Health and Fitness, August, 2011

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Health and Fitness, August, 2011

Postby Harriet » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:01 pm

Welcome! Please come in and chat with us here about gaining and maintaining good health, strength and stamina. First, because we are worth it! And also because it prepares us every day to meet the challenges of our wonderful calling, homemaking.

In August the abundance of record-keeping and planning supplies that are out on every store's shelves is amazing, because of the back-to-school push. Plenty of index card concepts, notebooks, journals, calendars, folders, all kinds of writing utensils, plus the tech helps for those who like to track progress in a favorite electronic way. On the internet, helpful tracking sites are always available, too.

How's your record-keeping of good fitness/health habits working for you?

What methods of record-keeping have helped you?

What are your favorites - do you stick with the tried-and-true, are you in the market for better or more interesting methods?

Or do you always seem to just wing it, seldom keeping track? Does that work for you just as well?

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Health and Fitness, August, 2011

Postby Nancy » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:05 am

The only records I keep are here I need to track when I take my Lantis on the calendar I think.
I've done my walking today I saw a doe and her fawn. It was pleasant and cool out as I got up earlier and walked first thing this morning.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:58 pm

Walked 3.4 miles outdoors yesterday, plus did 13 minute floor exercise routine (from Shape magazine, I think.)
Awoke this morning...
Had gained a pound. One pound above what was a big no-no number, anyway.
Grrrr...

HOWEVER...
MAYBE some of it was water retention.
Three pieces of pizza and a slice of bday cake last night probably was NOT a good thing for early morning weigh-in.

I shall try to continue good exercise habits in August and I will try to eat more intelligently today.

8/1 -- walked 3.4 miles outdoors, did 13 min. floor exercise routine
8/2 -- walked 3 miles outdoors, did 10 min. floor exercise routine (from Cindy Crawford video)
8/3 -- walked 2 miles outdoors
(* I know my miles are getting shorter, but it's getting hotter. Plus today I had to do it alone b/c dh didn't want to go out with me.)
Last edited by lucylee on Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Tomorrow is another day.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:56 pm

Walked some at the fishing hole while hubby was fishing, I picked berries today for some exercise. Plus doing laundry going up and down stairs.

OKay

Postby OKay » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:56 pm

What methods of record-keeping have helped you?

I'm still doing a combo of manual 3x5" cards and excel spreadsheet.

The 3x5" card does well to monitor short term. I start a new card each month for the habits I am currently focusing on. It keeps the new habit "in my face" and on my mind.

The excel spreadsheet works well for me to monitor longer term - I get inspired by challenging against myself to improve my own numbers.

The following are today's results from excel formulas that motivate me to keep on keeping on........
** Today is 52nd day since I've been actively tracking what I eat and doing low carb.
** I've lost 14.2 lbs
** which averages out to -0.273076923 lbs lost per day
** At this rate of weight loss, I am losing an average of 8.2lbs per month.
** At this rate of weight loss, I will reach my goal weight on Oct 8, 2011
Last edited by OKay on Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:41 am

BIG, BIG WTG, OKay!!!!! That is really great!

I don't know that I have any number goal right now... afraid to set any goal, really... but I am going to set a goal to post my daily exercise totals, and to try to outdo the number of exercise days from July (which was 14 -- I didn't post here, but did on my bathroom calendar.) If I could do 15 days at least this month, then I'd at least be doing exercise approximately every other day. That's about as much as I can commit to, and I feel sorta shaky on being able to keep up with even that much. BUT... you have to start somewhere, right?
Tomorrow is another day.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:44 am

Signed up for a yoga class at 4 p.m.today that I haven't tried before: A slower paced vinyasa yoga class that allows time to go deeper and really explore the postures. This class will be taught in a warm room, and will cultivate strength and flexibility.

Speaking of which, I need to process some laundry. I think I have yoga clothes for today, but won't for later in the week....
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:32 am

64*- 92* is our temp. range here today walked one mi. this morning while it was cooler outside. Foot was acting up a bit so I'll finish on the ex. bike later on.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:28 pm

Today's exercise was a long walk, mowing, yard work and unloading donations.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:22 pm

Gee, ya'll are getting downright inspiring around here. :idea:

OKay and dh are both reaping rewards of her successful plan, Twins Mom is stepping out of her comfort zone and learning more to become more fit, Nancy is a model of cross-training with different activities/workouts on different days, and lucylee is committing (hmmm... ... is that the most important thing, possibly?) and following through with record keeping.

Lately in all areas of life I've been lagging, and health/fitness is no exception. It's been a long time since I took my measurements, so I did that this morning, to bring record keeping (and its honesty) back to the forefront for me.

Today I did the Total Workout of T-Tapp for 55 minutes, the first time in a long time I've done that. I did need one break in the middle, which is actually quite a success because I thought I'd need more. I have felt content and well since then, and taking notice of that feeling, for sure.

I'll see if I am sore tomorrow and decide how much time to take off, but there is no doubt I need and want to start the Total again with regularity.

Return to “Healthy Habits”