Health and Fitness, July 2008

Share healthy living habits.
lucylee

Re: Health and Fitness, July 2008

Postby lucylee » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:29 am

I am NOT convinced I am slimming, Harriet. Dmil's eyesight may be failing. ;) But I know she thinks I am slimming b/c she is NOT one to give false praise. * I was wearing black pants today, btw.

I definitely KWYM re:
Here is my challenge - exercise early enough in the day. Over and over, "fires" start and I have to put exercise off to tend to them, then it never gets done. By the time I can get to it, other things have taken over the house spaces, even if just dh home and underfoot, or a favorite program playing that the family hopes I'll watch with them, etc.

There are just NOT enough hours in the day, are there?
Tomorrow is another day.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:08 am

Harriet, I'm enjoying having an 8 a.m. workout appointment to keep. I had originally wanted mid-morning or so, but this gets me up and out of the house early and gets it done. I walked 30 minutes and did the 30 minute workout this morning.

Lucylee, you can find nutrition info online for many fast food places by googling, for instance, burger king nutrition. I think the whopper junior without mayo is one of the best nutritional bets with six WW points and at least includes lettuce and tomato. The McD's small burger is 5 points but it's only meat and bun. The little McD "snack" chicken/ranch wrap is 6 points, I think.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:21 pm

I have managed to stay "on program" i.e. WW points for two days now. In theory I still have some of the 35 discretionary points for the week left, but since I weigh in on Friday I'm trying to keep to the lower side of the range.

Last Friday evening I had 19.5 points for dinner - almost enough for a whole day - and Saturday p.m. (when dfriend made spannikopita) I had 23 points - enough for the day at that one meal.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:25 am

Lost only 1/4 pound this week....still down 13 from starting point.

Very weird workout - hips are aching from bursitis so trainer suggested we lay off of squats for awhile - I got in 12 and hips were hurting. Then was doing pullovers and got a pop in my shoulder - not painful just a weird pop - and I ended up going way, way down on the weight so I could at least work through the range of motion w/o the pop...will wait to see if there's soreness.

Did not feel like a very satisfying workout; I only did 20 minutes on the treadmill trying to give hip joints a break. Also have a weird pain in the top of right foot - I don't feel it while treadmill walking or with walking shoes on, only in flip flops or barefooted. Going on two weeks now and it's a little worse, not getting better.

Oy vey. I'm falling apart.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:35 pm

Well, no, you're not falling apart, Twins! Thankfully you have a trainer at your disposal to talk these things out. Wonder if there is something you can do for the bursitis nutritionally. I know fish oil is recommended for arthritis sometimes, that sort of thing. Maybe not a surprise to go through a week at a weight-loss "plateau". Probably normal. You are still golden at 13. 8-)

I'm holding the line. Wish I was more interesting than that!

I may be turning against S_bWay. My body still reacts to all the white flour, no matter the additional fresh veggies and posters of handsome, healthy Jared. It's not going to put "weight" on, but it still puts "water retention" on and I might have felt better with a small take-out fish/chicken sandwich or burger that didn't have such a large portion of bread. Dstepson brought me a McD's fish and a sm drink the day of the funeral because he didn't know what to get me, and to tell you the truth I felt better in the hours after that than after SubW_y! Just need to remember to add veggies/fruits in at another time of day. I ask for the oat bread but it doesn't help. I appreciate the availability of C_ke Zero there, but I don't want too much of the artificial sweetener, either.
If you don't believe in miracles, you're not being realistic.

sherinjoy

Postby sherinjoy » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:10 pm

I had a bond density scan today. I had one when I was 45yr., and now I am almost 53yr., so 8 years apart. It will be interesting to see if any changes. The density was normal at 45yr. My doctor ordered it because I have lost a little height, and I am classic body type for osteo (bone weakening). I was adopted at birth, and have no medical history from family-of-origin, so these tests are always interesting for doctor, because there is no family history to go by. The results won't be available for a 1 1/2 weeks.

trish

Postby trish » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Twins, I hope you are feeling better. Sometimes it is good to take a week off and let the body rest from a rigerous workout.
My weight is still up from breast augmentation surgery 3 weeks ago. Well, from surgery and from eating and not working out. I hope to get permission to start working out this week. Weighed in at 154 last Wednesday. I was 145 before surgery. I can see the abs are getting flabby compared to how they looked 3 weeks ago.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:51 pm

trish, how good to see you posting.! Was looking around for you! Hope you heal fast and get back into your routine.

sherinjoy, good job on proactive test for bone density.
If you don't believe in miracles, you're not being realistic.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:18 pm

Jan. 2 -- 156.5 -- exercised 18 days
Feb. 1 -- 156 -- exercised 7 days
Mar. 1 -- 155 - exercised 14 days
Apr. 1 -- 155 --exercised :oops: 10 days
May 1 -- 153.5 -- exercised :shock: 6 days
June 1 - 155 -- exercised 10 days * improvement, but need to do MUCH, MUCH better
July 1 -- 154
* July 7 -- 156
* July 14 - 159
* July 21 - 157

I'm glad I am posting here, b/c I was really disgusted w/that 157... thinking about the 154 on July 1... but then when I started posting, I saw that last week was 2 pounds worse! So... progress, I guess... slow... slow... slow progress... but at least the number went DOWN instead of UP.
Plus, I've already passed the exercise days number for June, and I have a week to go!

Long-procrastinated appt w/doctor (my "new" family doctor) tomorrow. Ugh. I'm a little nervous about that.

Good to see trish! I know you'll be doing great again as soon as your body takes time to heal! Be patient! (((HUGS)))
Good to see sherinjoy, too... hope you get good test results!
Interested to see what trainer says, Twins... You are doing GREAT, btw! I am so impressed!
Holding the line is MUCH better than letting it go, Harriet! I was wondering about the wheat bread at S___. Interesting that it is no better for you. Hmmmm...

Going out to walk w/ds. It's much too hot, but maybe I can sweat off a little extra... ;)
Tomorrow is another day.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:01 pm

Good afternoon! I worked out this morning - had a good workout - but felt the pullover in my shoulder again. I'm thinking it's a range of motion issue because the shoulder didn't pop if I kept the elbow straight and didn't go for an extended range of motion over my head. (Pullover is done lying flat on back on the bench and lowering the weight above the head and stretching. Hips still aching but I did 30 minutes on the treadmill nonetheless w/o trying to go any faster. Taking Aleve for the hip pain.

Did you know a cosmopolitan drink is 4 WW points per drink? (I had two with our early dinner on Saturday! :o )

Return to “Healthy Habits”