Health and Fitness, August 2008

Share healthy living habits.
Harmony

Re: Health and Fitness, August 2008

Postby Harmony » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:25 pm

Oh, Nancy, so sorry to read of your problems. You must have been really sick to be flown to a hospital. I'm just so puzzled since you always seemed to be exercising and you've lost all that weight and keep it off.

I will say, that's a nudge for me to try harder. For that I say thank you for sharing.

Does diabetes run in your family? Stay well, I hope you feel better soon.

Dove

Postby Dove » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:55 pm

Just wanted to send big (((Hugs))) to Nancy. I'm so glad that you got to the hospital in time!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:14 am

Hmmm ... ... Nancy for feet swelling, maybe do ankle rolls and toe points every once in a while. Didn't think about eyesight needing to get back in line. No, that link won't help much since pocketmod pages are tee-tiny as well.

Elevated blood sugar levels are reduced by doing HoeDowns, a 3-minute T-Tapp move that has free-to-download video instruction on the "Try Before You Buy" page. They studied this at The Cooper Institute in Texas and I think they said it could reduce an elevated level by 80 points within 15 minutes or something.

I am dismayed to have awakened this morning with breast pain and heaviness again. Just days until TOM. My eating has been so ideal (no chazerrai, Twins!), plenty of water, enough exercise, watching my sodium. The only white flour has been that one hamburger bun for Sunday lunch and a Special K waffle about every 3rd day. My hormones are just able to cause trouble to some degree no matter how hard I try with healthy habits. But I console myself thinking how bad it could be if I were neglecting them. Felt better with one Pamprin, which dh insisted I take. I won't take another no matter what - have never taken more than one per month and then only on worst months and refuse to start now.
If you don't believe in miracles, you're not being realistic.

Sadie

Postby Sadie » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:39 am

down another pound! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:19 pm

WTG, Sadie! Weigh in here in the a.m. - I've been back "on program" since trainer returned and I worked out again on Wednesday a.m. so hoping for no gain from the overeating, anyway.

Sadie, is it you who has Aunt Flo off and on still? I skipped April, most of May and had a very, very light visit the end of May, then heavy at end of June and a visit this week also. Wish the old hormones would just give it up and let me go free!
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:04 pm

Very happy for your trend, Sadie. You continue to make the healthy changes you choose - good job.

I'm also going to embarrass Twins' Mom and repost here what she answered in PWYC, because it bears repeating.

I think it was Harmony who asked about my workouts and body changes; I've lost 16 pounds since June 2 and am looking and feeling stronger. My back no longer aches when I walk short distances (I've been walking on the treadmill for 30 minutes at not quite 4 mph the three days I do the weight training.) - Twins' Mom

As for me, I am continuing to fight for 2.5 hours of workouts every week. It does not come easy. Twice in the last week I've switched over to carefree R. Simmons "Oldies" dance-style tapes (they have become a bit corrupted - old) because dd9 will do them "with" me (she is just having fun and will leave and come back at will, but it accomplishes 2 things at once - mother-daughter time and exercise while the heat is so oppressive outdoors). Her daddy taped for her a recent Simmons' tv appearance about the Senate hearings on reinstating PE in elementary schools. It was a little bit eye-opening for her, since she delights in Simmons and he is admittedly much older now than she wants to believe. Still, good for her to hear his arguments and recognize how the issue affects her. For good or for ill, I have ordered the complete "Oldies" 5-DVD set on ebay as a present for her. Cost me over $30 total, but sometimes there's just an investment that you see as right, and it won't be long before fun time with Mom will be uninteresting - I know, raised a daughter before.

For the last two days, though, serious lower body work with Tapp. I want to add arm work plus at evening the arm work Amazon offers in the 5-min video mid-page here at the computer and continue this every day through the 14th, take a day off, and next day is extended-family event.

One-half pound down this a.m. by the skin of my teeth. One pound to go, 9 days left.
If you don't believe in miracles, you're not being realistic.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:08 pm

Checking in:
I'm ok h. got a total gym today at a yd. sale
he's been wanting one for a while.
I'm getting to walk w/ h. again now as I regain strength
and do a bit of gardening.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:19 am

Oh Harriet....(blushing) I didn't say that my hip joints are aching continuously from hip bursitis (I think) and that I'm making a doctor's appointment next week to get his input. I'm scared he's going to say it's water aerobics instead of walking and I have to juggle around more to get fitness in.

Weighed in yesterday and was down 2.75 pounds (that's for two weeks) I think for a total of about 18 - 19 since starting out. Told dh I'd like to loose 20 more but know that will be much slower going. (Just noticed that I have 10 more to lose to get to the maximum for my height and age under WW guidelines.)
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:03 pm

I need to lose 10-15 to be at the maximum for me, according to WW, Twins. You are doing sooo great!!! Congratulations!!!
I do hope you can find some relief for pain, though! You're doing too well to have something put a stumbling block in your path!

Thanks for Harriet for trying to cheer me up re: fluctuation. I know part of it last week was also eating a pretty large lunch 3 days out of 5. Now that I'm back to eating in the cafeteria, I'll brown-bag it and stick to turkey slices, cheese, Triscuits, and carrot sticks. Everybody laughs at me b/c I eat the same thing day after day, year after year... but it's a pretty good mix of protein, fiber, etc., IMHO. I may leave off the cheese, though... I gave it up for the summer, and noticed constipation problems seemed to disappear. How can ONE tiny slice of processed cheese do so much damage, I don't know.

Sooo glad Nancy's feeling stronger and doing well... hang in there!
* Nancy's experience should send me a little more incentive, too, Harmony! Through late dgm's family, I do have a family history of diabetes. Neither parent is diabetic, although ddad has been cautioned somewhat to watch his diet -- for that reason as well as the heart condition. Dmom just told me I would do well to have a doctor like new doctor who will insist on yearly check-ups w/blood work, etc.

WTG to Sadie...
and to Harriet and dd... :D It is sooo good to have an exercise partner in-house! (Another reason I fell off the wagon this week is b/c my walking partner (ds) took off and left me alone! :evil: )

It's nice, temperature-wise, here today, though. I might go out and walk before I s2s.
Tomorrow is another day.

Sadie

Postby Sadie » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:37 am

Harriet, you are doing so well with your work-outs.

Nancy, glad you feeling better.

LucyLee, sometimes I eat the same thing for a meal, my away from home work meal is usually the same for awhile until I find something else.

Twins yes Aunt Flo is off again, on again. Went from Oct 07 to April 08 with nothing and then she was there. Didn't show up again until July. Have PMS a lot yet so never know what's happening with my body.

The weight loss is slowing down lately. Think I have reached the place where just cutting calories and watching the amount of carbs isn't going to do it anymore. Have got to get on a good exercise plan and stick with it.

Return to “Healthy Habits”