Health and Fitness March, 2012

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Health and Fitness March, 2012

Postby Harriet » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:57 am

What do you need from March to benefit your level of health and fitness? Starting a new month brings a new opportunity for fresh starts in any area that may benefit us. That may be something we are DOING (exercise, water), something we are NOT DOING (desserts, sodas, late nights) or somewhere we are RECORDING (calendar, planner, cards, apps!).

Is there a goal you want to report or a problem you want to share for tips or ideas? Have you accomplished one of those proactive medical things that make us all flinch to hear about, but you are SO COOL for doing? 8-) We hope you'll post with us!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Health and Fitness March, 2012

Postby Nancy » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:20 pm

:idea: Singer Davy Jones a vegetarian died of a heart attack has me rethinking the diet changes that I was considering!

My weight is the same but to be honest I do not care as I am healthy if doc. does not like it well tough I've done my best w/ out starving my self not going to do that.
Last edited by Nancy on Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:01 am

Anyone who made her friends listen to so much fretting in February should bring a complete report in March, so here goes.

10 hours of exercise workouts for the month was my goal and I made that, yay! And I ended the month well into 55-min every-other-day workouts.

I also hoped to lose a bit of weight but didn't, boo! For the height of boredom on that front, my weight this morning was exactly the same as February 1st. That's okay.

But when I took my measurements I had ¼-inch decreases at ribcage and both arms in February, so I'm pleased with that. I may be too conservative at waist and abs. Maybe I did lose some more there, but it's hard to measure, because that's where we are poofy, you know? I'm trying to measure the same way every time and I measure more than once to double check.

For March, I will set a goal of 3 full (as T-Tapp rates them) workouts per week. That ought to keep me at or above 10 hours a month, still. And I'll set the 2-pound goal again. I think I do have hope this time, because my body will be getting used to more exercise.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:11 am

Today I went to the pool for an hour exercise. Exercises as I remember them from maybe a decade ago. I forgot my drinking water, or any in water weights but think holding myself in the water - tummy tucked etc - and lots of movement will have been good for me none the less. Forgot goggles too - might try for a little swimming too next time.

WTG Harriet on Feb workouts. Lost inches count for sure. Any weigth not accounted for may be muscle building so not to sneeze at that.

Nancy - I think its more about living/eating well as you can as it suits you that counts. GL as you tweek diet/being the food you eat - as opposed from following some ridged plan.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Lisa B.

Postby Lisa B. » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:15 am

I'll add mine so far:

Last week, I lost another 1.2Kgs during the second week of bootcamp.
I've registered and paid for the next camp, so will continue for another month at least.
Next week is week 4 (final week) of the current bootcamp.

Last months bootcamp (Jan/Feb) I lost a the following totals off my measurements.
Chest: 3.0cm
Waist: 2.0cm
Hips: 5.0cm
Right Arm: 2.0cm
Left Arm: 2.0cm
Right Thigh: 4.0cm
Left Thigh: 0.0cm (go figure)
“The most effective way to do it, is to do it.” ~ Amelia Earhart
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me.” – Ayn Rand

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:13 pm

Help please:

I have a very sore left breast. It was sore off & on before I left but often gets sore when my period is due. That period was skipped and the soreness did go away after getting on the ship but returned when my period arrived on the 18th and has not left since. It gets worse and better, not the same all the time and is a dull ache.

I had a friend book a doctor appointment for the day after we get home. The doctor's office suggested seeing the ship's doctor in case it is an abscess or infection but the doctor here has very few meds so I don't see the point.

Any ideas for home-made remedy in the meantime (hot compresses/cold compresses, massage or other ideas.)

Has anyone had anything similar.

Stress obviously makes it feel worse - when I think about it, like now, I get quite sore. My tight bras aggravate things too.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:03 pm

Breast pain was the way in which my ob-gyn first diagnosed PMS for me.
You may remember, my symptoms were definitely there as I began to skip periods, too.

If it is continuing as water-weight gain/pressure, and that does seem likely with its time of onset, (and I hate to say this to a person on vacation) avoid sodium, especially white flour but also just foods that seem sodium-rich, and drink extra water. The B vitamins, especially B-6, are what my doctor prescribed for breast pain, and the reason she wanted me on a multi-vitamin with Vitamin E (I believe you already get E). She also said no coffee, because coffee seems to aggravate breast pain, and I can only assume it is the caffeine, so be mindful of how much cola or tea or even chocolate you are getting right now

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:01 pm

Continuing to think swelling pressure pain, which is certainly what I hope it is :

This from Mayo Clinic
"Taken before or at the onset of your period, NSAIDs such as ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, others) or naproxen (Aleve, Naprosyn, others) can ease cramping and breast discomfort.

Diuretics. When exercise and limiting salt intake aren't enough to reduce the weight gain, swelling and bloating of PMS, taking water pills (diuretics) can help your body shed excess fluid through your kidneys. Spironolactone (Aldactone) is a diuretic that can help ease some of the symptoms of PMS."

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:05 pm

Herbal lemon tea or sliced lemons in water are a natural diuretic.
Walking helps move lymph around but seems you have been doing that.
Midol is mostly aspirin you might ask and see if anyone has some.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:12 pm

Way back a while ... I seem to remember needing a soft tissue or hanky between nipple and bra.
One time I did have an infection with discharge (that was sent to pathology) that cleared with antibiotics. I can't recall if the two were linked.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Return to “Healthy Habits”