Health and Fitness, November 2011

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Re: Health and Fitness, November 2011

Postby Harriet » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:08 pm

Sure, here's that thread from a few months ago. The first person to answer is a certified fitness trainer, the second person to answer is a photographer. And there are a few other tidbits in other posts that are interesting, too.

My favorite tip for posture in general is to turn hands palms-forward as they hang loosely at your sides, roll shoulders back as you lift the ribcage, then as you allow shoulders and hands to relax, keep ribcage up. Imagery to help you pull the lower tummy in: Get ready to whistle (you don't actually have to whistle) because we all instinctively tighten tummies to whistle. Or if you imagine a zipper on jeans being zipped up.

OKay

Postby OKay » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:05 am

163 days later.....32.6 lbs lighter......It finally happened!!!

This morning I stepped on the scale and was pleasantly surprised to see I am below doctor recommended goal weight!!

My ultimate goal is to keep weight within 5 lbs of that number. Now starts the learning process to maintain.

Lisa B.

Postby Lisa B. » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:19 pm

WTG Okay. Congratulations.

Well,1st day of boot camp is done. We did lunges, jumping jacks, push ups, small jogs, and other exercises but first we warmed up and after we cooled down. Drank water during this. It was hard but liked it. Next day is Wednesday for cardio. Today was general body. Friday will be core and strengthening.
“The most effective way to do it, is to do it.” ~ Amelia Earhart
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me.” – Ayn Rand

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:22 pm

I did 4 miles on the ex. bike this morning.

Cowinkie

Postby Cowinkie » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:46 pm

WTG to all you girls!!! Keep it coming.

I ate what I should today, not what I thought I should eat :D
Live boldly, take risk, no regrets...Jillian Michaels

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:05 am

skipped treadmill yesterday but walked. In the cold. Sunday it was in the 50s, yesterday it was just below freezing so I pulled out my winter jacket.

Today I won't have time to walk so am on the treadmill. I don't have time for it either but if I skip the floor exercises I should just make it out the door on time.

I've put a coat of clear nail polish on to support my nails through volunteering since they tend to break there due to excessive heat in the building and using my hands so much, packing and unpacking boxes, and shelving books. So my treadmill time is triple purpose, cuop, nail drying and exercise.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:47 am

OKay's dr is going to have raised eyebrows through her entire next visit!!! Wow, tell this woman a target weight and she comes back with it. How many times do you suppose THAT happens.

Yes, maintenance. The real work, the real obstacle.

Lisa, that's great that you are liking bootcamp. Smart to be doing a rotation through various types of activity. It's good for you PLUS one person may feel more comfortable with one type than with another and keep up the bootcamp because at least part is familiar, or they can feel successful at something. Have fun with cardio! (pant, pant) :D

4 miles is a lot, Nancy. You're building stamina, I think.

Hopped on the scale this morning, saw a half-pound loss, decided to double-check and it was gone. Serves me right. Maybe this means I was just on the verge. Or maybe my scale is messin' with me.

Read about preserving homemade juice for a day or so, and rummaged through my mason jars and lids and I do have the right thing, yay - a ring/lid with a rubber inner seal on a coated interior. One of the good things about many years of canning. (You don't heat the juice of course, the idea is to get a tight seal without metal touching the juice.) Since what I have won't work forever, if I keep wanting to store juice I'll break over and buy this product. (btw, this site has every type of decorative thing for jars for gift giving, etc. It's an interesting site.)

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:00 pm

Today got my blood moving with four trips up and down the stairs moving four folding chairs, sweeping off the leaves on the deck, and getting the trash out to the curb.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:26 am

Treadmill time again. Once I'm on, I love it but it took me 1 hour to drag myself out of bed. I actually imagined I was part of an Occupy Bed protest and police were coming to break it up! (Guess what story was on the radio when I got out of bed?!)

My new Lindsey Sterling song really gets me moving, I move at 3.7 mph for that 2 minutes and do it twice in my 30 minute workout. Can't type or read at that speed so I bring the speed back to my 3.1 mph when the sprint is over.

Weight was up a deserved pound (hormonal eating) yesterday but it might also be TOM which was due yesterday but hasn't had the good manners to arrive. My body has all the signs but none of the relief. It has been months since I've had a skipped period and I got used to them at least coming at about the right time (or 4 - 7 days early.) So the challenge is to hold my weight here for the rest of the month. It is only a 2 pound loss but that's better than nothing and preferable to a 3 pound gain which is possible with my body and TOM.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:49 am

Yesterday I walked with dgd in the stroller glad it's warmed up here!
Did 3 mi. on the ex. bike and a total gym upper body work out last night.

Today I'm down 3 lbs. yea! Really had to fight for that loss.

Return to “Healthy Habits”