Wheat Belly by Dr. William Davis

Share healthy living habits.
cathyy

Wheat Belly by Dr. William Davis

Postby cathyy » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:02 pm

Has anybody else read this book?

My husband has lost 45 pounds in just a few months by first eliminating sugar from his coffee and tea, and then by eliminating wheat/sugar/most carbs. He eats vegetables, sure, but tries to keep his total carb count under 30 grams a day. I've been on a variant of this diet for close to a decade now, using only artificial sweeteners that don't cause an insulin reaction (like xylitol and stevia and Splenda) and limiting my starchy carbs to about 30 grams a day. I don't lose weight at all if I go no-starch, as he does. I seem to need a few carbs, so I try for low glycemic index ones, like buckwheat and quinoa. I have just recently gone no wheat, so we will see what that does or doesn't do for me.

Harriet

Re: Wheat Belly by Dr. William Davis

Postby Harriet » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:07 pm

Lynlee will be most able to answer intelligently among us, I predict. Does your dh actually have a gluten intolerance that he knows of, or did he do this because sugars/simple carbs are not good for us in general? A wonderful accomplishment for him. Mr. OKay has recently been able to lose a similar amount in a similar way - OKay will know the differences. Perhaps Cowinkie will have something to add, too. No, I haven't heard of that particular book. A friend had given HRH the Carbohydrate Addicts book and told us it worked for him. I am very impressed with stevia, btw. At first the attempts to use it in sodas failed, but I've read that the big soda companies are poised to try again and make stevia-sweetened mainstream sodas available soon.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:04 am

I read a book by a NZ "dr gluten" Dr Rodney Ford on the many problems it causes.
Its best to get tested before going gluten free - there are antibody blood tests. I didn't get that done, but have the ceoliac gene, and suffer consequences when I eat it so am not going down the eat it for ages to suff up my body to test to see if its stuffed up!
I couldn't see the name of the book I read on a simple google search. though I wasn't following the links - just getting his name.

I do not know of that book cathy.
Good luck with sorting things out for you.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

cathyy

Postby cathyy » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:18 pm

No wheat intolerance. It's just that wheat in particular has been so hybridized in the last 50 or 60 years - it's not the same thing our grandparents ate. The book backs up every claim with numerous research studies, all of them peer-reviewed and published in scientific journals. So it's not hysteria backed by fake science.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:04 pm

I read once that the people from the horn of Africa could tollerate their native/original wheat grain so much better that what passes for wheat in this era. I so agree. all the hybrids are for ease of agriculture and economies - not our bellies. It sounds like an interesting book.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:55 am

cathyy, HRH has announced that he is trying no obvious sugars and no breads for a while. Yesterday he stayed very true to this and I was pleased. It helps him if he includes white potatoes, which I know others would criticize, but it keeps him on track. He has lost weight in the past with a similar path.

I did NOT know that info you shared re: hybridization. But it makes sense. My beef with "white flour" is the water retention it causes, impacting so many areas of my well-being. Also, I believe that white flour is the main culprit when I can gain weight so quickly but must lose with such prolonged difficulty, causing frustrations, disappointments, too (and wasting my time). It is so obvious that this product has little to do with the plants cultivated in our past.

cathyy

Postby cathyy » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:19 pm

Certainly potatoes are less troublesome than wheat! We avoid potatoes for the most part due to our diabetic issues and because of how very low-carb my husband prefers to eat. When he reaches the weight range he'd like to maintain he'll add more carbs back in - not wheat, though.

Dr Davis mentioned that there have been some 10,000 different hybridizations of wheat in the past half-century or so, and as already pointed out, they were for agricultural convenience, not health. Because they were done "naturally" rather through direct genetic manipulation (as corn has had done to it) no sort of testing for effect on people was needed or done. And now gluten intolerance is up from virtually unknown to 1 in roughly 100 people.

albana

Postby albana » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:25 pm

Wheat creates devastating results in my body because I have Celiac's disease. I've been suspicious for some time that people without the disease can still have minor issues with the grain simply because of how it's hybridized and processed. Finding out my issue and getting off gluten literally changed my life. I highly recommend going to the doctor to get tested if you're not sure. It makes a huge difference if you actually do have the disease. If you don't have a doctor, you can just find one online at a site like Yelp or locateadoc.com.

Return to “Healthy Habits”