Health and Fitness, July, 2011

Share healthy living habits.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Health and Fitness, July, 2011

Postby Nancy » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:50 pm

I have done 3 mi. { ten min. } on my exercise bike, h. lowered the seat on it for me too.
This is good exercise for my heart!

Breakfast
granola, bar v-8, coffee w/ creamer, tea

Lunch
1 oz. corn chips organic
sausage dog 2 eggs & cheese
5 m&m's and one chocolate kiss.
Prune
Tea

Dinner
Chicken carrots & ice cream

I got more time in on the ex. Bike ~
I did two more miles and five total today on the ex. bike.
Plus I took a stroll around the block pushing dgd in the stroller.
{It is supposed to be 95* here tomorrow.}

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:37 am

Harriet - keep calcium away from thyroid meds too.
I've been reducing my thyroid (T3)meds. I have eyebrows again. My tsh is back where its better.
Lilac - I was surprised / annoyed when I learned about the 1 hr before / 3?hrs after food too. Possibly coming off my psych meds might have helped thyroid too.

Harriet - yoga teachers often mention how stances need to be to avoid knee damage
(in lunges - front knee never past vertical - so you can see big toe.
I need to keep stats on meeting targets too. I have a grid book I keep tabs in.

Today I got some yoga exercises that will help my back and abs. without straining my neck. Many thanks to the teacher. I asked her yesterday if there was any alternates.

(one for me - lie on back. hug knees to chest then lift legs straight up - feet flexed (as standing) ; put thumb webbing of hands under buttocks, lumbar is in contact with floor, begin to lower legs = keep them straight and try to keep lumbar on floor; as soon as lumbar lifts bend legs and bring knees forward then lift legs again. repeat. etc ..(Creates "fire in the belly")
hope I've explained that ok.
I've been walking twice a day. Shorter walks though. Yoga twice a day as well is suggested. Need to do some "circles of light" for my shoulders
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:41 am

Yesterday I managed a walk as well as staying "on program" with WW points. Tonight I have the yoga class - last week I was sore the day after the class and that made walking around the UT campus harder than it should have been.

I have a dr appointment next week.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:46 am

Twins Mom, I hope you have as much enjoyment from yoga as Lynlee does. I think she is starting to get into some impressive poses now. There was a newspaper article here about the resurgence of yoga here and how the classes are just filling up with people who love it. Great job of WW.

That is so interesting to learn they didn't put the iron/thyroid info on prescriptions until 8 years ago, Lilac. I wouldn't have known, either, except I had been surprised my bottle didn't say what my dmom's used to about waiting 1/2 hour before a meal. After her radiation her dr started her on synthroid and the pharmacist and dr both cautioned me about giving the med, then waiting one-half-hour, then giving breakfast (you may remember she was getting part of diet through a feeding tube). The pharmacist had printed it on her bottle. He was insistent not even juice with the pill. So I remembered that and looked on the bottle when mine was first prescribed. It wasn't there, so I was surprised and kept reading, and it was on the literature stapled to the bag, and there, for the first time, I also read the info about iron and multivitamins kept several hours away from thyroid meds. It was kind of upsetting, because, of course back when my dmother was taking it she was getting lots of iron in the prepared liquid meals just one-half-hour after the synthroid. I guess there was nothing to be done about it so no one mentioned it. Sigh!

So I do always put my multi-vitamin off until afternoon. This is the first time in my life doctors are watching to see if I lose weight. :shock: It is a little weird! My tsh is okay now, but they believe the weight should become easy to lose and energy go up when everything is really all right, so they've increased from 30 to 60 mg tentatively. I guess hurting my back at this particular time was not in the plan! LOL

Lynlee, I am so happy for you about your eyebrows. Definitely something is going right inside, now. Yes, I'm used to a lot of direction during exercise, too, and in fact I've chatted here about Teresa Tapp even reassuring on her videos sometimes that, not to worry, she won't use any music so you can hear her constant form reminders, over and over. :) Zumba is a lot of fun and I had no problem with it until the abs one. But there's a lot of very fast jerking of the knees upward, usually twisting. It's the speed of Zumba at that point, that I think is the problem. The same motions done with specific slow attention probably wouldn't have bothered me. Or on the floor with constant reminders to keep back flat to the floor as T-Tapp says.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:53 am

Twins - just do the yoga you can manage. stop a pose early if you need to.
When I started my shoulders used to ache for a week after, then I realised and didn't push myself so much. I do chose more gentle yoga.

Harriet = I don't believe pumping and twisting is good for many people - the unfit or injured.

I'm on a declutter/ ummm/ stashathon atm. need to get back to it. yep my workout for today (and walking as I can)
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:17 am

Today's exercise will include cleaning x, ex. bike 2 mi, and some walking just to the corner.
My foot is getting better yea!

Bs was great after cleaning today yea!

Breakfast;
granola bar 1 gram fiber
coffee black.

Lunch:
sausage dog & grapes.

Dinner:
Salad
egg & sausage & cheese
orange flavored surbert sp? {ice cream}

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:38 pm

Fri.
exercise
loading and unloading car 1/2 mi. walk ex. bike

Breakfast:
granola bar

Lunch:
bacon burger & kiddie size frosty

Dinner: :idea:
Mexican food maybe one of our favs. is right across the st. :mrgreen:

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:22 pm

Miss South Carolina was crowned the other day. So what? Well, 3 years ago, she weighed 230 pounds...wow, very inspiring. "I just educated myself..." and stopped eating "junk", she says.

Miss South Carolina 2011 inspires as a symbol of nation's fight with obesity

video interview from her home, and article about her habits, etc

She will be on The Today Show and Good Morning America on Monday, so ya heard it here first!
Ha, ha, her father says: "She doesn't just have a platform, she IS the platform."

OKay

Postby OKay » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:27 am

I enjoy reading your posts and valuable information.

I am doing cartwheels because today I hit a 10 lb weight loss milestone. I started watching/recording what I ate on June 11th and about one month later......TA-DA!! :)

My new goals -
** lose next 10 lbs by Aug 11th
** walk daily

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:01 am

Happy for you, OKay! You had an eventful June, but you got back on track. You and Nancy both have those trends going.

Nancy is doing such a good job reporting and I fell by the wayside, didn't I?

Well, this morning, dd12 and I got out and walked a brisk mile. There is no way to minimize the incredible truth of this humidity, even at 8:00 a.m. It was already 79 degrees and the humidity was as though you had just stepped out of a shower and barely dried off. We tried to be very quiet so Sammie wouldn't know and feel obligated to come along, but she was on to us. Poor thing. I can't imagine facing this weather in a heavy coat. One interesting moment was coming home and passing under the trees on our driveway, because the temperatures obviously decreased in "shade" and felt much better, so it was amazing to look at my watch and realize the sun was affecting everything that early. We talked about trying it at 7:00 next time, if that would help much. As we walked back into the house, it was like entering another world.

Last evening we had Greek take-out for supper which is unusual for us. The salad was healthy, the meat lean but the pita bread was SO GOOD. I'm sure that's not the best, but I didn't gain on the scale this a.m., which would be a given if it had been either Oriental or Italian.

Let's see, before that a frozen raspberry/protein shake.... ... but other items have slipped my memory. Just goes to show I need to get these down "on paper" the day I eat them!

Today is a wedding reception - uh oh.

Return to “Healthy Habits”