Health and Fitness, December 2011

Share healthy living habits.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Health and Fitness, December 2011

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:03 am

This thread is in the Healthy Habits forum.

So I thought we should list the healthy habits we have formed, putting the focus for this month on what we have, instead of what we want.

If you wish, you can add how those healthy habits will help you achieve your goals for the month or perhaps list a healthy habit you wish to develop this month.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: No new posts Health and Fitness, December 2011

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:11 am

Healthy Habits I have:

1. I move a lot at least 6 days a week. Either walking outside or walking on the treadmill. On the best days, both!

2. I eat berries every day I'm home for breakfast. Most days twice a day.

3. I take a good mix of supplements that seems to keep me from getting ill. I seldom have colds or the flu despite being out in the public, shaking hands or hugging a lot.

4. I drink lots of non-caffeinated liquids.

5. I'm doing my back exercises on a regular basis. And adding in balance exercises. I can see progress with those - without holding onto to anything for balance, I can now bend my knee and grab my foot, hold it behind me against my buttocks and then stand on the remaining foot for a minute. My number of squats is increasing and although I still hate them, I do them even on the days I'm skipping exercises in order to save time.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Health and Fitness, December 2011

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:14 am

The habit I'm going to work on for the month is writing everything down. Whether I'm on program or not, I'll write everything done.

OKay

Postby OKay » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:50 am

Kathryn - those are EXCELLENT habits and goal!!

My physical habits I am maintaining and/or developing are -
** 1000 minutes a month of intentional exercise.
** Drink 80 oz liquid
** Eat something fresh that was grown in my garden
** Use My plate visual to select correct variety & portion of food.
** Weigh daily & stay below goal weight

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:07 am

Daily exercise & food log are my two habits stay on top of my prog. for diab.

I miss calculated the carb count in the home made soup we had for dinner after that I did 4 mi. on the ex. bike. So had to have a granola bar & cheese but stayed in my calorie limit for the day yea!

I made the smoothie with the whey powder it has soya in it not a food I should have all the time tasted wierd, coconut milk got thick in the fridge, the can opener would not fit it so had to use the hand one like for bottles :roll: berries were good made it pretty and purple. Such a mess like cooking, so it did not save any time; but it was a nice change. I will try a pumpkin coconut flavored one on another day.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:40 am

Healthy Habits - I try to keep up with 4 pints of water, 5 servings of veggies or fruit, 2 fifteen-mins of exercise, my supplements and keeping my eating mostly God-made. I sometimes get more water, up to 5 pints. Lately I've been getting only 15 mins of exercise daily. Anyway if I get everything done it would be 14 healthy habits.

It's 17 days until my Calendar Event motivation. I plan to try for more exercise until then, and last night I got in about 25 minutes, the last 10 of which were floor exercises. I haven't done floor exercises in a while but it worked out fine.

Today I've eaten
a berry smoothie
an almond-grain patty with lettuce
single container yogurt with honey
chicken salad sandwich
carrot salad

I certainly weigh more than I did this time last year. I don't think my thyroid hormones have been balanced through this time, although the dr says now it is. If he knew how hard I have to work to lose a pound, I don't think he would be so sure. I'm really reading and trying to do all the right things for my thyroid.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:58 am

I wrote down everything I ate yesterday. You don't want to know.

On the other hand, I had an excellent sleep and got out of bed 8 hours after getting into it (compared to 8.5 to 9.5 hours lately.) Maybe I'm short fat, sugar and chocolate in my diet? (Just kidding!)

So it is 8 a.m. and I'm on my cool down song, instead of my warm up song. I sense today is going to go well.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:27 pm

I've raked the front yard it was warmer than I thought it would be
so much more pleasant than I was anticipating did 3 mi. on the ex. bike too.

Might get in a walk this afternoon it's so nice out 8-)
Changing up my work outs a bit. I've not been doing the total gym or arm wts. this week hoping the leaf raking it good for arms and upper body.

Leaves need to be picked up and loaded in the trailer still too that is pretty tiring so I"m sure it's a good work out ten min. of that seems like 20-30 to me! :roll:

Tracking foods @ sp has been an eye opener I've been thinking I'm doing good then looking and over on say fat content of some foods like peanut butter or cheese oh my so I need to get back to the two salads a day or more veggies. I'm not really restricting foods just trying to see where I'm at on calories etc. ~sigh~ oh well got to begin some where.

At least I'm good on exercise and healthy! Yea.
Okay I did the other exercise for afternoon 30 min. yd. work got another batch of leaves off the ground most are in the trailer some in 2 garbage cans now. Coffee break time.
If you need diabetic info. I like the website dlife.
Last edited by Nancy on Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OKay

Postby OKay » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:05 pm

I just did my monthly body measurements and was pleased to see a 2.74 inch loss since first of last month.

Also HWR (hip waist ratio) is going in the right direction. It dropped 2.45% from a month ago. It is now at 81.33% So I am edging toward the place I want to be (HWR below 80%)

So I've set my goal this month to lose 4 lbs. I am hopeful that will put my HWR in the right range and give a a few lbs flex to stay below doctor recommended weight.

SKIPPABLE >
sharing a dufus moment...... while moving from one location to another in the big city hospital, I had my hands & arms full so I was seeking creative ways to carry everything. I stuck my purse behind me into my jeans waist band and was surprised how good that bulky item fit. My jeans are too big on me so the purse slide down a bit then rested comfortably so one hand was freed up to carry other items. So off I took - walking down probably the equivalent of 2 city blocks (inside big city hospital) and up 2 flights of stairs before arriving at my destination. I unloaded everything from my hands while visiting with family members. After a bit (10 minutes or so) I reached in the pile of items i had carried in to retrieve my purse....BUT IT WASN'T THERE! I tried not to panic, and remain calm while I recalled the last time I had seen my purse. I remembered getting out of the car with it. I remembered entering the hospital with it. I remembered being in the bathroom with it. THE BATHROOM! i about paniced when i remembered sitting my purse on a ledge in the bathroom, but I had no memory of retrieving it. GULP! I did a DOUBLE GULP when i realized it had all our cash money (food, gas, entertainment, etc) for the new month. I went dashing down the 2 flights of stairs and 2 block long hallway to arrive at the bathroom i remembered leaving it in. No purse. I talked to the police officer to see if anything had been turned in - nothing. I went back to the bathroom and leaned over to search the trash can to see if someone had put my purse in there......as I leaned over I felt something bulky on my backside. YUP! My purse was stuck in the back side of my jeans and i had totally forgotten about putting it there. :oops: Someday that might be be a funny memory.....but for now it reminds me that I need to get jeans that fit me better so i can't stuff them full of personal items and then forget where they are. :)

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:59 am

(((OKay))) I'll give you hugs even though it is a funny story and I'm a bit envious that you need new jeans. I don't even need a belt!

Return to “Healthy Habits”