Health and Fitness, July, 2011

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Re: Health and Fitness, July, 2011

Postby Harriet » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:42 pm

A verdict has come in

my total cholesterol lowered by 24 pts
LDL lowered by 29 points
HDL upped by 7 points (into "best" range)
Triglicerides (already good) lowered by 7 points

and all of that is good so happy puppy dance worthy and big thanks to HandF friends, to the info OKay gave us here in Sept 2010 on her success with eating more beans, because I certainly have eaten more, too. And also I've been taking garlic, which I started because of the pneumonia, but which I later learned may be good for cholesterol. Total and LDL are still above where he wants them, but, hey, I'm a work in progress!

One interesting thing was that the new test for the size of cholesterol particles did not look good for me. My number was definitely above where it should have been. So dr has no explanation for that, but says everything else is going so well in the right direction we're not going to wonder about that one glitch. Doesn't recommend any change (and I wasn't going to start any meds anyway, he knew, lol). So we are good.

Nancy, that is the first I heard of Zumba Gold. Must not have it here. It sounds great if it's held somewhere you feel comfortable.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:49 pm

I was almost mad at this new article, "Do you really need 8 glasses of water a day? until I read it.

The Institute of Medicine calls for adult men to drink 13 cups of fluid daily (which totals three liters, or a little more than four tall reusable water bottles) and women to have nine cups (2.2 liters, or about the amount found in three reusable water bottles). That number changes according to lifestyle. The more active a person is, the more they will need to replace fluids.

Aha!

It does goes on to say we get some of our water needs from food, but only about 20 percent, not the big percentages that have been claimed. (I was so mad at the stories a year or two ago telling people they were already getting all their fluid needs from meals and they needn't pour any water!! )

I know I always feel my best when I get 8 cups a day, and I drink 2 before anything else, every morning. It seems even more obvious to me in summer. I get headaches and feel lethargic when I go without for too long. One recent thing I was reading was how good hydration helps avoid pimples and improve complexion otherwise.

Anyway, yay water.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:13 am

Yesterday I rec'd the results from the doc's blood draw on Wed - Total cholesterol is in optimal range, HDL is right on the lower edge of the range it s/b, and LDL is in "near optimal range" but doc wants to see it lower into optimal range. Most of these three are better than the results from last Oct.

OTOH, the test he cited - the CRP Ultraquant - is higher than last Oct. Quote from lab rept:
"In addition to its value as an acute phase reactant, elevated hsCPR is associated with risk of MI in patients with stable and unstable angina and to predict risk of first MI and ischemia stroke in apparently healthy individuals."

Sigh. When I go to yoga I really enjoy it. However, it's hard to get myself there for a "regular" class versus going to the Beginning class that has been running the last five weeks. (Last time will be next Wednesday) I pull the schedule up often and look at it, but it's hard to commit. But I keep remembering that the first time the beginning class met, she used a mnemonic to remember our names and I chose "Daring ______" There must be a reason for that, so I'll be daring enough to get through this.

There's a class tomorrow afternoon at 4 and I'll go ahead and sign up now.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:47 am

Kudos to our brave gals getting blood work results this week here!

Harriet I'm pushing 60 will be in a year.

Yesterday I did get in 3 mi. on the ex. bike in the a.m. it's a good thing as I did not walk as much only a mile I think with the kids at the bike path by the river. And what I did in the yard with dgd in the afternoon.

Sat. my ex. was a walk in the a.m. and stroll in the evening.
Last edited by Nancy on Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:28 pm

Then I'm just 4 years behind you, Nancy. 60 is the new 30 or at least the new 40 - I'm not sure how that goes, except that I think 20-somethings are newborns now. ;)

Twins Mom, we both have some good news but also "interesting developments" with new testing. Hmmm ... ... Btw, I did further research on my garlic supplement and learned it is much more likely to be helping me with my blood pressure than with my cholesterol, so that's a point you might want to research, too. Consumer Reports May quotes a study that says each extra daily serving of colorful veggies/fruits may reduce stroke risk by 6 percent.

Makes me even more interested in the organic foods grocery that is opening here in the first of Aug. That's the kind of convenience that will get HRH and me to keep the crisper full. I used to eat apples all the time but avoided them for years because I read that they should be organic to be really good for you and I can't ever find any. So that's one way I'll benefit.

This morning I added cabbage to my juice. Cabbage is supposed to be the best juice for the stomach and I do have gastritis (or perhaps an ulcer that was overlooked on the xray my dr ordered when he was so sure I must have one). I couldn't even taste a difference at first but at one point I got a certain gulp, I guess, and there was the cabbage taste! LOL. Not too bad at all. I had nothing but fruits and vegetables until noon today, because of a combination of circumstance, and felt really good, but then at noon grabbed a purchased pudding cup on the run that tasted sooooo sweet, and then started feeling bad almost immediately.

I agree with Nancy and Twins Mom both that if I were to take a public class, I would probably be "one-at-a-timing" at least at first. I am very much affected by the "vibe" (is that the right word) of a group of people, and don't like others to have that much control over how I feel. Plus, I can't promise much of anything with my ddad needing more input than ever these days, a 12-year-old, etc. etc. and I don't want to let others down. However, I can see that committing to others that you will keep something up could be a big push in the right direction.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:13 am

There were several surprises here for me. Did not know some of this stuff.

Unexpected Health Perks to Losing Weight

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:57 am

Yoga yesterday was "Yin Yoga" the relaxed practice of holding a floor pose for 3 - 5 minutes, "emphasizing the connective tissues of the hips, thighs, pelvis and lower spine." I'm still too intimidated to try the full "Power Yoga" class, but on Wednesday night our final session is just that - putting together all the different routines we have done, with the room heated to 85 to 90 degrees.

Immediately after yoga I felt like coming home and eating something very healthy. Of course, by the time I had driven through interstate traffic and construction to pick up dd, and picked up a pizza for her, I did partake of two pieces.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:33 am

Hubby's blood pressure was low when he checked it at W-mart this weekend so he's considering cutting back on the dose of those meds.

Yesterday I did 4 mi. on the ex. bike.

Mowing is done did that today having some water now.
Walked a mile in the evening part of it was with some neighbor gals. :idea:
Last edited by Nancy on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:20 am

HRH's response to my email asking whether he needs the "Unexpected Health Perks to Losing Weight", above :

"Feet = check
Allergy = Check
Skin = Ok here
Arthritis = Check
Better Mood = Needed
Memory = Need
Sleep = NEED
Diabetes = Can't hurt

OK, I could use all but one... I am purty enough already."

Twins Mom, I was unaware of the temperature component of yoga classes. I am aware of the "other person's pizza" phenomenon. :roll:

Wow, Nancy, already up to 4 miles, that's great.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:08 pm

Thanks Harriet!

Did 3 mi. on the ex. bike yesterday.
Did a 2 mi. walk pushing dgd in the stroller this morning.

Return to “Healthy Habits”