CAN DO IT!
I also wanted to give you a big (((hug))) too, b/c I know the Parkinson's gives you an extra mountain to climb. (My late dgf had Parkinson's.)
Tomorrow is another day.

Dove

Postby Dove » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:34 pm

I've been meaning to post here since the old board went down to tell you how inspired I've been by all your posts. Harriet, your mention of July 1st being the half-year mark really spurred me into action! I went for a walk the next morning, and also went to Curves the next day to check things out. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the last two years; I am also trying to commit to regular workouts (mostly walking)for all the good health benefits that brings.

Wanted to thank Helia again for her thoughts on Curves in a previous post, especially about the noise level being rather loud. There was no music on when I went in as no one was working out, so I made it a point to ask about it. Woman showing me around turned on what had been playing earlier and -- oh my. Very, very loud. Someone came in & started working out while we were in the front discussing financials, & when I left there I was getting a headache, so decided not to join. I would never have thought to ask about that if you hadn't mentioned it. They close for two hours at lunchtime at this location, too, and I found out why.She said all the franchises do because they were originally set up so that a husband & wife could own & run them yet still be able to take a lunch break together.

CONGRATULATIONS to Sadie on your weight loss! :D That's terrific!

And Twins, CONGRATULATIONS on your weight loss! :D Wonderful! I have been cheering you on from here as you post about your workouts. You have been inspiring me. Hope your hips are feeling better.

Lucylee, hang in there! You are making the effort, & that is what counts. Do you realize that the days of exercise you posted from Jan - June add up to 65? That's over two solid months of exercise! That's great!

((Suzlew)), you can do it! We're all pulling for you. You have taken a positive step by joining WW & exercising gently as you are able. My brother joined WW a few months ago & loved how easy their point system is to follow. He lost several pounds so far which is encouraging him to stick with it. He kept saying this weekend that he notices how much better he feels when he eats healthy.

Keep up the good work, everybody! :)

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:09 pm

Dove... thanks for the encouragement.
I made the effort for about 8 hours. :oops:
I did walk 2 miles, and ran a couple of 1/2 laps, you could say, trying to keep up w/ds.

Eating today...
I was out of cereal, so breakfast was --
peanut butter & crackers, banana

Then between 3:00 and 5:30, I ate --
a few grapes
an apple
12 wheat crackers (the kind you see on salad bars)
1 almond-crunch granola bar

Supper --
2 pieces Captain D's fish (yes, fried, of course) :oops:
1/2 order of spicy popcorn shrimp w/spicy sauce :oops: (I think this is new on their menu & it is VERY good.)
a few (very few) French fries
and
a slice of Hershey's cream pie :oops:

I will NOT eat anything else tonight, though -- I PROMISE!

Also -- I meant to tell y'all -- the other day, when I said I ate the hamburger patties from FIVE Krystal hamburgers -- just in case anyone doesn't know -- a Krystal hamburger patty is about the size of your palm, square, and about as thick as a sheet of paper. If you aren't familiar w/Krystal's, they compare very much to White Castle. I could NEVER eat five regular hamburger patties!
Tomorrow is another day.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:26 am

Lucylee...I know what a Krystal is! I have a special weakness for the Krystal at the foot of my mountain. :lol: You probably don't want to know that a Krystal is 4 WW points - that is, including the bun. I didn't find a nutritional value w/o the bun.

I'm staying "on program" today after overeating on Friday and Saturday and yesterday to some extent. Friday we had chinese food w dfriends, then Saturday had spannikopita at another dfriend's, and I had Chinese leftovers yesterday. :roll: I wish I could train dh not to bring food home....he wanted to pack up the Chinese leftovers and on Saturday p.m. dfriend gave him a "to-go" large order of the spanikopita, neither of which he will likely touch because he doesn't care for leftovers. :roll: I think it's probably his depression era Mom that makes him not able to throw things out but I'd prefer to not to be tempted in the first place. (Not that I'm blaming my overeating on him, but I do better w/o the temptation.)

Breakfast today was a boiled egg, greek yogurt (which isn't oversweeted like most yogurt) a slice of whole wheat bread and cantaloupe, for a total of six points.

Oh, and Dove - thanks for the congrats! I'm almost feeling svelte, altho I'm a long way from actually being svelte. :D
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:42 pm

I knew you'd recognize the Krystals, Twins! :) I wonder if they are nationwide or just a Southern thing?
Also -- how many WW points would a regular (small, kid's size) hamburger at McDonald's or Burger King be? Surely they would be more than Krystal? Or maybe not at Burger King, since they are flame-broiled?

Well... y'all can just imagine how far I'm getting at this no dessert thing. :oops:
I am doing better at no snacking, however, and (IMHO) making slightly better choices. Today I had 1 cookie following my lunch of a bar-be-que sandwich (just pork, slaw -- the vinegar-type, not the mayo-type) small portion of baked beans, small bag of baked potato chips.
For supper, I had chicken fingers & French fries and I ate a 180 calorie candy bar afterwards. Compared to dh & ds's milkshakes, I thought that was somewhat more sensible.
I know... there's not much fruit or vegetables on there, is there?
I did eat a bunch of grapes earlier this afternoon, and had cereal & banana for breakfast.
Drank one bottle of water, nothing else to drink today except diet coke.

AND... * amazingly * -- dmil said I was LOSING weight today. :shock: Which is FAR from the truth, according to the scales, but MAYBE, the walking IS doing some good. My pants don't fit as tightly as I would expect, considering the reading on the scales. I'll try to hang in here a while and see what happens.
Tomorrow is another day.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:59 pm

Here is my challenge - exercise early enough in the day. Over and over, "fires" start and I have to put exercise off to tend to them, then it never gets done. By the time I can get to it, other things have taken over the house spaces, even if just dh home and underfoot, or a favorite program playing that the family hopes I'll watch with them, etc.

I can't exercise TOO early because I'll be a little stiff, and the very first part of the workouts I like to do (lucylee knows this already) is a significant multi-part stretch of the back that takes 3 minutes. If I attempt it when I'm not limber, I get the definite feeling it's not as valuable, plus that I could tug a muscle uncomfortably.

I don't know - an every-day alarm set at 10:00 a.m.? LOL.

Maybe just an absolute placement of exercise after Morning Dailies. We'll see.

Nice to hear lucylee and Twins Mom are slimming. Wise of Dove to keep her options open. Great good luck on WW points tracking, SuzLew.

Sadie, if you are doing this well and don't yet believe you are well organized, what WILL you accomplish organized! Great job.

If you don't believe in miracles, you're not being realistic.

Return to “Healthy Habits”