Health and Fitness October, 2011

Share healthy living habits.
Cowinkie

Re: Health and Fitness October, 2011

Postby Cowinkie » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:05 pm

I don't know where I am on the scales cause I'm on vacation and don't want to become discouraged. However last night I put a dress on that I haven't been able to wear in 6 years. Last month when I tried it on, I couldn't get it zipped.

I certainly celebrated yesterday....but those kinds of days don't come very often. I did enjoy every mouthful, but am back on my program today. Breakfast was 2 turkey sausages with 2 eggs made from egg beaters, plus my 22ozs of coffee. I use 12 oz coffee cups. Sometimes I use skim milk and sometimes I drink my coffee black. For lunch I had a 7oz chix breast. I'm really not very hungry ...perhaps from a carry over from dinner last night and too many carbs...but I didn't want to skip a meal. I drink Sam's water from Wally World. I like the taste, comes in 20 oz bottles and makes my water drinking easy to calculate. I reuse the bottles and fill them with tea or crystal light. On Mondays I take a ton of bottles to school for the week. I've been drinking at least a 100 oz of fluids a day making 60 oz of them plain water. (I know where ALL the restrooms are in all the store I shop at ;) ) The tap water in my area has a sulfur smell and taste to it, so drinking it from the tap is not an option. However, I do use tap to make my coffee, tea and crystal light. As long as there is something else in the tap water, I can tolerate it.

I will get back on the scales on Monday. I am trying to eat as few carbs as possible. Since I made that switch I find I am less hungry and the scales move faster in the direction I want. Tomorrow night we may be meeting friends for dinner. The place were we go have great hamburgers. I will order a burger without a bun or dressing and eat it with my fork. I also tell the server not to bring the fries...no use tempting me. I WILL eat them if I see them.

We have an in-and-out burger fast food place here. I like eating there cause I can get what they call a protein burger. Its a burger wrapped in lettuce. I usually order 2 and eat the meat alone with some lettuce and tomato. Sweetie loves eating there...he's as thin as a rail and and eat anything....so it makes it easy for me to stay on my program.
Live boldly, take risk, no regrets...Jillian Michaels

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:27 am

It's Saaaturdaay (sing-song voice)! I have lost a half a poouund!

So that's 2 pounds toward my 5 and there are 2 weeks and 2 days left to go.

Burger chat - here there is Hardee's, which has a newer counterpart beyond the Mississippi that is called "Star" I think? (No, I now see it is "Carl's" Star Burger.) Anyway, Hardee's has what they call the low-carb option and they prepare the burger the same without bread, wrap it in big lettuce leaves, then wrap it in folded-down, wax-coated paper so it doesn't drip (much) while being held. HRH says, "no sauce" but I go ahead and have it.

I have asked McDonalds at several locations to prepare a no-bun sandwich and was turned down. Their corporate just doesn't make that provision.

Water chat - dd31 likes the Brita filter that goes with you.

Cowinkie

Postby Cowinkie » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:55 pm

Yippie for you Harriet...WTO :D

I'm wearing a pair of shorts today that I could get on last month, but couldn't zip up. ;-)

We have Carl Jr. fast food here in the desert. Bet its the same outfit. Nice to know cause I usually just strip the bun off and eat the veggies and meat. I get the grilled chix cesar salad when I'm at Micky dees. Its my fast food option when I'm going to be late getting home cause I've been working out at the gym.

I hate the taste of water, so I just down it as fast as I can. If I were to drink it cup by cup I would never drink enough. I don't like my water cold either like a lot of other people do. It goes down easier at room temp.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:48 pm

Right, there is a "jr" on that. HRH says don't worry ALL the managers have to go to the same school for the same courses/instructors, so they WILL know what you are talking about if you say, "low-carb".

Today

berry/almond milk/protein powder Smoothie
3-egg omelet with bell pepper and onion, cheddar sprinkled
very small serving of HRH's spaghetti, no bread
big tossed salad with cheddar sprinkled, honey-mustard dressing
2 percent yogurt with tablespoon of preserves

Walk with my dad.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:20 pm

I have two checks in the exercise column for my bike rides. DH wants to go up and down all the streets but I had to leave a couple off. I haven't ridden much lately and have to get my sit-upon used to it again. Think saddle sore.

And a couple checks in the spiritual health column too. Helped a bunch at the picnic today, sat with long-time friend (she is in wheelchair) brought to church by another friend from her nursing home. Held dear 3-month baby girl for a while so teen mom could eat her plate of food and helped in kitchen drying serving bowls & stuff.

