Health and Fitness, November 2011

Share healthy living habits.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Health and Fitness, November 2011

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:05 am

I'm keeping up with the treadmill. One of the motivating factors is that I visually look better in my workout clothes now. So, although the scale hasn't moved dramatically (at this point it has moved 6 pounds lower in the 2 months since I started putting in a lot of time on the treadmill), I must be losing inches in important places.

Yesterday I had two meals out but the second was very healthy (roast chicken and a salad) and the first was chili (ok) but also one of those amazing tea biscuits from Tim Horton's. Still, because I was out, there was no snacking either. Plus I ate breakfast at 10:30, lunch at 1:40 and dinner at 5:40 so could only eat about half my large chicken breast. There's now chicken for my lunch today.

With my TOM came a surprise drop in my weight. It had stayed steady then up a pound right before it came, then down 2. So the treadmill is working at limiting my weight gain over my period. When I was doing Curves years ago, I noticed the same effect, no weight loss the week of my period but no traditional gain either. Back then, I'd lose 2 pounds a week, steady, except for the week of my period so on average it was 1.5 pounds a week (and that average held over six months.) My weight loss is 50% slower now that I'm older but the benefit of the exercise reducing TOM weight gain seems to be the same. There's another incentive to workout!

On Sunday I get to switch to my TSO Christmas workout music and that may help me stay interested in the treadmill although I don't feel like my interest is waning yet. My daily walks were missed almost all week (just Monday and maybe today) so I need the treadmill.

Updated to add: I took my waist to hip ratio today and came up with .81. Not the .73 when I did the measurments wrong (I measured my waist at the narrowest point, which at this weight is too high a place on the body), but not scary high either. When I was at my healthiest (i.e. 130s), my WHR was .68 (I have my old measurements and my waist measurement at that weight is in the correct place.) Thanks for giving me a new indicator of the status of my weight.

Here are my current stats:

Weight 165
WHR .81 (just over the healthy end of things)
BMI 27.9 (high end of overweight range.)

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:58 am

Woo Hoo, Nancy, I was thinking all that exercise variety was bound to benefit you soon! 3 pounds looks pretty good to me at my recent rate of loss! I'd have to work more than a month to get there!

I did finally see that half-pound re-disappear yesterday :) but never got in here to tell it. So I'm at 4.5 pounds lost since Oct. 1. If I can at least hold the fort while we have houseguests over this weekend, maybe another half-pound could happen in the days before month's end and I could claim that I'm losing at a rate of 2.5 a month.

A great truth is, 5 pounds is 5 pounds! It's enough to feel a little better I think. After all, every system of one's body is just that much better off carrying 5 less pounds around, and clothes are a little more comfortable. There are studies about what losing 10 pounds can do for the whole body, even parts we don't think of, so I'm claiming half of whatever they say! Dr Oz says it helps, "for heart, liver, knees, pancreas and blood pressure".

Kathryn, those are the reasons I tell dd31 to lose her "baby weight" now, when she is a young woman chasing children. Even though she has more physical characteristics of her father's family than mine, I'm also going to talk to her this visit about having her thyroid monitored. I've learned much too late in life that mine has been making weight loss hard.

Didn't get to exercise or make juice yesterday so will try hard to get those habits in today.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:26 pm

Cucumber, carrrot, apple, swiss chard, parsley, asparagus, spinich

Went down to less cucumber because the juice seemed too liquid last time. Cucumber makes for quantity. Glad to have thought to add the celery back in; it's true celery makes the carrot taste good.

On lots of juicing videos you might see people just chucking in whole heads of celery, whole bunches of parsley right from the store, that sort of thing. Those are centrifugal juicers that can do that; they are very fast and easy, although they do leave more of the juice behind. I have a masticating juicer, so I get more juice out of the produce, but I have more chopping to do. I chop the celery and the stems of the chard because their long fibers will clog the tines of the juicer. I take off the stems of the parsley.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:34 pm

I've done 2 mi. on the ex. bike today plus my walk in the wind today.
Did my total gym upper body work out in the evening.
I do 35 of each.
Last edited by Nancy on Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Lisa B.

Postby Lisa B. » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:23 pm

I've got through my first week of Boot Camp. Wednesday was legs and cardio.....it was raining so we did it in the corridors of the school.

Friday was our first assessment and I think I did pretty well with 37 push ups and 35 sit ups.
“The most effective way to do it, is to do it.” ~ Amelia Earhart
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me.” – Ayn Rand

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:24 am

Lisa B. wrote:Friday was our first assessment and I think I did pretty well with 37 push ups and 35 sit ups.

I think you did pretty well too!

Dd26 is doing some program off the internet and it has 200 squats which she mastered in less than a week. She says it is the fact that she lives in Vancouver and has to walk everywhere (extreme hills, her route from the train to home is the equivalent of 16 stories) plus she only takes the stairs at work from office to office (she is onsite tech support for a large corporation.) Apparently crunches and push ups are coming along much more slowly.

Contrast that to me at 25 years older than her.

I'm up to 15 squats with my 'floor' exercises (non cardio) but these are designed for my back so I use a ball between me and the wall and go down, hold for 5 sec, up and repeat. At first 10 made me feel like I was tearing my leg muscles apart, but now that doesn't happen until 15, so that's good. I don't even try crunches (my back) or push-ups (lazy - although my physio exercise has a push-up like motion so my arms get some work.) I have a ball version of those to protect my back but I'm already up to 80 minutes to do everything each morning (not counting s2s) so I hate to add extras.

