Health and Fitness, January 2012

Share healthy living habits.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Health and Fitness, January 2012

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:18 am

Taking the treadmill a bit easier today. I'll stick at 3.1 mph instead of running it higher when the beat of a song encourages walking faster.

Great sunrise here so I'm glad I'm up and looking that way (the window in the exercise room faces south and, for us, the sun rises in the south at this time of year.)

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:49 am

I have only lost a half-pound in 2012. Since it is almost mid-month, I'm not too excited. There have been a lot of stressors here, putting out fires rather than staying on task. There were days I considered it a victory that I didn't gain.

Lynlee, I found goat's milk yogurt at the healthy grocery, so that would be similar to what you are finding there. I added a little honey and enjoyed it much. I found the texture to be very pleasant.

Kathryn, I hope the eye has stayed content.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:37 pm

Counting snow removal for some exercise today.
Later got in a 5 mi. "ride" on the exercise bike grateful to have that option this time of year. :mrgreen: Down one pound today yippie! #155
Last edited by Nancy on Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:42 pm

Good find Harriet Theres Goat yoghurt here too. Sheeps is cheaper. And I can count both sheep and goats milk products as different food sources. I found some really delicious sheep cheese too. So tasty.
lol. honey puts me to sleep so I stay away from it.
I forgot. On the weekend I bought a pawpaw that needs starting .
I've had improved resiliance against what I consider contraband foodstuff since before Christmas.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:02 am

Harriet: yes my eye is content. Thanks for asking - I had not added it to my 'health' calendar on Google Calendars. All my doctor appointments and health events are put there in order to keep track of them. It was useful when I had to fill in the form about my jaw - I had an exact date when it went out. He said that was unusual except in the case of an accident.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:26 am

Another day starting on the treadmill. I'm eating too much so really need this (I think I eat when I miss dh or perhaps because he can't see/hear how many trips to the kitchen I make.)

Yesterday there wasn't exercise because I had to get out of the house by 8:20. So, despite having to leave today at 9, I'm on the treadmill.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:53 am

Saturday,
3 egg omelet (ours) with onion, red bell and green bell pepper, fried in coconut oil
1 whole sweet potato with butter
tossed salad with a little cheese
2 small enchiladas with corn/tomatoes
4 pints water

I'd say there was a serving of veggies in each meal, but the salad and sweet potato were much more than 1, so I probably exceeded my 5 veggies a day goal.

I haven't been getting back to recording what I eat because I've been so intent on recording other things in the household with new organization going on.

Good job on the treadmill, Kathryn. HRH goes back and forth on the idea of purchasing one, or an elliptical.

Good job on resisting the contraband, Lynlee! I need to tell my darling (grown) children to avoid giving chocolate gifts. Yes, I admire them. No, I don't need them. I think sometimes we get that because they don't know what to get HRH, but it's me who ends up being tempted. His favorite is chocolate covered cherries, and I don't care for them so much, so maybe I should suggest that to the children!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:29 pm

Ex. bike 5 mi. yesterday, today 2 mi. [at least] walk.
BS today was #157 yea for a lower number.

Did okay at the buffet stayed with baked fish and chicken; green salad, green beans, fruit salad, a small dessert, and some ice cream.
Last edited by Nancy on Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:35 pm

Noticed in Parade mag that Dr Oz has put a video of his own 7-minute morning workout on Parade's site. While sitting here after my Basic TTapp workout, I decided to glance at it. Suffice to say, I will not be changing over. Don't let the 7 minutes fool you. There are 50 push ups, several extremely demanding yoga poses, and the "jack-knifes"? no, no, no, not for my back. But both he and his trainer are very informative and interesting, so, worth watching to see what he is doing each morning. He says he does it right out of bed in the morning. Again, no, no, no, not my back.

Today's eating was similar to yesterday, but we had chicken, fried rice and carrots for supper. This evening I was so snacky, so I had half a Lance 6-pack of little cracker sandwiches.

Ya'll are doing so well with stationary bike and treadmill.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:43 am

Harriet: I'm not sure the treadmill/elliptical will work in your household.

We have peace and a routine in ours. We have an 'exercise room' (ds's old bedroom which also serves as dh's dressing room since our bedroom closet is too small for both of our sets of clothing.)

We have daily routine that is occasionally interrupted by an early day out of the house, but not often. We have the equipment set up so we can use the time doing things we would have done sitting (watching movies or being on the internet.)

And we don't have interruptions (unless I'm late getting onto the treadmill and someone calls the house.)

Over Christmas, when our house resembled yours more, we barely exercised at all. Remember, these machines are not silent. Even dh's bike, which has no electric motor, makes a whirling noise I can hear 20' away with both bedroom doors shut and there's a stairwell between rooms, no common walls. It isn't enough to drive others who are awake nuts, even the treadmill doesn't make too much noise to the room below, but it is definitely enough to unsettle someone who is not part of the routine. In your household, that may not work unless your dad is getting deaf.

Ours are big, expensive, heavy, items that meant a commitment of space and inconvenience. We honour that commitment but our lives are different than most people's lives.

The Nordic Trak ski machine (no longer made) worked better for us back when I had a more 'normal' life but I hardly did it at all compared to the treadmill. Of course, that was just for exercise, whereas the treadmill also keeps me able to walk without a cane so there's a really, really, good reason to make the effort.

Return to “Healthy Habits”