Health and Fitness, August 2008

Share healthy living habits.
Sunny

Re: Health and Fitness, August 2008

Postby Sunny » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:50 pm

I think I haven't posted here for a while. It's nice to see all the progress being made here. It does give me
incentive to keep going.

I've been noting just what I've been eating and for a while no results. But since I've not had too many snacks
between meals, no candy (except 1 or two pieces occasionally) and smaller portions I've lost about 3 lbs. So
I guess something is working.
Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible. --- Francis of Assisi

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:27 am

Way to go gals on your progress.

I felt strong on my walk yesterday yea!
I do that after my snack 1.5 mi.
did one shorter in the evening after dinner too .5 mi.

This is my "new normal" now.
I'm glad to be above ground and
reminding my self that house work is exercise and
that it counts!

Life is good, H. is great with me and had a type I diab. granny
and our son is type one too so we know the drill but
insulin has changed and we are learning a lot still.

What I've learned about swollen ankles;
drink more water
eat less salt;
walking helps.
Reading labels is and eye opener for salt content.

[I'm counting carbs and can have candy as long as I count it.
h. is counting his carbs now too and has lost 4 lbs. and a couple of inches off his waist. I've put on 5 lbs. a good thing I needed to b/c I'd dropped below 100 @ 5'4" and was too boney looking.] Up to 120 now yea getting strength back!
Last edited by Nancy on Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:32 pm

Sodium truth on the labeling is an eye-opener, isn't it, Nancy? Dh often calls me over to look at a sodium amount he just can't believe. It's discouraging because a lot of "easy" foods like prepared foods turn out to be culprits. We both have decided it is a real enemy for us. Yes, I'd say gaining a few pounds sounds very healthy for you. Happy you are feeling good with walks.

Hi, Sunny, hope your progress continues. I have occasional candy, too, and just try to be mindful of it. Licorice yesterday, a favorite of mine. For me, white flour is a much worse problem. I am better off "indulging" in a candy or white-flour-free dessert like a pudding, and staying away from roll or biscuit.

Sadie, exercise is hard to get in when you are thinking of so many obligations. You almost feel guilty taking time to exercise if there are other chores that seem to be calling. But I do so much better with it.

My mom ate the same lunch most days at school, lucylee - tuna fish sandwich!. She said there was little time to eat anyway, and it needed to be fast and easy. Now we find out tuna is very good for brain power, so maybe that was good all those years, even though she didn't think she was helping herself much back then.
If you don't believe in miracles, you're not being realistic.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:40 am

Lost a little less than two pounds....down 21 pounds total now.

Funny that at work no one has commented at all, if they've noticed, with the exception of my two closest friends who know I've been working out and whom I update regularly.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:02 pm

Twins way to go on your progress!

I've heard like three comments in the last week
that I look better glad for that.

Near record hi temps here today doing walks early in the am and
later in the pm.

45 min. walks okays by the dr. that's 3 mi. for me
breaking it in to two parts after breakfast and
after dinner works for me.

Trying to decide on the best way to track my new meds.
Maybe on a separate page in my planner.

Blood sugar crashed two times yesterday
after a week of none.
I'm not cold any more with this heat!

Gotta make a salad for a b.b.q. this afternoon.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:24 pm

I'd better come in here and post. The 4 pounds I lost were the end of my losses before the party, so I didn't get to 5 but I was happy. The 4 got me pretty close to the weight I've adopted as my "healthy weight". And it was really a nice achievement for only about 4.5 weeks. At that point I had 9 days left, BUT they did not turn out to be manageable days. I remember that the day we got the chicks was one in which I pretty much had to go for convenience rather than good sense in what I ate. And then having the houseguests on the way, calls coming in to worry me about the party, etc., I got into some emotional eating and stalled.

Right now I have some water weight to pare down again because of eating the way dd and dsil do :roll: and because dh is cooking lately. ;) So I'll stick with sodium counting for a few days. By the way, my favorite sodium-smart and no-white-flour breakfast learned from Prevention lately is this:

1 cup skim milk over
1 cup unsweetened rice krispies or corn flakes

1 individual size unsweetened applesauce
3 tbsp raw unsalted sunflower seeds

Nancy that is good news that people are saying you look better. Glad you are impressing the doctor! What do you do when you realize your blood sugar crashes - are there certain things you eat?

Twins Mom, congratulations on crossing the 20-pound loss mark. That is a line you can hold - you have a lot of self control and have a knack for monitoring numbers! Maybe the others at work just don't feel comfortable discussing appearance or fitness at all. I know several folks who avoid the subject because they worry they might offend no matter what they say.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:22 pm

Can I just vent?

I'm so tired of hips hurting and not feeling right and not being able to walk as much as I'd like and limiting my activities. The prednisone I'm taking for the hip bursitis right now is making me me hungry and anxious and irritable and I feel like I'm eating everything in sight and might as well gain back the weight I've lost.

I'm keeping up with my WW points, and am presently 11.5 over for the week and that's before supper tonight which will put me over even more. I'm not eating anything that's that bad, just a lot more than usual. I had hoped for my weight to be down more by now. We have a family photo next week and I'm not sure I can wear the top I bought for it. :shock:

And I just want to have a good cry right now.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:32 pm

(((BIG HUGS))) Twins. I am so sorry you're having such a rough time w/the bursitis & everything... and then the medicine creates a world of other problems! Easy to see why you're ready to have a good cry!
Just hang in there. It has to get better soon!
You have done sooo, sooo great w/the weight loss! Just b/c you've eaten a bunch today -- or even this week -- doesn't mean it's time to throw in the towel! You won't be on the prednisone forever. It will get better! (((Hugs))) Just come here and vent away -- especially if it keeps your hands busy so you can't eat! ;)
Tomorrow is another day.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:20 pm

Do not give in to "All or Nothing Thinking", ((Twins Mom))!!! Wait a minute, that wasn't enough hugging. [[((( hugs )))]] Okay, now, where was I? Just because things happened a certain way for a day, an hour, a week, doesn't mean every new moment is not STILL a new moment. Eating way too much at a lunch has no bearing on supper. It is still a new supper that stands alone. Good job keeping up with points whether you are pleased with them or not. That is taking lucylee's example and monitoring. Good job recognizing that the "hungry and anxious and irritable" stuff is simply not you , but a med - totally not within your control and NOT your fault. You are not an anxious irritable person. Hopefully the med will do its job but no matter what, it WILL leave your system and leave you alone - this will pass. Some particular top is never magic with photos - I am always :? that somehow I look good by surprise and bad by surprise in photos! Go for a COLOR that is good and smile beautifully... ... TA DA. And guess what? If you don't like it, buy sparingly and have everybody do it again later. 8-)

Since lucylee and I own this book in hardback and maybe others do, and she and I need all the validation we can get, wanted to mention that Fit and Fabulous in 15 Minutes has come out in the $12 paperback edition now, which went into top 10 bestsellers of all books on Amazon for a couple days, still currently number 1 Amazon exercise book, and is sold out until Sept 3 right now. So we must have known what we were doing.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:12 pm

And speaking of Healthy Habits, Harriet, what are you doing posting at almost 11:30 p.m.? You should be in bed, young lady!

Return to “Healthy Habits”