I'm just in awe of how some of you can lose weight. I just can't seem to do it like you can.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:35 pm

I walked one mi. with dgkids this afternoon and then finished the last 1/2 mi. of my walk after the grands left.

Ate w/ the family had nugget at McDonalds 18 carbs. not too bad.
They had a blast we got the treat containers and went to the park picked up acrons for feeding the squirrels in our yard it was a blast watching them eat!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:20 am

No progress to report here.

I couldn't exercise on Saturday, there just wasn't enough time before I left in the morning. I did choose far away parking spots so got some strolling in while shopping (I was in an urban setting so had to go blocks beyond the stores I was hitting in order to find street parking.) I ate well on Saturday - 2 donut holes were the only unplanned items and because I was out there was no unplanned or uncontrolled snacking.

Yesterday we overslept and I skipped exercising. Dh did and missed breakfast as a result, something that isn't an option for me so I was glad I didn't do the treadmill. We were also late for choir practice before church, again, not my fault. Yay! We skipped the pot luck but dh had two meals with bacon so I had a slice with my lunch and dinner rather than feel hard done by. Dinner wasn't until 7:30 so there was some uncontrolled snacking in there but it was healthier and low fat crackers.

Today I overslept by an hour again (was in bed 9 hours) but a on the treadmill because I don't have to be out of the house today. So I'm moving along, one step at a time, not at top speed but at 3 mph. The power has been flickering this morning which makes this a dangerous activity for me (I'll get audio warning at the same time as the track stops dead.) So I don't want to go over fast. I'd be walking outside but it is raining.

Cowinkie

Postby Cowinkie » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:35 pm

I did get on the scale today and am the same. Not worried about that as. Vacation time was last week. I watch over what I ate but didn't obsess over it so I'm find with the results. Back on track and focused again. Slow and steady is working for me this time. Still 1lb away from My bracelet

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:46 am

Forgot to weigh in yesterday.

Didn't move much aside from the treadmill in the morning and am now stiff this morning.

After I s2s and have breakfast, I'll walk to the general store for the mail since the sun is unexpectedly out at this point. Yesterday I just couldn't face walking in the cold, wind and rain.

Ate ok but not great. Two servings of fruit were actually pure juice, something I don't like to do. But I did get 7 fruits and vegs in as a result of choosing juice to drink at dinner. My goal is always 7 - 10. I also measured out hummus when I had my cut veggies afternoon snack and 2 tbsp is enough for 3 servings of veggies so that's a reasonable ratio. Hummus is expensive so I'll need to learn how to make it at some point but for now I found my brand in my regular discount grocery store. I don't like the kinds sold by Costc* so won't buy it even though it is 1/3 the cost of my kind.

Dh had the Ruffles out for his dinner (we had burgers, mine was chicken with no bun) and I manage to eat only 3 before pulling out a single serving bag of baked Lays. I'd have opened the bag of Baked Ruffles but didn't trust my willpower. I have baked Cheetos in the house as well in the mini bags which cost me a fortune but I know it is better to have the shame of eating 2 of those in a day than eating 1 of the regular sized bag. And at best I can make a full-sized bag last 2 days so I'll go the expensive route for now.

OKay

Postby OKay » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:08 am

Down 2 lbs. That puts me 2 lbs away from my goal weight for this month. My weight pattern seems to stay the same same same same then drop a lb or two all at once. It is easier to stay focused and eating correct portions without seeing any results once I noticed this pattern.

Kathryn - my hat is off to you. I can not have chips in the house. We do keep pork skins (no carbs) in the house for those times we want something crunchy & salty as a side. When we first gave up chips, we ate the pork skins all the time, however I don't think we have eaten any of them in weeks. Slowly our desires and tastes are changing. OH SO SLOWLY.....because I still don't trust myself alone in the house with a bag of Cheetos. 99% of the time I would do fine.....but that weak moment would eventually happen. :oops:

I stay busy and on the go about 12-16 hours a day, but am failing on planned exercise. I am planning on doing the C25K program, but my focus is on other things now ......so I wait for it to clear a little.

THANK YOU for the burger information!! We have a Carl Jr in town, so that is my plan for tomorrow lunch treat. I will take pita bread with me and use it to put the LC burger into. This gives us another option for food when we are going to be away from home.

Return to “Healthy Habits”