Health and Fitness October, 2011

Share healthy living habits.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Health and Fitness October, 2011

Postby Nancy » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:29 pm

Lunch is done.
I've done my 3 mi. on the exercise bike.
Having some coffee now.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:20 pm

So far today

Blackberry smoothie with dairy milk, protein powder
greek yogurt 2 % with 1.5 tbls strawberry preserves
Subway Veggie Delight on flatbread no cheese
Pepsi - the second one in Oct, sigh

online site says this is still under 900 calories
and what I need to add most is fiber

Raking leaves for 30 minutes burns 146 calories is their thought for the day, btw.

Except for that Pepsi, I am really taking this seriously this month. Likely because I want to report here!

Did Basic workout and had a spring in my step. Sometimes it makes me feel optimistic.

finished the day's eating with

chicken, big salad with avocado
a 90-calorie Fiber One bar

hit 1,200 calories, which is a little low, but had more sugar than usual.
I don't think the online site understands how many veggies I load on a "Veggie Delite" sandwich. It says 3 grams fiber, and I know it's way above that.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:43 am

Scale dipped yesterday so after 18 days, I'm back to where I was.

Don't expect to see that number today, though, because yesterday was the chip wagon (where I split a small order of fries with dh but had an excellent hot dog) and then Shepherd's pie for dinner. But minimal snacking (about 200 calories of crackers and the rest was veggies or fruit.) Missed my second milk (and just realized that now.)

Today I'll need to be vigilant. I'll take a lunch and lots of snacks. I can't leave during the day so will be at the church hall for 9.5 hours and doing physical work. There will be baking there and soup and rolls. Of all that, the soup is the only safe item so I'll be taking as large bag of food for myself and lots of drinks. I've got 56 oz of water ready to go plus 16 oz of diet Dr. P. I'll also take 8 oz of milk and some extra water bottles. Tonight's dinner is Subway, right after I leave so I don't have to wait to get home before eating. Dh will eat up the leftover Shepherd's pie so that will get it out of the house.

I'm on the treadmill now for an abbreviated workout. Then a full round of back exercises. My back is tender today but getting worse as I move around more, rather than better. I can hear my feet dragging on the treadmill.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:31 pm

Kathryn, I hope your back is better!

I'm pulling out every trick in the book to hopefully see a loss on October's third weigh-in day tomorrow. I've eaten well 1,300 calories, high on the protein although the sodium isn't ideal, had my water, done the Basic workout plus a set of hoe-downs within 20 minutes after my supper, which was a 210-calorie meal. I am a little concerned that there was white flour today, but there was a lot more fresh veggies, too. After tomorrow, I have only one more weekly weigh-in and then a couple more days to see if I can lose October's 5 pounds! ;)

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:22 am

It's Saaaaturday... .... and I've lost ... a half a pound again. Hmmm. :|

It's not that I don't welcome it, it's just that I'm checking off all the Healthy Habits plus calorie counting and the losses are s-l-o-w as can be.

Perhaps I can't even have Subway any longer while expecting to lose?
Even if it is a "Jared's favorite" 6-inch no-cheese flatbread and the biggest meal of my day?
Surely I can't beat myself up because I had one Pepsi all week - there were no dessert.

Anyway, 2.5 pounds toward a 5 pound goal for October and I have 10 days to go. The trend is positive.
If you don't believe in miracles, you're not being realistic.

Lilac

Postby Lilac » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:31 am

Good job on the weight loss Harriet.

My scales jumped 5 lbs. while we were gone. It was just temporary but it took 5 days for it to disappear. Now I need to lose 10 lbs. that are the real deal. I am hoping between our move and dd2 move that I will be able to lose them. If I can't then something is wrong, because the 2 moves will involve a lot of work.

OKay

Postby OKay » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:33 pm

What an inspirational place!

I join in the continual efforts. It looks like my weight goal for this month is going to be a nail-bitter to see if I met my self imposed weight loss challenge. I have 1.8 lbs to lose in the next 9 days. I wish I could say it will happen, but logic just doesn't seem to be playing a part in my weight loss lately.

In the "just not logical" department.....Yesterday we ate out two times and I ended up losing .4lbs!! I did forget to eat lunch but I made up for it at supper (eating two meals at once!!) :oops: Yesterday I forgot to drink my water and barely drank anything. :oops: Logic says eating too much sodium, eating late in the day and no/little water consumption should result in gained weight. **VBSigh** I'm happy for the weight loss but I wish I knew what caused it (so I could repeat it for continual weight loss!).

Looking ahead to next month.......Once I met this month goal, I will have 9 lbs left to lose. Part of me wants to go ALL OUT and finish the weight loss effort next month. The realistic part of me knows losing more than 2 lbs a week is hard and the holidays are tough time to lose weight. I could spread the remaining weight to be lost into 2 months and do in a sane manner....and easier. OHHH but the temptation to try for a dash to the FINISH LINE is strong.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:49 pm

For lunch we used coupons at Arby's and enjoyed that but yesterday I was feeling better today the food was better. But the 500 calories ack plus a granola bar & cheese I'm already at 800 calories today. :o

Walked to the field around a bit, did my 3 mi. on the ex. bike, and walked one more mile at home sun came out today yea!!!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:18 pm

Breakfast - Almond milk Smoothie with mixed frozen berries and protein powder
Lunch - 8 Chick-Fil-A nuggets with 1/2 a packet of sauce, their small carrot salad, Pepsi
Supper - crowder peas, 1/2 serving rice side-dish, 1/2 cup gluten-free pudding, salad

This puts me at 1,080 calories so far, so I could have a snack.

Very good on white flour/gluten, not so good on sodium - wow those 8 nuggets are 840.
and, of course, I had a Pepsi. oops

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:01 pm

Nancy, have you had much leaf-raking to do yet? Sounds like you are getting plenty of exercise without it.

Yep, I think exercise will be on your side, Lilac. A lot of bending and carrying. Good job getting rid of the recent 5 pounds.

OKay, even if your body loses the same percentage weight each week just perfectly like clockwork, the numbers would still be a little less each week up to your goal. If you expect a 9-pound-per-month loss from your smaller body as you approach your goal, you are actually asking a lot more of it then than you ever have before. I vote for allowing yourself to spread the loss over 2 months. I think it's amazing you are having such a successful October.

Basic workout today

3-egg omelet with bell pepper and onion
Greek yogurt and honey
big salad with sprinkled cheese
rice, beans, spinich, cheese
gluten-free chocolate covered pretzels

Return to “Healthy Habits”