Health and Fitness March, 2012

Share healthy living habits.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Health and Fitness March, 2012

Postby Nancy » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:31 pm

Thanks!
I did my ex. on the bike it's too cold wet and rainy to do it outside.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:12 am

I got an outside walk done yesterday and am on the treadmill today. I'm pushing it by using the music mix I had on the ship which is much more aggressive (on the ship I could go much faster because I didn't have my computer in front of me so wasn't limited to 3.2 mph.)

I've spent this time downloading updates and rebooting my computer in an attempt to get it to run properly. It hadn't been updated for over a month and needed new Windows updates plus updating virus, plus reregistering virus protection and then downloading the new version of the virus program (why that wasn't one step instead of three reboots, I don't know.)

I still haven't got on the scale yet.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:56 am

I walked & shopped yesterday for my exercise.

Lisa B.

Postby Lisa B. » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:32 pm

((Nancy and Kathryn)) I'm holding thumbs that you both will lose the weight gain.

Boot camp for me starts again tomorrow for the next 4 weeks, yay. I'm feeling a result in my hands as my wedding ring set is now a little large for me.....this when my hands are so small as it is.

According to my scales, I've lost another +/-4kg (approx 8pounds). I'm still not seeing it though myself. Colleagues are telling me at work that they can see a difference.
“The most effective way to do it, is to do it.” ~ Amelia Earhart
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me.” – Ayn Rand

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:31 pm

Phew dgd & I tried taking a walk but it was breezy and cool so we only went around the block. Quite a few folks were out trying to enjoy it as well at least it was not raining here today!

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:18 pm

I walked & shopped yesterday for my exercise. Ex. outside with fresh air helps my attitude more but it's raining outside now ~sigh~ oh well maybe I can get on the ex. bike in a bit.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:01 pm

Hmmm.... ... I am doing some adding on behalf of LisaB... ... the numbers look good. I'm thinking there was a milestone in there... ... :) I know you are happy about the measurements, and the notice coworkers have mentioned, Lisa.

Nancy, fresh air is great but if it is really windy I can't enjoy time outside. I just don't do well with it and will get an earache. Once on a beach trip long ago I thought it wouldn't matter since it was so warm, but I still got sick-ish and even had a windburn on my face to add to my misery!

Agreeing with Lisa that Kathryn and Nancy can lose this weight. Now, about Harriet... ... I'm not so sure! :? Wonder why I am such a stall-out now when early winter allowed me some loss. Oh well, I still have a little time before the end of month check again.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:05 pm

(Kathryn) my fingers are crossed.

Good job Lisa!

Nancy, so many of us struggle with our weight even though we keep trying. There's got to be more to it than they've discovered.

I'm doing better than I was I guess. Eating less with all the sewing. I know it's not a strenuous activity, but I am up and down and up and down. And I am too preoccupied in my mind to think much about food, find sometimes I'm really hungry but not wanting to stop to eat! I'm about 7 lbs. down from what I was after Christmas...but before everyone starts cheering, most of that was Christmas cookies that I needed to get off anyway. I haven't been successful at getting the scale to move down any further though.

We continue to take a nice long bike ride every couple days. The eliptical has been moved into our bedroom to make room for the baby crib temporarily and I hate that thing being so close to the bed. It's not only in the way when I put on sheets, it's annoying to look at when I know I'm not using it at all.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:31 pm

Yesterday I did a walk in the rain short.
I did another short walk today it was cool and a bit of wind outside.
I did my wall push ups yesterday and walked in place last night before bed when I watched the news for 20 min. as I had been getting shorter walks in to help.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:08 pm

Vitamin D table for your exact location...
Found out about this US Naval Observatory table from yesterday's email newsletter from Dr. Mercola. In fact, he has a YouTube video to show how to use it which should be easy to find if anyone wants to - he's a good teacher. But basically, you use Form A for the US and Form B for other countries (USNO has already computed US latitutes, etc, but for elsewhere you can type it in). If you want the info for a different date, just type it in. Then it takes you to a table made up just for that location, with the time of day on the left and the amount of UVB in the middle. Go to 12:00 noon. What you are looking for is UVB over 50, because 50 is the magic number at which a person can make Vitamin D from the sun.

US Naval Observatory Sun Azimuth Table

I was surprised to see that today I could have gotten Vitamin D sunshine as early as 10:50 and as late as 1:30, so there have evidently been many previous days when I could have been out there getting some sun if I had known! (You can put in any date you want to figure out your area better. Also it is automatically clocked for the area's time, whether daylight savings or not.) There are about 2.5 hours available to me now (on sunny days - obviously cloud cover changes things), and the window is growing.

Another surprising thing I learned is that the areas of your skin that were exposed are busy working, converting a type of cholesterol into Vitamin D after your sun exposure. If you wash those areas with soap afterward you could actually stop the work your skin is doing. I had no idea of that.

Return to “Healthy Habits”