Health and Fitness, July, 2011

Share healthy living habits.
OKay

Re: Health and Fitness, July, 2011

Postby OKay » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:39 am

Truly not trying to be a bad influence, but I am giving up Diet drinks and switching to my new favorite drink - iced coffee!!

I sip it with a straw and always try to have a big drink of water afterwards to "rinse my teeth" to keep the stains away (as much as possible).

MMMmmmmhhhh - coffee hot or cold is my new drink of choice (after water of course!!)

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:35 am

Bad influence? Well, there is a lot of good news about coffee, too. Supposed to be protective against Alzheimer's and Parkinson's. (Caffeine in sodas or chocolate isn't, so it's something else in the coffee.) And it may have protective effects against type 2 diabetes.

I am torn, because, yes, these would be really good things. But coffee is so bad for acid reflux I fear I personally couldn't handle it anyway. My doctor says he clearly feels it when coffee aggravates his acid reflux. Whether it's worse than sodas for acid reflux, though, I don't know, and I've kept them up. :oops: Yesterday when Dr Oz was discussing sodas, he asked what the audience thought they were doing to the delicate lining of esophagus and stomach - obviously he thought they were up to no good, lol. I do know that diet sodas are worse for acid reflux than regular ones. btw, Dr. Oz drinks coffee (not with sweetened condensed milk like the lady with the recipe! LOL ).

I was told in 1989 by my gynocologist that I needed to stay away from coffee if I was going to try to avoid the breast pain I had complained to her about. Well, it's a long time since 1989 in my body ;) and I don't have the same hormonal swings any more, so that may not be an important consideration for me now. Younger women might want to be aware of it.

Her website is pleasant, I've enjoyed it before.

I used to use cheesecloth to strain almond milk, back when the only way to get it was to make it yourself. Frankly, I am very glad it is in the groceries now!

OKay

Postby OKay » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:18 pm

I've learned through trial & error which food/drinks set off my acid reflux. I learned I can drink coffee as long as I put milk in it. However I admit to being SHOCKED that the worst offender was my drink-all-day-long-dearly-beloved tea (unsweetened). I gave it up and switched to just water with one Diet drink a day. But then I discovered that I was hitting a "wall" in the afternoon/early evening where I didn't have ANY energy. That daily slump went away when I stopped drinking my beloved Diet drink. However that left me feeling deprived so I went looking for something that fit my requirements and wasn't tooo unhealthy. I modified the Iced Coffee so it is low carb (using stevia for sweetener). I use 2% milk in it instead of the other suggestions (half-n-half, heavy cream and/or condensed milk).

I'm glad to hear the coffee has some health benefits!

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:01 pm

I'll chime in and say that I love iced coffee in the summer. I use skim milk and half a pack of splenda or 1/2 of one of those portion control nondairy creamers. Yummy! You can also "cold brew" it (google the recipe) and it has a smoother taste.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:26 am

Got my walk done yesterday afternoon.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:53 pm

Great news! Hubby's bp is low enough that he is going off the meds. for it! Yea! :mrgreen:
Glad he's been checking it when he can down town.

I got a walk in this morning, mowing is done glad that's out of the way yard looks better too!
Last edited by Nancy on Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:40 pm

Oh, Nancy, that is good news! Big Congrats to him for getting it controlled w/o meds!
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:41 am

Lilac the doc. said not to be surprised if my bs was up to 250 after meals that happens to everyone. I'm watching a u-tube spot about Am. Idol's Crystal Bowersox she has type 1.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wxMpbcIUeI&feature=player_embedded

Return to “Healthy Habits”