Harriet: I lost my baby weight each time. I was 128 when I got pregnant with dd and got back to 132 by the time I was pregnant with ds but that was after living in London for 4 months (thus walking almost everywhere.) With ds it was just over 2 years after he was born and I ran for local council. All the door knocking brought my weight back to 132.

It was after than that I started to have trouble with weight gain. I've been back to 132 at least 2 times since then, the latest in 2004. The first time, was in 1999 and just WW got me there. Then I crossed aged 40 and the second time it took WW and Curves to get me there. Curves is no longer an option due to my back (I've tried to go back twice and each time ended up needing a cane after a week) and now that I've crossed 50, WW doesn't work the same on me as it used to. It works, just slower.

Because of my age and experience, 140 is my goal weight now - when I was 132 a number of people hugged me and were concerned because I was too thin and said something. I find 140 easier to maintain without a lot of exercise, as well.

My back caused 10-15 pounds of weight gain (steroids, eating because of pain and not being able to move) which I almost lost and then I started traveling all the time and the weight just kept going on because I could not get into any eating routines at all. I've been home (except for weekend trips and two big vacations) for just over a year and this is the first time I've had significant weight loss over a year since 2003.

I still have 25 pounds to go to goal weight, which at this rate will take another year and a bit so something will have to change because I know my life won't stay this way for that length of time. I'm hoping things will speed up a bit now that all my energy is going into weight loss, instead of just some of it, which is how Jan - September went.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:26 am

I put on 70 lbs. when I was expecting dson and walked 1 mi. a day to regulate bs for gestational diabetes. With dd I only put on 23 lbs. really watched it was not expecting in the winter.

Last night watched Dr. Songa sp? Gupta's special on CNN I think the last heart attack or some thing like that very informative I'd seen parts of it before. Mon. p.m. there is more or the same one again. Fmr. Pres. Bill Clinton eats no meat, cheese or eggs :shock: don't know if we could do that or not :!: Something to think about.

OK so I'm confused Dr. Oz. has carbs. on his recommended eating prog. like b. rice and other whole grains that spike bs and he's the actual heart doc. One guy had to have a 2nd heart surgery I think they did angoplasty first then the other according to h's dd that's just dumb who so wishes he had the 2nd kind first and argued w/ his doc. about that.

:idea: Could one live with only one bite of turkey every two years at Thanksgiving it would be the hardest I think. Could men folk here learn how to cook w/out butter for basting? Me thinks I might need to cook it or have a talk with them about this. Something I'm considering. I used to use diet 7-up for basting & onion w/ apple juice.
Last edited by Nancy on Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:19 pm

Nancy, these are the big questions for sure. I saw that piece.

As I learn about juicing I run into a lot of info about raw foods diets (close to President Clinton's - nearly vegan). And often I hear the difference between eating one way or another stated as whether it's for "healing" or not. In other words, if someone needs to be healing, they need to eat in a much more restrictive way than they would for prevention during that time, and for heart surgery patients, I'm sure that could be a very long time. I think Clinton is pretty much saying he'll eat this way for the rest of his life. So maybe Dr. Oz is recommending from a heart surgeon's perspective for prevention, but would prescribe a much more restrictive diet for a patient who has had heart surgery.

What I'm learning is that it would be good for almost everyone to eat a "healing" raw foods diet sometimes, 24 hours for instance, just to try to be good to their bodies. I'm trying to eat raw meals, but probably would have a hard time with a day. Now, if I lived alone and had a very calm home without much responsibility one day, I think I could do it.

It is extremely sobering to me to have heard Drs. Caldwell Esselstyn (sp?) and Colin Campbell on Dr. Oz program say that animal protein, including casein found in milk, causes cancer cells to grow; plant protein discourages cancer growth. They said that with experiment after experiment, they couldn't get cancer cells to live on plants, but they did fine on animal protein. Sigh. So that was their explanation for recommending a plant-based diet.

OKay

Postby OKay » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:16 pm

So that was their explanation for recommending a plant-based diet.

hum.....I wonder if they can tell us why animals who only eat plants get cancer? Saying cancer comes from eating animals......but animals only eat plants.....just doesn't make sense to me. HOWEVER, I am the first to admit that i don't have a medical degree and I haven't studied cancer cells, so my logic has no data to support it. :D

Reporting in for accountability - I have a 2 lb weight GAIN from the holidays. Hopefully it is an easy come - easy go weight spike.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:07 pm

What I want to know is what Dr. Oz & Dr. Sanjay Gupta ate with their family for this holiday?! :D

Not much heart trouble in my fam. except my dgranny who had type 2 and did southern fried cooking in the south think Paula Dean only shorter! Speaking of Paula Dean is going to be on Dr. Oz's show mid week Wed. I believe it was she was saying she was ashamed or disgusted at herself I think he's going to be working with her and had challenged her to do a lower fat healthier cookbook in an earlier show unless this is a repeat I did not see all of. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

:idea: I goofed and only put half of the butter in the stuffing no on even could tell! One of those happy accidents :!: :mrgreen:

Is there any hope for a healthier turkey day dinner?

I'm making up a "yes I can have foods list of veg. & fruits." Veg. on one half of the page and fruits on the other. I am not a fan of juicing I need to chew foods it give me a better feeling of fullness.

Breakfast Okay I've figured out two healthy breakfast meals.
V-8 & granola bar
Juice diet cranberry boiled egg

My dr. is a 7th day Adventist and not in favor of meat eggs or cheese sigh.

Here is one link: Info. on the show & clip.
http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/08/19/he ... index.html

This actually looked good! It's like a bean w/ veggie wrap.
http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/roun ... cnn-154900

Dr. Oz in on Face book with tons of info.

Return to “Healthy Habits”