Health and Fitness October, 2011

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Health and Fitness October, 2011

Postby Harriet » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:21 am

Goals anyone?

Lots of planning for Healthy Habits is going on around the village. Rumblings of determination! :o Several goals have already been set and reported.

We've got 3 months until 2012 and there's so much we can do with it! Remember, a health goal is more likely to be achieved if it is shared with friends who support and encourage. So let us know if you have Calendar Event Goals for which you are planning, or a new habit you're spending 21 days forming. We hope you'll post with us!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Health and Fitness October, 2011

Postby Nancy » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:59 am

I'm just trying to stay on track with my exercise program and bump up my fiber intake.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:23 pm

I will try to get back on track w/exercise, fruits, & vegetables.
September was probably the most useless month of the year for me, health-wise. With dmom's surgery & our trip -- whew -- I think I logged THREE days of exercise.
Of course, I'm not counting the days at the festival, (or our two-mile walks to/from ballgames on Saturdays), and there was a LOT of uphill/downhill walking at the festival But the wonderful lady with the cherry vanilla fudge probably canceled out any exercise benefits at the festival. :oops:
Tomorrow is another day.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:00 pm

Goals - HRH and I have challenged each other to lose 5 pounds in October and have both weighed in this a.m. I've made a little card-chart to record every Sat. I suppose I'll do most by simple calorie counting. 5 won't get me where I need to go, but if I did that every month, by end of year I could be so much better off. Honestly, the goal-making here made me think of it!!!

Walks of 3/4 mile a day are still happening with my ddad. I find it somewhat difficult to exercise otherwise in this new dynamic, because my father is a person I just don't do video exercise in front of, believe me. :shock: The extra tv that used to be in dd's room has been given up to his room now. Thinking.

A nice snack-y product that has been good to my tummy is FAGE Greek honey yogurt. This is the one that has the little compartment to keep separate the honey (or preserves for other flavors) to the side until you open it, and looks like you could hold it like a handle. It usually costs barely more than $1 here, which is actually right in line with other single-serve. (I could save if I bought large containers.) The ones I find are usually 2%. I don't know why, but this one leaves me feeling better than others.

Cowinkie

Postby Cowinkie » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:08 pm

13 lbs by Dec. 15. I am going home to share Xmas with my family in NJ. I want to surprise them when I get there.

Harriet..

I always set 5 lb goal. Then I reward myself with something when I reach it. Every time I hit 10lbs, I do something a bit bigger. I have a beautiful silver and turquoise bracelet I bought for myself, but am not going to wear it until I'm under 130lbs. That means I will have lost 30+ lbs. I keep it in my kitchen draw so I can look at it when I get a weak moment. This morning I was at 132.5 so if everything stays on the course, I should be wearing it sometime next week :D :D :D
Live boldly, take risk, no regrets...Jillian Michaels

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:36 am

Cowinkie: you must be tiny, at 132 I'd be below my goal weight and people would start to tell me to not lose any more when they hug me! (That happened last time I was 133.)

My goal is 5 pounds per month until the end of March. That puts me at my goal weight.

I started in Sept at a high of 173 and was 170 as of yesterday so some of the extra weight was just the poor eating and high salt of the week of meetings. I just hope reining in eating and upping exercise will continue the weight loss at my normal rate (average of 1.5 pounds a week.) Given that I'm older than the other times I've done this, perhaps that won't be true.

I skipped exercise yesterday for no good reason except I wanted to finish reading my book before getting out of bed in the morning. I though dh would want a walk in the afternoon but he was too overwhelmed with his deadline.

I'm on the treadmill today but will shorten it up because it is late and we need to get to church early.

I'm fascinated that I'm having trouble getting my water in. I would have thought it was a habit, but apparently, I've broken that habit. Yesterday, I managed 7 glasses when you count my decaf tea and milk. On the plus side, I only had 2 cans of diet caffeinated soda, so that is a slight improvement over the 3 - 4 that I usually have.

Even when I'm exercising, I used to down 4 glasses but this past week it has only been 3 and if I didn't exercise I didn't drink enough at all.

OKay

Postby OKay » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:41 pm

I am inspired just by reading your post and goals. YGG!

My October goal is to lose 8 lbs (2 lbs weekly). If I keep to my weight loss goal over the next couple of months, I will be at my goal weight the first part of December.

I have lost 4 lbs in the last 2 days by doing what you recommended Cowinkle! Thank YOU! It does work and has given me renewed motivation to keep up the effort.

BTW - DH continues to lose weight. I think he is about 60lbs lost now. Everyone tells him how wonderful he looks. I agree. :D
He returns to doctor for diabetic checkup this month.....hope his numbers reflect all the effort over the past 3 months. :)

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:14 pm

Back from my walk remembered my apple at lunch.

Cowinkie

Postby Cowinkie » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:26 pm

Okay you're welcome. I find for myself that I am very carb sensitive and have to keep that count very low. This has become especially true as I've aged. It's a tough thing to do, but I like the results. I also find that by cutting carbs, I'm never hungry and my cravings disappear.

I am very large boned. I wear a 7.5 to 8 inch bracelet. I'm 5' 4", but my mom is 5'2" and wears a size 7 ring. She weighs about 108. When I'm at correct weight I wear a size 6. Go figure

Cowinkie

Postby Cowinkie » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:34 pm

Forgot to add...

I'm like you, watching the scale do down really is Motivating to me
Too. I also take time right before I go to sleep to visualize how i will look I've been know to take some skimping hot modlels pic out of magazine and paste a pic of my head to it.

DesparAte people do very strange things some times :D

Return to “Healthy Habits”