Health and Fitness, July, 2011

Share healthy living habits.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Health and Fitness, July, 2011

Postby Nancy » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:42 pm

Harriet Thanks for noticing!
Ex. was a walk to the farmers mkt. before we left this a.m.

Breakfast:Various meats, eggs, mini blueberry muffin from cont. breakfast here at the Best west ern
and sausage gravy yum, coffee & one creamer limited that b/c it was not sug. free.

{Tomorrow I'm having a waffle hoping I can guess the carbs. right for it. }

Late lunch; bacon burger and salad with too much yummy dressing.

Dinner: Maybe a chicken taco salad undecided atm.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:48 pm

I was able to avoid the bread at the reception because the rolls were so large I knew they defied mannerly eating. Unfortunately, the only thing that passed for a vegetable was vinegar-based slaw. There had been fruit served on the patio before the meal, but I didn't realize it was going to be the only fresh thing and I didn't partake. So basically, I had some very starchy sides (mashed potato that hugged the spoon and macaroni) with pork. Not the best. I really tried with the slaw, but it was so sour I actually started coughing at one point, so forget that.

The time was so good for me emotionally and mentally that I give it a thumbs up in the health column anyway.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:01 pm

Funny, intelligent article on juicing by Andrew Saul, of "Doctor Yourself" fame.

Has lots of tips, science and common sense, plus some great one-liners:

Infomercials do nothing for me personally, but the ones for juicers are in the main, correct.

That countertop sawmill that is a juice extractor serves an important purpose...

People often ask me, “Why juice at all? Why not just eat all those vegetables raw?” Because you won’t, that’s why.

Common complaint: “Juicing takes too much time!”
Simple answer: No it doesn't.

I’ve seen people at the supermarket check out an armload of meat and not blink an eye at the $50 it cost them. You couldn’t even fit 50 bucks worth of carrots in a grocery cart.

Also fun: juice with a friend. If you cannot find a friend, I suppose a family member will have to do.

If your family runs for cover at first sight of your intent to liquefy everything in the ‘fridge, then snag your dog.

In short, it is singularly difficult to kill yourself with carrots.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:08 pm

I was amazed at how spendy some of the fruits and veggies were at the farmers mkt. this past weekend not a tomato in sight too early yet for those. Came home and enjoyed squash and tomoatoes we grew our selves!

1/2 mi. on ex. bike
2.5 mi. walk

On plan for my food today for the most part yea!

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:58 pm

I got a compliment today a neighbor gal said she could tell I've been loosing weight that always makes a person feel good to hear!

Did 1 mi. walk this morning 2 mi. walk this afternoon and 1/2 mi. on the ex. bike.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:19 am

When we were out of town I used one of those exercise bikes that I knew I wanted to try out; they had one where we stayed. I love getting to try out their gym equipment and compare to others, I've used in the past. I did not like this style of exercise bike with the fan in the wheel blowing air up in your face to dry it out; not so bad now but I would not like that in the winter. I did like the way they had arm action on it, but it was hard to get on and off of. I like doing this so you can try before you buy!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:04 pm

Congratulations on a nice compliment, Nancy! She must have seen some toning up, yay! I can't seem to get by the Farmers Market. I really want to but with my ddad's care in the a.m. it just doesn't work out. Maybe HRH can do it Sat. although I think by that day of the week they are out of a lot.

I wanted to get in and report that I've been doing 30 minutes exercise every day for a week now. I do 15, then do 15 later in the day. Sometimes it's Zumba cardio type (no abs! LOL) so I do get sweaty. I hold up my hair and say to dd12, "feel my neck", and she dutifully touches my neck :? and tells me, good job. LOL! She is dabbling in the Zumba, too. I told her if she'll really keep it up I'll buy her an item of their clothing for school, either the tops with their logo or just one of the sensible cargo pants or shoes.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:09 pm

I would love to try Zumba for my age bracket!

Did get my walk in today did some with the grand kids, a bit in the field,
and 2 mi. on the ex. bike, dgson did 1 mi. on it and then after dinner I finished up my walk
on the loop that was a great stress reliever that I really needed this evening!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:53 am

Nancy, there are classes everywhere around here but I don't want to go. I have not heard whether they divide by age group, but even if they do, I don't think they will have provision for someone like me who will want to sit down after each part. LOL Plus I'm not much of a "joiner" I guess. I'm pretty sure you and I are about the same age and I can do the cardio video, but it is separated into 5-minute sessions, and if I feel like it I will sit for the 30 seconds in between while they get ready for each next one! 3 of the 5-minute sessions is all I try at one time, and that abs video is probably never happening again. Otherwise, I'm definitely a T-Tapp girl, for some calm, careful moves! :)

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:11 am

Zumba Gold is the one for my age bracket it's at the community collage, I have a couple of folks I know that work there thought it would be fun to go one time to learn the exercises so I could try doing them at home. They are at night or early am I forget now.

Today I'm considering a walk down town by the river with the grand kids, may take pop corn to feed the squirrels with.

Return to “Healthy Habits”