Health and Fitness September, 2011

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Re: Health and Fitness September, 2011

Postby Harriet » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:06 pm

I never thought I would be seriously posting about "lying out", which I gave up as a teenager. But for a couple days last week I followed the sun and spent 15-20 minutes in a bathing suit for no reason except to lie there and get some rays.

Thanks for trying, bittersweet. I did find this one other explanation of geographically/hourly amount of Vitamin D from the sun:
"Exposure of a person in a bathing suit to a minimal erythemal dose of sunlight, which is typically no more than 15-20 minutes on Cape Cod in June or July at noon time, is the equivalent to taking 20,000 IU of vitamin D orally. " - Dr. Michael F. Holick
Of course this is meant to explain the difference between wearing cover-up clothing or a bathing suit, the difference between June-July or other months on Cape Cod, and noon as opposed to other hours, but you still have the feeling you should applaud for Mr. Sun.

I probably also never thought I would be seriously posting about hula-hooping. Of course, it is just too tempting to watch dd having all the fun. She can do several tricks now, like hooping consistently at her hips rather than her waist, and just goes on and on without dropping it. I, on the other hand, have been able to hoop straight for about 2 minutes, tops. But yesterday I hooped in spurts for 30 minutes and counted it for my exercise. They say when you hear the clatter of a hoop falling to the ground, that is positive because you are getting better. I have been so positive! lol She doesn't know it but her new hoop is being made - they sent me the email today that they are now making it. It will be neon green/yellow/blue. $32. That's a lot of money to spend on a fad, but it is a healthy fad that has her so happy.

bittersweet

Postby bittersweet » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:37 pm

Here's a link to an abstract of a study done on vitamin D/sun exposure equivalences, and I have to admit, his conclusions make sense!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20363523

I got plenty of natural vitamin D today while I spent the best part of three hours in Mum's garden pulling weeds. We're nowhere near done, but at least one can see the improvements now! I guess that counts for exercise, too, right?
"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day of the year." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:06 pm

Back from my morning walk feeling refreshed and better.

bittersweet

Postby bittersweet » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:46 pm

Hubby is in quite an active mood today (VERY unusual for him!), and after an hour of trudging round the grocery store, he now wants to take the dogs for a walk! Guess what I'm going to be doing :roll:
"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day of the year." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:18 am

I am back from a brisk morning walk while it is still cool out 90+ here this week!

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:36 pm

Did my walk on Wed. and Thurs. this week.

OKay

Postby OKay » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:44 am

Today is a milestone day for us = 90 days of Low Carb'ing (aka 90 days since DH received diabetes diagnosis).

DH has lost 46 lbs
I have lost 20 lbs

DH has moved down 6 sizes in jeans and the jeans he is wearing how are so baggy they are almost in fall-off status. :D

Now DH Bsugar is almost always in the range the doctor wants (below 100 first thing in the morning, below 150 during the day).

Eating extreme low carb (under 50 carbs daily....usually we stay under 20 carbs) is a bit limiting in food selection, but I gotta admit that it works and is without hunger pains.

DH returns for a check-up in October so we will continue our current eating style until then (at least).

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:23 am

OKay, I'm so happy for you and dh that you are so successful with a diet restricting some foods in order to lose weight. It was Dr. James Johnson (Alternate Day Diet) who spoke and wrote so eloquently on losing weight being a health aim in and of itself that was worth sacrificing for temporarily. I am absolutely convinced that white flour and processed sugars are the worst things we can put into our bodies. My DVetNeighbor does Atkins specifically, and has a long history of putting animals on it.

But knowing everything I know now about my reactions and HRH's needs, I would probably lean more toward the semi-vegetarian, including fish and eggs. When I tried extreme low-carb, I was spooked by a couple things that are probably unique to me. The first time, I got stiffness/pain in my finger joints, that I could just about control like an on/off switch by going low carb or not. I think nitrites in various meats I was eating had something to do with the joint pain (bacon, deli meats) but I don't know. That was before nitrite-free bacon and nitrite-free deli meats came in at groceries here.

The second time using the new book by Dr. Westman, I just couldn't deal with the constipation, which may have to do with being a woman with estrogen dominance, although as I would look at my diet, I couldn't figure how to add fiber into it - I was already at 2 big salads a day. My body was used to beans and more grains, certainly sweet potatoes. I was really trying to be strict, and there were very few desserts the new book allowed, unless you used odd-to-me (counter-intuitive, I guess) items, like heavy cream.

I did keep it up for 8 days then. My doctor said if only he could have known in advance that constipation would be my stumbling block, he would have suggested adding in berries ( a no-no for low-carb, really, of course ) to see if that helped. Of course, I was alone in low-carb, because gout sufferers like HRH are warned not to do it, and our dr reminded me then it could mean the hospital for him. So anytime I was low-carb I was really eating differently than the household. Westman's book says on the cover, "lose up to 15 pounds in 2 weeks", and although quick weight loss wasn't my whole point, the fact that I lost virtually nothing in 8 days did make me feel it just wasn't "my body's diet".

At this point, HRH is being a calorie-counter. He is looking actively for a better supplier of salmon (or mackerel) than our local groceries. Unless we have canned salmon, it just costs a fortune at the grocery for salmon, and he really looks forward to the look and mouth-feel of a salmon steak.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:13 am

Harriet I'm with you when I eat vegetarian diet I feel better but my blood sugar does not like it.
I had to learn to dose for fruit and beans this past year so I"m doing much better now.

Melon & berries are lower in carb. than some other fruits.
I have a prune before bed and another during the day also.
We like to have veg. juice like v-8 the low sodium kind.
Metamucil helps with constipation but has 5 carbs. in it.

So far the only thing I've had is coffee black.
Breakfast was the hardest meal for me to adjust to.

OKay

Postby OKay » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:13 pm

Since receiving the picture of plate with recommended servings from LO doctor, I have been consciously trying to follow it while still staying Low Carb. I fill 1/2 of my plate with low carb vegetables, 1/4 of plate with higher carb vegetables (usually beans) and the last 1/4 with protein. This diet works for us, but remember - I am cooking about 80 times a month so I can control what foods are available to put on the plate. We greatly limit the times we eat away from home.

I did struggle with consipation at first until I started watching the fiber content. For example the tortillas we use have high fiber (26g) in each one (6 net carbs). Another big fiber treat is one minute Flaxmeal muffins - they are wonderful full of fiber and good oils and are low carb.

Berries are recommended fruit for Low carb'ing. We typically have strawberry and/or blueberries protein shakes several times a week.

I T-Totally agree that everyone body is different and no diet is perfect. Low carb is hard for meat & potato males in particular. DH misses his bread and potatoes. I think he dreams about eating biscuits. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Healthy Habits”