Health and Fitness, January 2012

Share healthy living habits.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Health and Fitness, January 2012

Postby Nancy » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:24 pm

Today my bs was in my target range yea! A good way to begin the day.
Good things going on here this week h. got ex. by doing some work around the out side cleaning gutters & going to the dump yesterday.

Today he's on the ex. bike. I'll do my 30 min. later.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:57 am

Made it to the treadmill for a third day in a row. This part of having an empty nest is nice (we didn't workout much during the holidays partly because of sleeping guests.)

I also did my light therapy yesterday. I didn't get moving until 11 a.m. and I had a few ADD moments in there (especially with the laundry) but I did accomplish a lot. Ended the day filling in the 5 page questionnaire for my appointment today.

Since Christmas day, my jaw has become virtually pain free so I had considered cancelling the appointment but the squishy sound was still there so I kept it. Yesterday was choir practice and my jaw has been very sore since then. Christmas Day was the last day I sang. At choir they were trying to get me to pull my tongue down and back and open wider and rounder to make a purer 'o' sound and that's when the discomfort started. So I added that to the form.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:31 am

http://ginews.blogspot.com/
GI newsletter - Lots of interesting subjects this month. (IMO)
habits - the how long to get a new one varies it seems
glucose and will power/decision making
diets weight loss plateaus
health at every size.
strokes & diet
3 recipes - vegetarian
plant protein sources
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:08 pm

Last night I thought of a card for all my My Meds. Card with Rx. & med. info. on it with supplies I like to use for my card file. I don't know why it did not occur to me before to do this it will go behind the Health & Fitness divider. Could be great idea for those with elder care duties too. I'm working on that one this week.

B.S. was like eight points above my new target range but okay with that I guess.
walk x

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:02 pm

Today I've been working on leaf removal, I have the trailer full again time to start bagging up leaves. Got my walk in today also.
:idea:
On Dr. Oz yesterday I was encouraged to learn about the benefits of carrots and other yellow foods as I've been having carrots for a snack instead of something unhealthy.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:38 pm

Lynlee, I enjoyed the newsletter. I knew I'd heard "Meatless Monday" way back in the annals of time, lol, and I bet it was from history lessons about Hoover, WWI, etc. I have the third book recommended in that list, Neil Barnard's. I've got to admit I'm a little worried/fearful of stopping the "dieting" or "weigh-in" mentality. I fear that if I just forget it and go over to healthy-only planning that my weight/size will creep up, or that change will happen very slowly with missed opportunity, etc. I'm totally on board with the concept of health as the priority, but I remember times that if the scale hadn't been there for me I would have foolishly gained a lot more weight at different times.

Was listening to radio with HRH as we drove this week and heard a PBS interview about set-points, plateaus, etc. The thinking of one scientist was that the body remembers one's highest weight and will continue to head in that direction, so that any weight under that will always be work to keep (but of course, worth it). I know, that's not very happy thinking, is it? But his advice was to tell our children to be more diligent, rather than the usual thinking which is that they are young and can lose the weight, so it's not a problem until they are older. They did say that time spent at a high weight might be "ignored" by the body for the future if it didn't last long and they guessed as much as a year might be ignored - they weren't sure. It doesn't work at all for low weights, btw.

I actually enjoyed the Mercola guest spot on Dr. Oz, but yes some of it was things we already know. I want to listen to it again. I was a little dismayed to hear them advocate taking Vitamin K with Vitamin D because they work together. My multi doesn't include K and I don't think I'll be spending money on another supplement. There were good tidbits of info from Oz throughout the show to the end, but how ridiculous to listen to the woman in the short video who tried to make a case that Ubinquinol (CO-Q 10) is a "brand new" or "cutting edge" idea. I've been taking it for 20 years minimum, and knew everything the woman said about it that long ago - it's been in book after book and Oz himself recommended it in his first season. Producers really should have caught that. Nancy, I have yesterday's recorded but haven't had a chance to see it yet.

I've done Basic workout every day this week except those I had Dr.'s appts to think about - I just don't seem to be able to settle after those and get back into routine. HRH bought SmartChicken fresh breasts and is very impressed with them. I'm getting my water drinking back up.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:24 am

Lynlee, that's a good newsletter. I copied two of the recipes, the chickpea one and the cauliflower one. They look good. I think meatless is the way to go now and then.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:13 am

Glad you liked the newsletter harriet & harmony.

Personally I have a beef about criticizm of the word diet. In my mind its whatever we eat. We all have one. What they are on about is "to diet" as a fad thing, a yoyo thing. imo. And I cannot do "moderation" on what doesn't suit me to eat. I cannot see that diet really is a dirty word.
I felt fat at 60k. Was there just a short time. 50-53k is where I stay if I eat what is good for me. I step on scales every so often too. I need see things are stable. There have been times I have lost 10k in 2wks - without trying. When I was sick for instance. Managed to stop that 20years ago. touch wood. Worst weight was 31.3k when I had guardia and nothing would stay in me one way or the other. Someone said to me that can really damage innards - seems like needing to curtail food beyond artificials has been since then. I am on lookout for any loss of appitite - sick feeling on eating.
Keep doing what works for you Harriet. I wouldn't be overly concerned of pateaus. It will sort itself out in time - or maybe thats the weight that suits you best. finding time to exercise as suits you is beneficial on so many levels. the ttap lady had great things to say about weight loss.

I had a good talk to dd today on need for regular (good) food and exercise. She said its essential for her not to turn grumpy. I told her of the probiotics research too..
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:22 am

Lynlee: having met you, I can see why you'd feel fat at 60 kilos. At 60 kilos, I'd be at my ideal weight (not my goal weight which is higher.) Last time I weighed that, people hugging me told me to not lose any more weight.

On the treadmill again. Nothing to report but at least I showed up. At least this is the Healthy Habits thread so showing up is part of developing the habit.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:58 pm

BS #135 today happy with that reading! :)
Other than a mutilple vit. I've stopped taking suppliments other than metamucil, just not in the budget and I can't tell a difference. So I"m wondering if they really matter.

Tweaked my back helping h. get the other utility trailer loaded. I've done a walk. 8-) This has turned out to be a lovely day. Taking it easy for now.

My weight is the same

Return to “Healthy Habits”