Health and Fitness March, 2012

Share healthy living habits.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Health and Fitness March, 2012

Postby Nancy » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:21 pm

Today I got an invite to my 40 yr. hs reunion boy does that ever make me feel old! :o

I am thinking it only took dgd 20 min. to mess up the house from being staged! LOL!
We are back from town, trash can is back from the road.
I did a short walk this morning thinking we would have rain this afternoon but it's sunny out. 8-) Yea so dgd & I have been outside playing in the play house. Got it organized a bit and found the Easter eggs I thought I would have to buy and the basket so dgd has been hunting eggs!

Did some yard work this afternoon to finish off my exercise for the day got leaves between us and the neighbors in the front raked up and loaded din to the utility trailer.
Last edited by Nancy on Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kally

Postby Kally » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:47 pm

Harriet, I bookmarked the vitamin D table. I could get vitamin D from 11:30 am to 1:40 pm. How much of your skin needs to be exposed for this to be of benefit?

Nancy, you aren't old. My 50th hs reunion will be in three years. Now THAT is old. :shock:

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:11 am

I've had a play with the Vit D link. April 25 - our anzac day gets some 50's. That has dipped to high 40s by May. I must say it can be really hot and sunburn happens easily still then(anzac day). I do wonder if longer exposures work when the numbers are lower. Here people are warned to stay out of the sun around those times.
OK - just ran one for summer solstace. Maybe over 60 is too too much. thats 10 - 2 in round terms. It gets to 50 before 9am. Actually - in summer I try for "incidental sun" and try to stay out of it as much as possible.
With the promotion of sunscreen here many people/children are Vit D deficent.
I think I worked out we are similar to parts of Florida though maybe all things are not equal.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:05 am

For those who feel they sunburn relatively easily, 20 minutes is supposed to be about it for getting UVB rays near mid-day. They say many caucasian people will notice their skin turns slightly pink at 30 minutes, which is okay, but no more. If you know you'll have a long exposure away from home, you probably do need to take sunscreen along.

I am especially glad to have this guide to see that I can get healthy sun earlier than I used to think I could in the hot summertime. 11:00 may be very pleasant here in July, on the very day that 1:00 will turn uncomfortably hot, so If I can go out at 10:30 or so, I'd rather do that!

Kally, Dr. Mercola talks about his decision-making on that question and says that as a man, he feels he should get his shirt off and also expose his legs to take advantage of the sun. He doesn't advise women much at all that I've ever heard - wise man!! LOL! I just go in my backyard in shorts and a top that is obviously clothing (I don't want to look like I'm in a bra, just in case), but lets midriff, arms and most of neckline show. I wear a hat since I do color my hair, and, if I lie down, I cover part of my face and hair both with it. Facial skin is more fragile than any other skin and has already had a lot of lifetime exposure anyway, so there's no need to ask much of it when the rest of the skin can do the work. I watch my watch and notice when it's been 20 minutes.

My days are never the same, so I can probably only get this done a few times a week. I was just thinking that when dd32's family comes that will be 3 days I won't be able to think of this. We'll want to have an Easter Egg Hunt but no way will Grandma have time for changing clothes!

Kally

Postby Kally » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:09 pm

Thanks for the information, Harriet. My backyard is not private, but I think I can figure something out. I have fair skin (mostly English & Irish heritage, with a quarter German thrown in), so I burn easily & do not tan at all.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:45 pm

Got my Rx going then walked 30 min. in w-mart while that was being filled. I had h. drop me off and I did my walk to see the goats and came home had some things on my mind to process it was great for that.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:28 pm

I did the Basic workout last evening.

I was really hit in the face by a full-page advertisement for nutri system's 40 percent off right now. But really, when I look at the site it is still quite a commitment (you only get the good price if you sign up for regular monthly deliveries). Also all their "bars", which are quite tasty according to HRH , are made basically of soy and I don't want that much soy in my diet. Yes, the frozen choices do look good, but I don't have a stand-alone freezer to take a month's worth. I looked at the WW Smart Ones and Lean Cuisine sites and realized if I was going to go with prepared foods, I could probably do as well with them just a week at a time finding sales.

I'm trying to have a salad a day. Trying to keep sugar minimized. Haven't had bread much - did have pasta the other day. My weight is not really going up, it's just not going down. I am on the cusp of a loss, but that continues day after day, zig-zagging along. The last time I had a loss was when? I'd need to look it up here, but it wasn't March and in February there was very little if any. Yesterday the single-serving size of peanut m and ms did me in as if I'd had a huge restaurant meal. I knew better, but it was so small!

Found it:
"In Nov I lost 2.5 and in Dec I lost 2.5, then in Jan I lost 1..."
February I did great with exercise - that's valuable.
March isn't making much difference, though! Sigh! I'll keep on trucking.
I still have 4 mornings to convince the scale March continues a trend!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:27 pm

But then I got sick! :lol: Oh well, gotta laugh. If I were sick with a tummy bug, I'd probably lose weight but noooo, sick with sore throat, swollen glands and continuing cough. (Getting better) Have doubled my probiotics because I'm taking antibiotic. Remembering the doctor who cautioned me, "When you hear antibiotics, you need to think of probiotics."

I did manage to get back to Basic Workout this evening. That's not so hard that it's "pushing it" but enough to keep me limber and move the lymph system. Have generally felt a little optimistic and got in some long-awaited creative time.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:29 am

I got on the scales this week it was the same.

Did get a bit more of a walk in 1/2 mi. that I walked fast due to wind and rain more fresh air helped.

Return to “Healthy Habits”